Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Acclaimed guitarists you don't get

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by skantzos, Sep 25, 2017.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Something tells me she's not gonna ask, Sorry, wrong team.

Reggie77 and 2 Headed Goat like this.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    To each their own, I LOVE Zappa. He did lose me a bit in the mid to late 80's, though.

Humscruddle likes this.

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Like Frank, surely I jest ;) Frank's a freak'n gawd!!! I never got to see him live, but caught the first Zappa Plays Zappa, (with Bozzio & Vai) & The Grand Mothers

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    You certainly fooled me. Boy am I confused...

5. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Those frickin' shreds vids! I had forgotten about the one with the orchestra. Laughing my you-know-what off over here.

I think there are two large groups of guitarists and guitar fans, and it may be generational to a degree as well.

1) If you grew up on blues, classic rock, fusion, etc from before 1980s, you tend NOT to like what happened in the 80s and after. From SRV to Satriani, etc, the guitar techniques became "cleaner" and seemingly more "practiced." Bonamassa is super clean, even when he wails. This is true with most country players between 70s and 90s. The technique from generation to generation snowballed into tighter, cleaner, more polished playing. Less "raw." Even compare jazz recordings. The modern players are basically perfectionist shredders. Miles wasn't a shredder, definitely NOT a perfectionist, which is why most loved him and loved playing with him.

2) If you grew up on 80s metal and/or blues and anything later, you tend NOT to like the apparent less-polished playing of those that came before. The mindset of players in the 60s and 70s wasn't perfection on a note-to-note basis. It was feel, vibe, and honestly, most of them were drunk, stoned, or more. :) But there's an honest/humble human element that is felt. Someone mentioned that shredders come off as sounding like "video game music." That says it right there, from the 80s on, what fully entered our zeitgeist? Video games! The robotic quantized perfection has greatly influenced our music and listening expectations.

So my answer is emo music...wait, what was the question?

Teleposer likes this.

6. ub

ub TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Got to get this out of my system: Keith Richards! Been thinking about this for many years and recently been searching the internet to find good sounds out of his hands. I cant find anything.

troy2003 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The rhythm tones on that album were nothing special, but I was impressed enough with Slash's lead tone that it moved me to purchase my first Les Paul and Marshall.

8. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Holic

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    I believe you didn't "get" him, but he was acclaimed?

hrstrat57 likes this.

9. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, and Steve Vai

Tony Forman and troy2003 like this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Lol!

Actually there are two regular guys....

Today was Jimmy Page guy.

Then there is SRV/KWS guy. SRV guy is pretty good, chops copied direct from the recordings. Good tone. Jimmy Page guy not so much.

Then there is Jaco the bass guy....

Hilarious.

From what I can see none of the three ever buy anything.

stringslinger and Darkness like this.

11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    The way things are going, I'm afraid we should try harder and appreciate all, because it's been a long while since a new guitar wizard appeared (please correct me if I'm wrong). Not only that, but there are several classic rock guitar players that remain underrated: when a guy named Jimi Hendrix listened to a new band named Chicago nearly 50 years ago, he was blown away. He praised their guitarist/singer Terry Kath, and even said that Kath was a better guitar player than him.

Darkness likes this.

12. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McGeoch

This gentleman blew me away many times over the years. His work in PiL was really cool and totally different from how, I think, most guitar players would have approached the kinds of changes and song structures that Howard DeVoto and John Lydon threw at him.

Teleposer likes this.

13. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    Someone I never got? Pretty much anything shred.

Reggie77 likes this.

14. rave

rave Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2011
    Los Angeles
    That is very funny!

jazzman1021 and Reggie77 like this.

15. Reggie77

Reggie77 Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2017
    Connecticut
    I know, it's too bad

16. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    All acclaimed guitarists have something to offer.

Even though Satriani/Vai et al, don't float my boat, so what?

I really don't look on guitarists as if they are some competition winners in Olympic sports. I just use the guitar as an INSTRUMENT for its place in composition.

Guitar music bores me. Those that show off on guitar bore me. But now and again, I think 'that was a nice guitar part, tastefully done'.

I'm the exception probably.

I just love guitars for the sake of them being guitars. I love people who love them too. I love to see an old fool when it comes to guitars. I laugh. But I don't mock. I know.

At the same time, I have immense respect for real players like Larry Carlton, who only owns a few guitars, only needs the odd one or two for him to express his craft. Guys like that humble me.

I might have wandered off topic. Forgive me.

Darkness and hrstrat57 like this.

17. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2016
    UK
    If you like John McGeoch and PiL then you probably like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Edmonds

Lu plays for a lot of people, but he's quite well known for his work with the Mekons.

I know Tom from that band, and he's not a brilliant guitarist, but he can strum with the best of them!

John Lydon being the missing link. Finsbury Park boy. Like the rest of us.

I'm not in to technical guitarists. It's not a penis envy thing for me. I just don't like it. I like guitarists that can make the instrument sing.

John McGeoch, Lu Edmonds. Masters of their craft. They are hard to pin down because they don't play fast like Vai and Satriani. But they have that 'something'.

I'm not criticising Vai and Satriani. God, they are absolute masters of their craft too. But the guitar is a very expansive instrument.

This is something that is very difficult to put in to words.

dr_tom likes this.

18. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Despite listening to a lot of Jeff Beck's music down the years, I'd never bought any of his albums. However, Sky Arts (I think) broadcast a programme called Jeff Beck - Live at Ronnie Scott's. It was recorded in 2008 and had Vinnie Colaiuta on drums, Tal Wilkenfeld on bass and Jason Rebello as keyboard player, and I enjoyed it so much that I tracked down the CD.

In my opinion, it's a great piece of live work and I'd recommend it.

Reggie77 likes this.

19. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Phew - I'm glad that you ignored the thread title and instead posted to praise John McGeogh. I love his work with Siouxsie and Magazine.

dr_tom likes this.

20. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Lump the less is more gang in with these guys too. I don’t care how many notes are used if the end result is something that resonates with me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.