Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC30 volume question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by harphunt, Dec 7, 2018.

1. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Good Morning. In my internet searches for all things ac30 (and 15), I have found that most believe the ac30 to be a very LOUD amplifier. While I would agree that viewpoint applies to the older, NON-master volume amps, do you believe that it holds true with the more modern, master volume models?

While it would take cranking a non-MV amp loud to hit a sweet spot, do you think usable, sweet spot tones can be had at reasonable, gigging volumes with an AC30C2, for instance?

Curious as to what others think or have experienced. Thanks!

peace

2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    short answer: yes, kind of. The AC15 sounds a lot better at living room / small gig volumes. The AC30 comes into its own on bar gigs and stays there until Shea Stadium. My experience is that it'll sound OK at living room volume -- then you turn it up and remember how good it really does sound.

Paul G. likes this.
  3. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

Jan 5, 2011
    Poland
    I have an AC30CC1. Sure, it is loud. BUT the warm setting supposedly outputs 22 watts. Couple that with a speaker which is not too efficient and it is not out of the question to dime the master volume. Especially in a room with some sound-proofing / absorbers. The master volume in the CC series is pretty good, too, not a tone-robber IMHO.

4. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

Feb 29, 2016
    EU
    Depends on what your sweet spot is. Is it overdrive, or just cleanish jangle? With a master volume you can achieve overdrive without turning it up loud. And preamps tend to need the volume turned up to a certain point to deliver the goods anyway.
    But it won't be the same as turning up an old non-master version or turning up the master on a modern version.

Both of those classic sounds are IMO generated when the output tubes start to work hard. And that will only happen with the master turned up.
    At that point you're way beyond living room levels, also with the AC15. At least if it was my living room with me in it...

5. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    I have an AC30CC2 with blues. Even at the 22 watt setting, it's @$%@$ loud when cranked. I use an attenuator I built with it.

6. harphunt

harphunt TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Michigan
    I appreciate the responses and would like to hear more!

I own both a 15 and 30. I play the 15 close to dimed at home (yes it is loud, but my family is tolerant). I got the 30 because there wasn't enough headroom in the 15, even in rehearsal - ok but not ideal.

I tend to play at break-up, jingy jingy rhythm and an overdrive or boost for solo. It seems to me I get a decent sound out of the 30, but have a weber minimass to experiment with louder gain settings coming for Christmas (I think).

peace

7. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    The circuit naturally pushes mids, especially upper mids, and the traditional pair of Greenbacks or Blues are really sensitive speakers. This combines to give the Vox a lot of volume right where the ear is most sensitive. That's a whole lot of why people say they're so loud - they'll really punish the ears when cranked.

I used my Top Boost based frankenamp with a Marshall cab loaded with those speakers back in the summer to test the cab wiring. Not a good pairing at all IMO. Greenbacks and an attenuator would be a good pairing to let you crank the power up while still being acceptable in small rooms.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.