Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

AC15

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by *DannyBoy*, Jun 28, 2013.

1. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    Has anyone ever made a layout for this schematic.

I have had a go but its not turning out great.
    If you have one could you share it with me.
    danielsmith1@nhs.net
    ac 15 schematic.jpg

2. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted

Dec 11, 2009
    Bloomington, MN
  3. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    I have seen these before and have been wandering how it matches up to the original. The thing is I have just been given an empty JMI chassis and old vox ac15 cab.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Super advanced circuit 5 out of 5 difficulty.

Way back in the TDPRI archives I built an ac15 top boost amp with lots of irl (in real life) guidance, norm channel with tone, top boost channel. I can send that layout if interested, I built it with the gds amps transformers. Sounds amazing.

I'd be majorly impressed to see someone build the ac15 and post it here!
    I'm not sure anyone fabricates the 90 degree chassis anymore, apparently weber used to but stopped.

6. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    That would be great, there's a guy in the UK on eBay selling 90 degree chassis.

7. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Woah!
    It's been a while since I peaked at a real vintage ac15. I think you'll need two circuit boards if you want the amazing vibrato. I think on amp garage several guys have posted their exact clones, I remember googling some gut shots.
    Here's what you can build with my layout. If you made a nice face plate that would be pretty slick, and this is only three pre tubes vs the six (I believe) need for a real ac15.
    The "presence" is just Vox's cut wired in reverse.
    To make this basically graft the vox ac30 top boost schematic to the ac15 power section and skip the trem :)

Attached Files:

8. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    That's cool, obviously an exact ac15 clone would be nice, but more viable to use your layout, how often do I use vibrato, vary rarely. But hey, after this build a stand alone reverb/trem unit will be a piece of cake. I played a 1960 ac15 once and it was like angels shouting aggressively and I loved it.

I use my modern ac15 for giggin, but it is very much a work horse. Not bad but not Vox :(

9. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    So true. It takes a person with a taste for bright tones. I think of it like spicy food, you get used to the burn. I can email you a big pic of the layout, it's hand drawn and messy but correct (though I'd recommend checking to the schematics). Sadly, I've been meaning to redraw it forever and haven't had the time.

10. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    Yeah man fire it over, I can match it up. As long as I can achieve that tone I'm good. I'm in no rush to get it done. I was very lucky to be given the chassis and cab in the first place.
    Email: danielsmith1@nhs.net
    Thanks

11. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    I so like the multicolor knobs.

12. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    What speaker are you running in that thing. Iv got some goodmans audium alnico, six of them to be exact. Wonder if one will sound good in this build

13. axehack

axehack TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
  14. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    I was going to launch into the speaker thing.

Red fang. Bright chimey amp + big Alnico = a win.

Thanks printer! I was autistic-ly thinking. Blue for bass, yellow for treble, green for mids-y presence/cut.

Ok, I'll fire up the desktop and email it :). The Top Boost circuit is really cool, that's why Vox made it an add on feature and retro fitted it.

15. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    What channel were you going in?

16. *DannyBoy*

*DannyBoy* Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    oldham, UK
    Which channel in what?

17. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Durham, NC
    Oh man, can I get my hands on that layout too?

18. printer2

May 24, 2010
    Canada
    Hey, what are you doing in my post?

That's better.

19. axehack

axehack TDPRI Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Chilliwack, BC, Canada
    EF86

20. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    Hi Jimmy! Did you mean mine? Pm me your email :). I so want another person to enjoy this amp.

21. andyfromdenver

Dec 21, 2011
    grandpa's
    And yeah axehack, that amp and your playing are great! (I think I've said before in another thread, but will happily restate). If you ever get bored and want to post a gut shot, I'd like to see it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.