Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC15 or AC30, which one would you keep

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LKNJ, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    It just depends on the type of music you play and the tone you're going for. If we were playing country or blues, I'm sure the AC15 would have enough juice to get me though. But, when you're running a distortion pedal into an already overdriven amp, it's easy to get lost in the mix. To put it more plainly: if you're playing with distortion, you need to be louder than your clean signal. It's hard to do this with the AC15 in some situations. It's a headroom issue, not a volume issue.

Spaceboy likes this.

2. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    since you mic and mention the weight, the ac15 is the easy choice. it still weighs 50lbs.

play music!

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    AC15 break up very soon in volume and band volume is extremely dependent on the style of music and the drummers kit and style. Telling everyone to turn down is not always a solution and can remove remove mojo from wat is otherwise a good thing. If he is comfortable and inspired by his musical environment, it is not our place to blindly tell him that he or his band is too loud. We can just make suggestions so he can find the right tool for this particular job.

LKNJ likes this.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    This kinda reminds me of an old, old joke.....One man in a predicament says to his companion, "It's times like this that I wish I had listened to what my Dad said...."
    "Why?...what did he say?" asked his friend.
    "I don't know....I wasn't listening." came the reply.

muscmp likes this.

5. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    So this comment made me look up the weight of an AC30.... h*** s***! 68 lbs!!! Now I know why they have three straps on top....

LKNJ likes this.

6. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    What version of each? It's an AC30C2, burn it with fire. If it's an AC30CC2 or AC30HW I'd keep it. Huge difference in build quality. No comparison considering both amps are heavy. AC30.

41144 likes this.

7. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    It's an AC30C2. But, for the record, I've owned an AC30CC2, and while I like all of the switching options it offers, maintaining that amp was a huge pain. Just getting to the tubes on that amp... I also like the sound of the AC30C2 a little better. Can't speak to the quality of the PCB, but I've never had a problem with the AC30C2. Played through a HW on a couple of occasions. Great sounding amp.

8. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    BTW, any love here for Warehouse speakers? They seem to be half the price of the others recommended here and a re very well reviewed.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’d keep the 30.
    I need the power/headroom.

10. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    La Bombonera
    I have an AC15C1BCTV with a Greenback and it took LITERALLY a year of playing to get that sucker to break in. I almost let it go more than once becaue it seemed lacking. now that the speaker has broken in, it sounds incredible and totally fine to gig with (I have a 5 piece band; keyboard player has a Hammond with a big a$$ Leslie speaker. This amp works out great with a decent amount of heeadroom; could be better though if I decide to pop in a Creamback in the future).
    I'd totally keep the AC15. I'm super glad I did!

LKNJ and hrstrat57 like this.

11. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Perhaps your CC2 was an early production model, that didn't have factory fixes yet. The chassis is admittedly tough to get to, but it's very close to a classic early 60's AC30, allows for hand wired power tube sockets, and more room for less cramped circuit boards.

I understand if you like the C2 tone better.

LKNJ likes this.

12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Sooooo true also with the Creamback playing a little Jazz Bass thru it on the back pickup only finally completed breaking it in. Man that Celestion was stiff!!

It now is glorious. Only Tweaks are preamp tubes swap out and MOD Reverb tank. It’s boutique now. Be patient with these or just put and old speaker in.

Killer amp, almost magical.

LKNJ and Maradona86 like this.

13. jorbjorb

jorbjorb Tele-Meister

Jul 18, 2012
    Winnipeg
    I think the AC30 sounds better but I traded it in for an AC15 due to weight. The AC15 still sounds good but I prefer the sound of an AC30.

LKNJ and bparnell57 like this.

14. Maradona86

Maradona86 Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2008
    La Bombonera
    I think I'd be tempted to get another AC15 and run them together for a stereo experience. Anyone done that here?

nojazzhere and hrstrat57 like this.

15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    while i love to pair up two amps at home, lugging not one but two 50lbs. amps around would be way too much. altho my doctor or chiropractor would like it.

play music!

Maradona86 likes this.

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Got a eleven HeadRush pb for Christmas

Been running a stereo AC15 / Dual Terror(on 15w setting) rig

EL84 madness!

Pair of AC15 would be just glorious

LKNJ likes this.

17. 28Gauge

28Gauge TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    Eat some more Wheaties and the extra 18 lbs will seem like nothing!!! Lol!

18. rxtech

rxtech Tele-Meister

Nov 8, 2004
    central california
    As someone who has bought and then sold some nice stuff only to end up with a Fender acoustic , let me advise that you should keep them both if at all possible. In fact, last year I got one of my guitars back.

LKNJ likes this.

19. swany

swany Tele-Meister

Sep 12, 2003
    Evergreen, Colorado
    Let me start by saying I owned an AC30 for a decade and a half and I'm very biased. If I had a choice of one of the two, it really wouldn't be a choice for me, I'd keep the Vox AC30. They are a bit heavy, and they run a little warm,( therefore go through tubes a bit faster than you might like). However, they will keep up with anything, (mine was nearly as loud as my Dual Showman), but if you turn the volume down on your guitar a little they have a sound that is unmistakable.
    I never owned or played an AC15 so I can't give any opinion on that, I respect people on this forum and their opinion, so I'm sure it's a great amp. Don't forget that with the AC30 and it's 2X12's you can run it as hard as you want and never have to worry about blowing out the speakers.

LKNJ likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.