Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC15 or AC30, which one would you keep

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LKNJ, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I'm not saying I know this would work, but what would a 2x12 cab (with efficient speakers) plugged into the AC15 get you? I had an AC4-C1BL with a 10" speaker and I now have and AC4-12 with a 12" and it's much louder.

LKNJ likes this.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Sell the 30 and use the money to upgrade the speaker to something more efficient like the traditional Celestion Blue or perhaps a Gold for more power handling, (a AC-15 run full tilt can blow a Blue no problem) there are also good UK voiced high efficiency/high power 12's from WGS, Webber and others. You should be fine in any thing shy of a big old school multi balcony movie house, which is the type of venue the AC-30 was designed to supplant the AC-15 in but at that time there was little sound reinforcement of the back line. If you really need more you might as well bust out the Fender as the subtle nuance and coloration of any combo short of a Twin is going away if you need to open it up enough to cover a big space unassisted.

LKNJ likes this.

3. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Alright, so I'm intrigued about the idea of swapping the speaker. The Red Fang is no longer stocked though, and is almost $200 to custom order. The Wizard seems to be a popular choice to replace the Greenback, as is the Governor. The Wizard, especially, seems to have a similar sensitivity rating and tone curve to the Red Fang (all this means next to noting to me, btw, as in 25 years of playing, I've replaced a speaker exactly twice: replaced a speaker in an amp I didn't like, and then put back the original because the amp still sounded like crap).

So, let's say I go with a Red Fang, Wizard or something similar in the AC15. Would this really give that amp similar headroom to the AC30? And if so, which speaker is the closest to the Greenback? I don't mean to discount the Red Fang, but my understanding is that it's closer to the Alnico Blue, and I've never player an AC30 or 15 with the Blue. It's also my understanding that while the Blue sounds great, it can be kind of prickly under heavy gain. But, again, I know next to nothing about speakers, so please let me know if I am wrong about this.

Also, thanks for all the info, this is really helpful!

4. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    Amazes me what volumes people play at.....I could play in our 4 piece rock band with my 5e3 on 4.....but I dial it back and mic it with as 609. We don't use monitors other than I have a personal monitor for vocals only.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. Mayas caster

Mayas caster Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2015
    Caraquet N.-B. Canada
    An AC15 not loud enough???

nojazzhere likes this.

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Keep the AC30 as from what you've said an AC15C2 is probably your only other option, but that won't solve your weight problem :)

LKNJ likes this.

7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Sell the AC30. As you mentioned, the AC15's lack of headroom won't be a big deal if you're miking it. I have an AC10C1 with even less headroom, but it's usually miked and it works fine.

jannodude and LKNJ like this.

8. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    Have you consider a simple furniture dolly? You can get one for 15 bucks at Lowes/Home Depot. Ya know, the simple four pieces of wood thing with casters. It could definitely help move it around with minimal lifting, assuming there's no stairs involved with the practice space. You said it yourself, the AC15 simply isn't cutting it headroom-wise, which for me would make it easy to choose the AC30 since it's the better tool for that particular application. The AC15 might be easier for gigs and such if you feel like keeping it around.

LKNJ likes this.

9. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    what speaker do you have now, is it the stock Greenbacks that come in current AC15s? I would definitely suggest going Alnico! It's brings a whole new life to AC amps. I suggest a Celestion Gold. It's a little smoother than a Blue and isn't going to get blown by a 15w amp like a Blue potentially could. I think I'd hang onto the AC30 until you know for sure if a speaker swap does the trick. But Greenbacks are relatively quiet speakers. a seemingly small difference on paper of 3 decibels in a speakers rating is a lot volume in the room.

10. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Thought they had 100W amps built for them for Shea (vis the Ron Howard Movie)

11. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    New York
    Yes, they did...but they still did use an AC30 for their keyboard.

12. Darrell D

Darrell D TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Canton, GA
    I use an AC15 with the blue speakers. My God that thing is loud... I had to build an isolation cabinet. Then again, I play in a mid size church. I can't imagine a 15 not being loud enough for practice. Just my 2 cents.

nojazzhere likes this.

13. Slim

Slim Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2003
    Fayetteville, AR
    The AC30 would allow you to be heard at practice, which I think would be crucial. Plus, you'd be more covered at a place that either did have or did not have an adequate P.A.

The downside is the weight. But an AC15 is also a bit of a chore to lug around.

LKNJ and 41144 like this.

14. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Unless you're a young whippersnapper with a strong back and don't care about lugging a heavy amp around, keep the AC15.

LKNJ likes this.

15. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

If you decide AC15, work on amp placement at rehearsals. Find a way to get it positioned up higher, near ear level. Also place your amp away from you, pointed at you.

16. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    This is a good poin. I have a Little amp stand that tilts back when I use 1x12s. Between this and a more efficient speaker you might be able to make the AC15 work.

17. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Yup, I have a greenback in mine. From listening to YouTube demos, the Alnico Blue definitely sounds better than the Greenback, though they aren't playing under heavy gain, which I have to do sometimes. The demos of the Red Fang don't sound good at all, though the stock speaker sounds pretty bad in those demos also, so it's probably just a matter of who is doing the demo. That's why I'm reluctant to rely on them at all. Haven't watched any Celestion Gold demos yet, will do tonight.

Maybe that's what I'll do: settle on a speaker to use in the AC15, try it at rehearsal; if it works, then great problem solved and I'll sell the AC30. If not, take it from there.

So, that takes me to the next question. Which speaker?
    So far suggestions are:
    1. Red Fang
    2. Wizard
    3. Celestion Gold

18. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    Yep, I've tried it in the past. Helps in some respects, hurts in others. Great suggestion though. Thanks!

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    with much overdrive the blues can be a little harsh unless they are old and broken in. there’s some gold vs blue videos out there. golds are smoother but still have that AlNiCo chime. in demos the Blue always sounds better but in a room it’s a different story. they have the same efficiency rating I believe. I’ve never liked any eminence speakers I owned. They seem to sizzle more while Celestion Crunch if that makes sense, but I’ve never tried their AlNiCos. I think you’ve got a good plan just settle on a new high decibel speaker and rock on!

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    If the AC15 doesn't have enough clean headroom in rehearsal, maybe your BANDMATES need to turn down. When you get into a "battle of volume" with everyone else, you all lose. (especially your permanent hearing) While I personally don't like mic-ing everything on stage, (including bass and drums) sometimes it's necessary to maintain a sensible stage level. Speaking as an old-timer with about 35%-40% hearing loss, once your hearing is gone....it's gone.

Thin69 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.