Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC15 or AC30, which one would you keep

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LKNJ, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I happen to have both of these amps (got the 15 in a trade recently). Love the sound of both. The AC30 is plenty loud, but heavy as all hell. The AC15 doesn't have the headroom to keep up with the rest of the band in rehearsal, but most venues we play mic you up, anyway. I need to sell one. Which one should go?

2. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    You can mic up the 15 and/or get a more efficient speaker to keep up better. The trend I’m seeing is that big kahuna amps are becoming less and less desirable.

davidchagrin and LKNJ like this.

3. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I would keep the AC15 unless you really need the volume. I found it fairly loud for 15 watts. If you decide to keep the AC30 buy some casters.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    You say "MOST" venues you play mic you up? What would you do if you sell the AC30 and then play some place that DOESN'T mic? Will the AC15 cut it? (Personally, I don't play anywhere anymore that an AC15 wouldn't work)

Alexpapasitoguapo likes this.

5. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    It sounds as if the 15 will be fine for most gigs if you are mic'd.

But what about the rehearsals and any gigs where you are not mic'd?

Probably best to keep the 30.

41144 likes this.

6. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    I should have mentioned I have a Fender Blues Deluxe also. So, as much as I prefer the AC's tone, I can always use the FBD in a pinch.

7. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    New York
    Are you playing Shea Stadium any time in the future?

If, no, keep the smaller VOX.

(And, yes, The Beatles did use a VOX AC30 at Shea. The VOX Continental keyboard was hooked up to an AC30. That beast is loud.)

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I just reread your post....an AC15 isn't loud enough for rehearsals???? Dude...y'all practice TOO LOUD!!!!!!

9. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

And for good reason. I would definitely keep the 15 over the 30.

A VOX AC15 and an e906 are much easier to deal with, and a lot easier on the back.

ce24 and LKNJ like this.

10. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    It's a headroom thing. Sometimes, I need a more or less clean sound and the headroom on the AC15 just isn't there. Other times I need some pretty heavy distortion, and a gain pedal into an already overdriven AC15 doesn't exactly make you louder. If anything, makes it easier to be lost in the mix.

41144 and Norris Vulcan like this.

11. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

Jan 24, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    I would keep the AC30 in the rehearsal room, and keep the AC15 around for gigs, because AC15s only fetch 300-350 bucks and that's hardly worth even selling. I've owned both too, and honestly prefer the AC15 in situations where it's miked, BUT, it doesn't hang with a band the way I need. I care as much about enjoying rehearsal and getting sounds that inspire me to play and create, that I do in a gig or recording situation.

LKNJ likes this.

12. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ

As someone who grew up blocks from Shea Stadium, I can tell you that it's a travesty that it's no longer around, but importantly that even an AC30 wouldn't be loud enough to play there without some help from a PA.

13. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    That's exactly how I feel. Just can't keep anything in the rehearsal space (we use an hourly studio). So, have to carry it back and forth.

14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Sounds like the AC30 serves your needs more. You could probably get enough from selling the AC15 to buy a really nice handcart for the AC30.

nojazzhere and LKNJ like this.

15. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This. Having had both, I stuck with an AC30. Because while AC15's are plenty loud (according to That Pedal Show, there's only about 3dB difference between and AC15 and and AC30), loud AND clean isn't always an option. I found the same issue with getting lost in the mix with the 15 as well. If you have a master volume AC30 or AC15, you can get dirty at a lower volume. You can't get a squeaky clean sound at high volume out of the AC15. The AC30 is more versatile sonically (and I think its clean is more robust). If you want headroom at full band volume, the AC30 is the way to go.

Personally, I got rid of both combos and got an AC30 head and cab. Splitting the weight into two trips has made all the difference to me.

16. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    My experience is when an amp that seems to be at a decent volume gets lost in the mix, it's an EQ issue. Dial in some more upper mids to try to find an unoccupied place in the mix. I may be wrong, but that's been my experience. That said, an AC15 with an efficient speaker - I have a Red Fang in mine - should be loud enough to get the job done.

davidchagrin, nojazzhere and LKNJ like this.

17. LKNJ

LKNJ Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2016
    NJ
    That's a really good suggestion! I'll have to check out what the used market is like on the head/cab.

6BQ5 likes this.

18. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    the other thing you could try is swapping out the stock greenback for a more efficient speaker. The G12m in the AC15c1 has a nominal efficient of 98 dB. The Red Fang is rated at 102.5. This 4.5 dB will make a big difference in how loud the amp is.

davidchagrin and LKNJ like this.

19. Clash Telecaster

Clash Telecaster Tele-Meister

Nov 30, 2017
    New York
    1. Hey, I have relatives living a few blocks from Shea Stadium. Maybe they live on the same block as you. If you get rid of the AC30, you won't have to break your back carrying it too far -- just drop it off at their house.

2. This is open to debate, but I do believe that the keys at Shea Stadium were not miked up to the PA. It was only used for the one song and it was played through the AC30. No way were the boys going to construct another Super Beatle amp for just one song, and I don't believe they miked it up to the PA (once again, just for one song).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

nojazzhere, 41144 and LKNJ like this.

20. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Have the special edition white AC15C1 with Creamback. Super loud!

OP is spot on tho very low clean headroom. Not what it does. The FBD should cover those no?

I can’t even imagine luggin around the AC30

I get my 30w fix from a Dual Terror!!

LKNJ likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.