Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Okay first impressions. Box was kinda beat up, but the amp was packed excellent, no issues there, it's all good.

Plugging straight in, it's plenty loud on both channels. It's not possible for me to plug straight in and get a satisfactory crunch tone on the dirty channel at the kind of low volume I'm looking for, i.e. Baby sleeping in the next room. It is okay for getting a nice bluesy tone at that kind of volume.

The clean channel, I do not like it at low volume. If you crank it up it gets some character, but at very low volume it sounds very sterile plugged straight in.

Now the good stuff. I have a Vox Stomplab modeling pedal with some very nice custom edits that I put together. Played through the clean channel these sound great at low volume, and that's what I was hoping for. I haven't even tried running the Stomplab through the effects loop yet, I just put it out front.

Thats about all the free time I've got today. I'll post some more observations when I get more time.

Oh yeah, it looks super cool too!

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

3. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I dunno 200 bucks is a lot if all you use this amp for is the SS clean and your Stomplab. All the other amps mentioned or in the Title.thread could easily accept the Vox pedal and do the same thing plus sound great for when Dad wants to bring the hammer down. I personally have used pedals with the AC10 for volumes you require same goes for the VHT, plus that one has power scaling. Just saying

mnutz likes this.

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Yep I realize that. I've only played around with it for about a half hour so I'm gonna give it some time before I decide to keep it or not.

I do like both channels turned up, just not at low volume. Well actually the dirty channel is okay low on its own. So that's the thing, I'm not sure any of those other amps like the AC10 would be any different. I don't think any of them are gonna make me happy at low volume plugged straight in. Not the kind of low volume I need now anyway.

One other thing I hadn't mentioned earlier. I've also got a 7 year old who is playing acoustic on a half size guitar now. He hasn't asked for an electric yet. I figure this Orange will be a good first amp for him when the time comes. By then the baby will be older and I can probably up the volume some again.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

5. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I know doing this stuff, Internet opinions and videos when there is no local shop can be daunting. I can only speak from my own personal experience.
    Before I bought my DSL40c and Ac10c I used my VHT Special 6 Ultra head with pedals or the Orange Dark Terror as the Jet City Jca20h would only sound good cranked so I ended up trading that one off. The Orange can do Gain at lower volumes a bit better that the DSL as it is more fuzzy than fizzy and with a eq in the loop tailor it a bit more. Some may differ with what I say next but its hard to make the AC10 sound bad with most of my axes which vary from LP, Strat, Tele, Gretsch and P90 equipped guitars. The volume and Gain knobs are touchy when dialed low but I have used a Dano TOD v1 and Bogner Blue and La Grange to get low volume gained up tones. Way back I had a Blackstar HT5 head, first version that would do the trick at low volumes but it was when it was cranked I felt something missing so moved on. I do like the Orange tones, offers a nice compliment to what else I have and thought perhaps they could pull off a good SS version of it at lower volumes. So maybe over a couple days time you can sort all this out. Good luck

mnutz likes this.

6. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Do you have an external cab or just looking at Combos?

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Just combos.

8. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I got to thinking about my VHT again as I forgot I still have some videos up on YT. Before a tube swap and before I upgraded my Epi 1x12 first with a Eminence "Private Jack" then settled on what I have now which is a WGS "Retro 30". These vids are mostly the Bugera 4x12 and if so those speakers are crap and for now it's a 2x12 with a Celestion and that Private jack, kinda moot as I just use the 1x12 and the Bugera is put away.
    So these are before I had any of the Dirt pedals I own now and using this amp for 6 years plus do things a bit different. Back then real paranoid about volume so the first video and it's intro I used an iso-box after that relied on the variable watts control knob and sometimes in half power so yeah the db's down quite a bit. Now with the pedals I have even more doable.in that regard first video take note around 1:07 where the iso-box is removed and using power scaling(Ultra input)

this one clean and crunch, not real happy with my playing but does show the clean input and again power scaling vs that of the Ultra side

I see the combo version is around 400 bucks.
    I do hope your Orange works out, if not I think the VHT is great with and without pedals, just not
    British like my Marshall and Vox

mnutz likes this.

9. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    After sorting through more VHT vids @YT this guy really shows how the tubes get cooking while dialing down the volume/db's with the variable watts selector around the 3:15 mark. Back when I did mine I was coming out of my "synth phase" and for the past couple years really haven't touched them much so my guitar playing improves but my wallet suffers I've have quite a collection now, amps too

mnutz likes this.

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I sent the Orange back and bought a Vox AC4c1-12. The amp sounds great, and the volume knob is useable all the way down. It goes from silent gradually up to conversation level and everything in between. I have not found that to be the case with a lot of amps, including my Class 5.

A lot of amps seem to have a bit of dead space between all the way down and when you first start to hear anything.

The AC4 gets great low volume Vox tones both clean and dirty. If I crank the master and lower the gain, then crank the gain and lower the level on my BBE 427, I get great Marshall crunch.

And that is what started this whole search. So I found the right amp for me, for now anyway.

Richie-string likes this.

11. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Congratulations on the new amplifier. I have a Vox AC4c1 as well and i think it's an awesome little amp. I have the 10" speaker version but i think all the Vox AC4 range no matter which one you get is a terrific range of small amplifiers, right from the AC4tv to the AC4c1 and HW models, there isn't any of them that i wouldn't happily own. A great range of amplifiers.

mnutz likes this.

12. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Wow that's surprising, perhaps the right guitar and pedal combination. I had the AC4tv head when they first came out. Mated it with a 1x12 cab and Eminence Private Jack Speaker. Seemed to like Single coils better and pretty ratty sounding with humbuckers. I imagine the combo you bought has the built in attenuator and that feature works in some cases depending on the tones your after. After a year or so just couldn't bond enough with it to warrant keeping it. The AC10 another story, will never sell this amp. I didn't have a decent Tele at the time, Strat, Gretsch and several LP's sounds like the AC4 works great for you and you have the right guitar to plug into it. Concrats

Richie-string and mnutz like this.

13. mbell75

mbell75 Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2014
    california
    Did you not get the Bassbreaker? Blows away the other amps you have and the one you currently have IMO.

InkStained and wblynch like this.

14. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I played through the Bassbreaker at the store, but never took one home with me.

It sounded good, but the AC4 was the amp with the most useable volume knob. I wanted something that could get really quiet. This one can, like baby sleeping in the same room quiet. It ticked lots of other boxes for me too. So I'm happy, for now anyway.

Richie-string and whitecloud like this.

15. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Sorry. I don't get all the rhetoric going on here. My AC10 sounds good at all volume levels. Have played successfully outdoors with it milked, and got good results indoors with no miked. What's the beef in laymans terms??? Cool little amp....don't like the bass man...needs to be cranked to get the goods....

16. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Might add I've been having great results with the Katana 100 at gigs and at home. I are cornfused.....

17. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I think we all can just chalk it up to the realization that everyone's needs and what seems most useful differs from neither narrow or wide margin. As far as threads I am sure this one will at some time get bumped and brought back to life long after the OP have made His decision. I am happy with what amps I own and as a result of my participation here think I'll buy that Katana Mini and sit it on a table next to the end of the couch for times I hit the TV remote and decide playing sounds better that watching the tube ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.