Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm thinking about going a whole different direction now with my bedroom amp quest.

I think I might get an Orange Crush 35rt. Seems like it would suit my current needs pretty good.

2. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    It's a pretty good choice. It's packed with features and sounds quite good. I use mainly the clean channel and hit it with pedals. The drive channel has great crunch and beyond. The edge of break-up tones on the drive channel are awful though (crackly, raspy). But that's not uncommon for an SS amp.

It's pretty loud. I play it at home and at jams. It easily hangs at the jams. Easily. At home, to my ear, it's rather thin with the volume below 8 o'clock, then it fills out and sounds nice. At that level it's a bedroom volume but a maybe a touch loud.

If you're considering SS, look at the Roland Blues Cube Hot. I had one and loved it and now I have the Artist version. With the power scaling, you can get really nice tones as whisper volume. And now they have one that is el84 flavored.

Richie-string and mnutz like this.

3. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I played that one @ the local shop when I was checking out a G&L and Yamaha Revstar, it was OK but didn't give it a fair shot. Previously the Boss Katana 50 and I seemed to favor it over the Blues cube. That said neither would replace any of my tube amps but got to say the Katana was great at low volumes and I see there is an upgrade and subsequent slight price increase
    https://www.boss.info/us/products/katana-50/
    Wait a minute I just Googled the el84 version of the BC you are talking about, now that might be something to ponder

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I guess I didn't look very close, so no el84, no fx loop and $499.99. One thing I do know is one can have fun at low volumes the OP is going for with the Katana 50 and might work better than the Orange in that category

mnutz likes this.

5. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent

6. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Yeah, I know about the Katanas. I played one briefly and liked the basic clean tone but I didn't give it much of a chance. I'm not crazy about digital modelers because I don't want to fiddle with settings on my computer. I realize I could find a good setting or two and stick with them, but for some reason it's a turnoff. To each his own.

The Blues Cubes have a fantastic tone. As one person said in the current thread about them, the biggest downside is that they ain't cheap.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I want to stay under that $500 price point for sure. I need a small footprint amp that either sounds good and crunchy at low volume by itself, or works as a great clean platform for a modeling pedal. Not interested in another modeling amp.

I'm open to other options, so post 'em up if you think of anymore. Also I do need stick with something new.

Thanks!

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I guess if I'm going down this road I better consider the Katana 50 also.

9. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Only $200 and you can always return it if you don't like it.

mnutz likes this.

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm gonna take the Katana off my list. Too fiddley and too much like the other modeling amps. I'm really looking for something simple.

Richie-string likes this.

11. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Want simple and cheap, now I haven't personally played these but have heard decent vids and comments. FX loop adapts to any cab you plug into.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PurpleWind
    YT really shows how the controls works

Vox version
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BritishInvasion?product_id=BritishInvasion&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core&adgroup=Guitars%20-%20Amps%20-%20Other&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=55281441601&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBbaAFNEFihEpiUrjJlKb650sESLhGjth0jPPeXJYz_t5O8SkKobK3hoCFKgQAvD_BwE

And I don't work for Sweetwater or affiliated just buy gear from them once in awhile

mnutz likes this.

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. I have considered those, I guess they're on my short list.

13. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    You know there is another approach I am a bit Hesitant to suggest, not because it doesn't work for me or my Pal that has a Class 5 it's just some just don't believe in pedals or MIAB. That said I have a Bogner La Grange pedal I use in several applications. 1.Low volume gain with either my DSL40c(when I prefer it's gain over the DSL's) or the AC10 same deal. 2.As just a boost( not so much for your needs). So yeah I can play quietly if needed and still get some cool stuff going. Now my friend with the Class 5, it adds so much more tonal variety and he doesn't have to turn the C5 up as usual. Now he is in another state but we correspond very frequently and share videos. It costs as much as some of these amps but both my Pal and I got B stocks with full warranties which brought the price closer to 2 bills. So this may not be what you would want but feel compelled to share as It does work for me in a similar environment

mnutz likes this.

14. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I ordered the Orange 35rt!
    Thanks!

15. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Do let us know how that works out for you.

16. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Will do. Fed Ex says it's just a few hours away!

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

18. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Hope it ain't "Crushed" ;)

mnutz likes this.

19. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    tell us how you like it. Coming from a similar angle and been eyeing the same amps as you and the Orange keeps popping up with rarely a bad review

mnutz likes this.

20. cyberglad

cyberglad TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Oct 14, 2016
    Morges, Switzerland
    Yep, dsl should be fine for you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.