Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario

mnutz likes this.

2. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Which makes not a bad amp, but a bad practice amp.

mnutz likes this.

3. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

I have had a jcm800 to play through (unreal), and many others. Currently gig an ac30, vintage club 50 and at home have a Marshall Class 5, DSL5, AC4c12 and Fender Pro Junior.

Demo'd a ac10 but found it very loud. Will have to try again with low volume...

However, i believe a DSL5 would be ideal for you. yes they do have lots of gain (too much in my mind) and yes the eq section has a wide range so can sound bright but conversely the EQ section DOES work so easy to not sound bright and also easy to dial back the gain to JCM 800 or less.

More importantly it has a 1 (?) watt mode that retains most of the character and is very quiet. I bought one because it was going cheap used, as a comparison to the Class 5 which I love for early 70's (Zep etc.) rock tones and a good, though not Fender or Vox, clean.

I have to say that the DSL5 with controls set sensibly sounds really, really good. I am impressed and have hardly used the others since I got it. Being on a bit of The Living End guitar kick hasn't helped but the jcm 800 tone IS right there. You Tube is not a good reference.

I love each of the amps I have and realistically they do tend to be good at mostly one sound....though each can overlap the other to some degree.

Good luck.

Richie-string and mnutz like this.

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I am going with the notion that Marshall is in fact revamping the DSL line. The 5 is supposed to have both gain and volume knobs, kinda hazy on the 1 watt as I see pics with no gain on the clean but descriptions say it does so perhaps shared with the Ultra Gain side dunno. Supposed to be revealed and or shipped October 6th

mnutz likes this.

5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I think I'll wait until the revamped DSL series comes out to make a decision. Then I'll try to get somewhere to test a DSL1. That 0.1 watt mode really intrigues me.

Lostinsound likes this.

6. drew1d

drew1d TDPRI Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Westchester NY
    Non-Scientific thumbs up for BassBreaker 007.

I've had mine for about 7 months now. Tried it in the store at a "reasonable" volume and liked it. Played with the store with a coil split les paul. It was a small store and not many options. When I got it home it sounded alright on my MIM 2012 Guitar Center FSR telecaster. On my MIM 2003 second hand FSR strat it sounded great.

I played with the knobs, I tried my soul food pedal but never got it to sound how I like at a reasonable volume. I've got a little baby at home. I don't play with a lot of distortion, but like breakup when I pinch the pick or play hard on the bridge pickup.

What works for me, all the eq knobs at 12 noon. I would have been fine if the amp didn't have them. Gain about 10 o'clock. I backed my pickups off the guitar as far as they go. When I turned the volume up between 11 or 3 , all the bass came in and the treble was smooth. It sounded so big. I now use the soul food jhs pedal as a boost when I lead ect... I think it's fine, my wife still complains about the volume. :(

Like most tube amps, it's about finding settings you like, to get it to play, at the volume you want.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I emailed Marshall about the revamped DSL lineup and got a quick reply. They said "We have no information about that..." They told me to look for a used Anniversary DSL1.

8. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I don't see why they would give you the "Big Reveal" while Retailers are still mum about this. That said could be a big hoax but why a large Retailer outlet like Thomann getting this thing started doesn't make sense if it was BS. I'd give it another week or two, meanwhile I'll ask around. You know I never tried using a Dirt pedal into the AC10c for the Decibel checks. I will say I have been using several for times I want lower volumes or certain delay pedal settings. Example if I am going for some saturated gained up tones and want delay as well, then place the OD before the delay.Pedals used are Dano TOD v1 and Bogner Blue and La Grange. BTW I recommended the La Grange to a Buddy of mine that has a Class 5 and he really loves it. I am just throwing stuff out there.

Tootle and mnutz like this.

9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried a modeler with it? Since it has no FX loop I wonder if I could get decent low volume Marshall, and Vox, tones out of the AC10 by sticking my Stomplab in front of it?

10. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I don't own a Hardware Modeler box, bought a Amp sim plugin over last years Holidays. There are times late night when I can't get away with volumes I desire and that's where the pedals come in to the equation. I would think your Stomplab would work especially if you can turn off amp sims. I remember using a POD into a nice tube amp back in the 90's and that worked for what it was. The Vox having a Master volume does edge out the Class 5 when it comes to lower volumes and I know my Buddy that has the C5 has had problems with pedals until he bought the Bogner La Grange From all the clips I've heard of the Class 5, I'd rather have my Vox AC10, I mean the Marshall can sound cool and all but really limited so you gotta love that one Pony.

mnutz likes this.

11. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    +1. I have the older Television style version of it and can't complain at all. It's amazing, not just amazing for the price. Monoprice has 20% off and/or free shipping deals all the time too.

mnutz likes this.

12. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Yeah, I missed my Laney VC15, so I thought I'd try this one and love it so far.

13. pkyink

pkyink TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Paris, Kentucky
    I know you said your not looking for anything used but dude there is a DSL1 Anniv model on Reverb as we speak for $525. I'm sure it would end up being higher quality than the new one and its a collectable. Plus God only knows how long you'll be playing the waiting game for the new one to be released. I'll be truly surprised if it releases in October. I remember how many months I sat waiting for the Marshall Code series to launch.

mnutz likes this.

14. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Were there all those "rumors" about the Code amps before Marshall finally acknowledged they were going to release them? I'm trying to get a perspective on how Their Marketing MO works

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

15. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Yeah if you want big tone at breakup with still some sparkly harmonics at quieter bedroom volumes with the AC10c1, put a cleanish boost or drive pedal in front. I currently use a Bearfoot Emerald Green, which is a vox-in-a-box pedal, the lower-gain version at moderate gain setting. Others on the AC10 thread really like a Timmy or something similar to push the front end. (Tube screamers & their ilk reportedly don't get along w ACs very well though.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
    mnutz likes this.

16. pkyink

pkyink TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Paris, Kentucky
    I don't remember "rumors" per se but I remember the Namm demos. Which makes me suspicious of an October release b/c I just don't see them doing it out of nowhere, this close to the end of the year. Now if it had already been announced last year at one of the Namm's then yeah the timing would be about right.

But I am no expert and the guitar/music industry seems to be really weird when it comes to releases. If it exists my guess would be they will officially announce at Winter Namm and then you'll be looking at a scheduled release of March or May then probably pushed back to July or even October 2018. I could be wrong though.

mnutz likes this.

17. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    I'm not sure if they are redundant. Just felt (at the time) that I could get close to the AC10 if I really tweaked it. In retrospect, though, they really are different and might just pick one up again if I get can find one at $300. Is there a version with a 12" speaker?

18. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    If you are asking about the Vox AC10, then no in fact there is limited space in this combo for some 10", there is a thread here going over the dimensions. So do you have the 007 combo or head? Any hum issues or other things to note?

audiopablo likes this.

19. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    I have the combo. Not too noisy, but I had to change tubes once when I got this crazy, horrible noise.

20. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2013
    Ohio
    This is the first complaint about the Class 5.

The second complaint is that they're not loud enough.

I'm never getting rid of mine.

MilwMark and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.