Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Brisbane
    I've got the Vox AC10C1. Great amp, can be quiet with lots of overdrive, just crank the master and lower the volume. I am wanting to add a Marshall soon though too! But will keep the Vox.

mnutz likes this.

2. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Indeed it does, to my ears.

mnutz likes this.

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

You guys are killing me with the AC10 stuff. I really don't need both amps right now, but everyone is always hyping up the AC10!

It's the only amp that pretty much every demo sounds great, and a fair share of those are on teles!

My Stomplab does the Marshall thing fine, and I can certainly use it for low volume. Maybe I will just get an AC10 and use it with the Stomplab. Dang gas!

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    You know everyone's bedroom/apartment levels may vary. So I got curious to see if there was an App for my phone, there is and it's on there now. I might find sometime tomorrow to test it with the AC10 and probably have it a several different distances and jot that down. This assuming the damn thing is somewhat accurate ;) So let me ask and answer if you can. How many DB's can you get away with?

mnutz likes this.

5. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    I've got the 007, too. I'll second that you can play it quietly and still have some options because of the gain vs. volume. Also the treble circuit helps get a different shade. But it's its own thing. I find that any guitar that I'd love clean on my 65 DRRI doesn't thrill me on the 007. The list of NOGOs for me are an MIA tele (with broadcaster/twisted tele)

But what does sound good? So far for me: a deluxe telecaster with N3s (my favorite on the 007), a Jazzmaster (with the 65 pickups) and the HH classic player jag. Oh, and an LP (studio, if that matters) with the 490/498 pickups. I think the theme is this amp is built for beef (or high output from your guitar), so don't send in your trebly single coiled guitars for joy. But maybe it's me. I'd appreciate any advice on how to dial a good sound with some of those, as they are some of my favorites.

I did have an AC10 for a few weeks. I played it side by side with the 007 and found the 007 had a richness the AC10 did not have at the low volumes I intended to play in the house with. Cranked would be a different story. That AC10 and a MIM tele with its stock pickups was one of the best sounds I've ever heard.

mnutz and Southpaw Tele like this.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Thanks that great! I'll download it too and see what I come up with.

7. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Meister

May 14, 2011
    South Louisiana
    I have owned VHT ultra 6, Blackstar HT5, Bugera.V5, and a Yamaha THR30. I now own the Peavey Valveking II Micro head. I like yourself was looking for something that sounded great at lower volumes. The headphone out is the best I have used out of a tube amp, but is still lacking a little.

It takes pedals very well and I would describe the sound as between Vox and Marshall. The sound does not waver as you use attenuation either. Never tried the DSL amps. Just more food for thought.

mnutz likes this.

8. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Ok, I used a free decibel meter app called Decibel 10 and took some readings.

I set my iPhone about 2 feet directly in front of my amp. I was getting ambient sound level readings of about 40 while just sitting in the quiet room doing nothing. I'd like to be able get good sounding crunch guitar at about 65. Google tells me that is about average conversation level.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

9. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Well since I am curious my plan is to use my tc delay looper feature so I'll start measuring in front of the amp 2 feet or so as you mentioned then
    keep going back further taking readings from other rooms and just outside the window. I just downloaded the "Sound Meter" Android app when I came up with the idea so haven't used it yet. So when I do this test I'll report back with my findings. I'll use my G&L ASAT Classic Tribute

mnutz likes this.

10. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    So do you think the 007 and AC10c too similar? I have the Vox and am considering the 007 if the latter really shines with humbuckers that would tilt me in that direction. I get the AC10 working better with Hums when i plug in a 1x12 cab. I would plan on keeping both but don't want redundancy

11. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Sorry that's not gonna happen. I tried two Android apps used my phone then my Tablet and I was getting these results room without amp going was around 45 db's then got the loop going and for good tone topping out in the low 90's average mid 80's. Then I lowered the volume to conversation level and peaked in the low 80's averaging in the mid 70's. So I would say that the higher levels you would have to speak very loudly if in the room close to the amp. Good news is outside readings in the 60's-70's and that room's window is close to the amp so ain't gonna bother neighbors. Going into other rooms sound dissipates and may wake a a baby but if an adult was say watching tv not too much an issue. Thing is regardless of wattage the amp's speaker has to push at least a bit of air to sound good, unless modeler going into full range speakers. So I wonder if the 1 watt Marshall would still be somewhat an issue, don't know but the Vox has to have some volume that may be still too loud. If you want it at a level just below conversation that's asking a lot. Hope this helps feel free to ask any more questions

mnutz likes this.

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Okay so you were using your looper through your AC10 and getting good crunch tone at about 85?

That's not much different than my current situation with a modeler. If I run it through my studio monitors I need to be at 80 or above to have a decent tone. Below that the bottom drops out and everything gets really thin.

So maybe it's just not possible any way at that volume level.

13. I had an AC4TVH and hated it... bright, bright, bright with not much of anything else. I also had an AC10C1, that one I loved! Only sold it because I ran into a AC15HW1X.

mnutz likes this.

14. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Yeah the looper recorded the unadulterated guitar signal and gave me hands free operation to 1.Change volume of amp 2. Move freely about 3.Take a "snapshot" of the settings of the DB app and I tried to keep the riffs at a consistent playing style. I wouldn't rule the Marshall 1 watter out just yet. Now my Orange Dark Terror I can actually get low volumes more along the lines you are seeking, just a different flavor more fuzzy. Some say Orange can sound better at low volumes vs Marshall but Marshall shine more in a band setting/mix of course all subjective

asnarski likes this.

15. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    Thought I ask this question as It might just be what you need and keep the C5 as well. So the question would shaving off 20 db's be enough to work in your home environment? If so the new Two Notes Captor box. It serves up several duties. 1. A Reactive load box that can be fed into a DAW with a IR Loader or it's own analog speaker sim. 2. 20 db fixed attenuator. It was released and started shipping last week so the videos are just coming out.
    In French so go to just past the 1:30 mark to hear the Amp with out the attenuation and then engaged

I'll share this one albeit kinda long and some parts could of been edited out but at least this guy shows the Attenuator in action longer and more concise

So this may or may not be of interest to you. $250.00 for the Captor and besides the Attenuator and if not wanting to use computer software there are several IR Loading pedal/boxes going for around 2 bills

16. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

You just hit on something here that has been driving me a bit nuts lately.

I've been trying to replicate this sound that I have in my head. Trying to replicate it at ridiculous low volume. It's the sound of my JCM800 2204 through a 2x12 with Vintage 30s, in a band context, playing a Les Paul with JB.

So here I am trying to do this at low volume with a tele. Not very smart am I?

I keep listening to hundreds of clips of people playing JCM style amps solo, and I'm not liking any of them. They've got the crunch, but lack the bottom and top that I've gotten used to hearing playing Fender style amps by myself at low volume.

When I hear clips of the AC10, I hear crunch, plus good top and bottom. I also hear what I like in clips of cranked tweeds etc.

17. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

1. It's just not possible to replicate that tone at very low volume.

2. It's just not possible to replicate that tone with completely different equipment.

3. I just don't really like that tone anymore.

4. I just never really liked that tone, it just sounded good filled out in a full band context.

18. There's something to be said for all 4 of your statements/comments above... can't disagree with any of them.

mnutz likes this.

19. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

It does seem the AC10c1 is one of the best bets for low volume and tone. It's the one that seems to keep getting the most thumbs ups from a lot of different players. It's always worth pointing out that just because people on forums recommend a piece of equipment it doesn't necessarily make it ideal for you, but when something keeps getting recommended by numerous different people then maybe it's worth a shot.

asnarski and mnutz like this.

20. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    No doubt it's worth considering as I really dig the amp and no Kids in the house and my Birds and Dogs don't mind ;) . Here is another thing to take note of, the Gain and volume pots are real touchy real easy to get too low a volume or high as well. Just move them in the tiniest of travel. Find the right pedal and that can factor in. I've had good success with the Dano TOD v1, Bogner Blue and La Grange the latter two takes more adjusting

mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.