Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    Looks like a Class 5 that you'd like to replace. Just throwing another option out there, I just picked one of those up locally that a previous owner had a master volume installed on in the back panel. Kind of a one trick pony but I just put everything on 10 and adjust the master to taste. Nice creamy classic rock crunch from that amp, probably wouldn't be my only amp I guess though. Thing sure gets LOUD without that master volume.

mnutz likes this.

2. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

I've watched dozens of vids of that DSL5C. It ticks all the boxes for me except the most important one, it sounds like crap! Every video it sounds thin and overly bright and fizzy, and that's with humbuckers. I can only imagine what a tele would sound like through it.

I really hope the new DSL1cr sounds better.

3. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I have the head version along with a Marshall DSL40c Vox AC10c and Orange Dark Terror. Prior to the DSL and Vox it was Bogner Blue and La Grange
    into the VHT and a few other Dirt pedals. Did sound pretty good but this pales in comparison of just using the Marshall or Vox amps. Does the Fender tones well and dig all the goodies like the variable attenuator(better than half power) fx loop a bit hot and you'll either love or hate the Ultra side. I'll never sell the Special 6 ultra as it does shine in some areas, just not British tones until you buy expensive MIAB pedals so factor that in.BTW head goes into 1x12 cab with WGS Retro 30

mnutz likes this.

4. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    That combo has an 8" speaker I believe so if you are cool with that. If you have a spare cab and assuming 16 ohms consider the head version or even the 20 watt. There are opportunities I can get away with higher db's than others and I let it rip with the DSL40c. that said still can get good tones at Apartment levels and sometimes just a hint of dirt or boost helps out and that's all on the green channel/crunch side. Have the Vox AC10 and feel I can cop nice OD tones at manageable volumes and here again sometimes a boost or light OD works great so disagree with some on that. However when I plug in my external 1x12 all bets are off as it gets considerable louder unless hitting it with dirt.

mnutz likes this.

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Some good suggestions. Though i'm surprised no one has mentioned the Vox AC4 - it's ideal for home use and small jam sessions. I've got the AC4c1 which is basically a AC4 Top Boost, like the handwired version i suppose but without the hot/cold switch. There's a lot of nice textures to be had with it from crystal clean to lot's of subtle variation of light to medium overdrive. I love it, i thinks it's definitely the nicest of all the small 5 watt amps regardless of price, i think it really punches above it's weight in respect to its performance for a relatively modest price, i think it sounds a way more expensive amp than it is. Sometimes, the Celestion VX10 speaker get's a bad rep but i'd persevere with it because i think it breaks in nicely.

I've also get the Bassbreaker 007 1x10" combo and that's nice as well but in direct contrast to the AC4. The AC4 is all bright sparkly cleans into what's still a quite bright drive sound into a much darker sound with the Fender. It's a more aggressive more overdriven and ultimately much darker sound. To be honest i could have imagined Jimmy Page doing Led Zep One with it if they had been about then. I think it's an ideal sound if you want to play some type of classic rock sound or heavier blues/rock. I think the cloth finish is novel, i've never had one before and always wanted one.

It has to be said that although i love both the above amps, it's worth pointing out that they are both pretty much one-trick ponies, but hey that's small valve/tube amps for you. People don't pay $1750 or whatever they cost for a handwired Fender Deluxe because they're expecting it to be 6 different amps in one. Certain amps you buy because they perform that one function perfectly and as such they are worth the investment. As someone pointed out above the Blackstar HT5R is probably the best compromise in terms of features and sound quality. the HT5 is a high quality sound with a lot of versatility so definitely worth an audition.

Ultimately there's a lot of good options to choose from. You won't have a problem getting a quality amp for home use.

mnutz likes this.

6. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Yeah I'm not really looking for versatility with this amp. I've got modelers that can cover that.

I suspect the 007 is probably too loud for me too. I probably need to be looking at 1 watt combos. I see that DSL1 is switchable down to 1/10 of a watt.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    wblynch likes this.

7. markal

markal Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2016
    Colorado
    Orange Rocker 15 has switching down to 1 watt and 0.5 watt. I like what I hear in the demos of this amp but I haven't tried one yet. It's more expensive than your other options though.

mnutz likes this.

8. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    I was just getting to suggesting that.
    15, 7, 1 and 0.5 watt. Clean and dirty channels
    I really like the crunch at "low volume"
    [​IMG]

t guitar floyd, xland and mnutz like this.

9. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Wow yeah that Orange does sound pretty ideal for me.

I really want to try to stay at that sub $500 price though.

10. wblynch

wblynch TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    007 is not too loud. And it can be played very quietly with great tone. You should try one.

audiopablo and mnutz like this.

11. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

Aug 1, 2012
    Berlin
    ^this. I had one and there were a bunch of nice marshally tones in it at very low vol. I was missing a nice clean tone though. Dirt cheap, too.

mnutz likes this.

12. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Well, no. You can crank the pre-amp to max crunchiness (Gain knob) and use the Volume knob to control output. That said, it may not be the crunch you want, definitely Vox not Marshall.

mnutz, whitecloud and Tootle like this.

13. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Yeah I know both the Vox and The Bassbreaker have a master volume, but when you crank the gain with the volume down does it sound good? Or is it that kind of fizzy pre-amp distortion?

14. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

IMG_2632.JPG

Well here it is. This little thing has my name written all over it. Somewhere I saw an October release date, and looks to be priced sub $300 USD.

Marshall DSL1HR, top amplifier for electric guitar, all-valve design: 2 x ECC82 3 x ECC83, authentic DSL tone, 2 footswitchable channels classic gain and ultra gain, tone shift button which reconfigures the mids, deep button which adds a resonant bass boost, independent volume and gain controls for both channels, shared tone controls for treble, middle and bass, emulated line output, series FX loop, low power switch from 1 watt to 0.1 watt, incl. footswitch.

grolan1 likes this.

15. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Re the wee Voxes: I've had both the Vox AC4c1-12 and AC10c1. The AC10 beats the AC4 hands down at bedroom volume. The AC10 has a lot fuller voicing (more like its AC30 big bro) despite the smaller speaker, a wider sweep of tone adjustment and more usable range from semi-clean to crunch (there isn't any crystal clean) to overdrive from low to high settings on the master volume. The AC10 crunch is also quite responsive to attack dynamics & guitar volume control, even at bedroom levels. Just my opinion, tho some others around here have said the same.

That Micromarshall head does look like it's worth a hard look/listen tho, if it's bedroom-only you're looking for.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    grolan1 and mnutz like this.

16. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    100% agree. I had the AC4tv head and that went into a 1x12 cab and even then farted out with humbuckers just not in the same league as the AC10c1 I have now.

grolan1 and mnutz like this.

17. whitecloud

whitecloud TDPRI Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Pullman WA
    I want to amend my earlier comment on the VHT Special 6 Ultra. Not that it should sway you away from the soon to be released Marshall 1 watt head,
    more so to share my experiences today. Scenario I borrowed a friends Yammy Pac 12, he had boutique vintage single coils is the neck and middle positions. AB against my Tokai Silver Star(Strat) which I recently put the stock alnico Grey bottoms back in after years of Hot SC's from the same winder he got his V60's from. First up was the AC10, then I moved over to the VHT-1x12 cab (WSG Retro 30) I was doing clean, then full bore and boost then started to use the variable watts selector. I'm thinking this is sounding pretty good now let's try the "Ultra" side" when I first got the amp I really dug that channel but it waned over the years. Today the opposite, really full saturated tones not preamp gain so much. Then of course utilized
    the variable watts knob and then tried half power. When you push those 6v6's while doing the above need to compensate eq and sometimes the tone knob dimed isn't enough so I put a Dano F&C in the loop, problem solved. So you can get Bedroom tones, just not very British. Then I checked out vids on the Bass Breaker 15 and damn now that's on my list. Should stay off the internet ;)
    Oh and so far the stock Tokai are staying, so at least that is saving me some coin

mnutz likes this.

18. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

From your choices I’d take Bassbreaker 007. If you are open for suggestions look at Jet City Amps. So many great choices, new or used. Mine is really great amp, mint condition and cost me $160

mnutz likes this.

19. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Try before you buy. Didn't like the bassbreaker 007. To much midrange and mud for me (with a tele). Vox has a special sound that not everybody like (I dont).

Tootle and mnutz like this.

20. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Well, hope that Marshall works out for you, let us know when you get it!

mnutz likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.