Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AC10c1 vs DSL5 vs Bassbreaker 007?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by mnutz, Sep 21, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm needing to replace this amp.

2class5.jpg

I need something British flavored that I can play in the evening with a houseful of kids, teenager all the way down to baby. Modeling amps and headphones aren't doing it for me, and I need to remain semi connected to reality so i can drop the dad hammer as needed.

I guess at heart I'm a hard rock/punk JCM800 guy. I sold mine when I got married, and I dont see myself getting another anytime soon. My floor space and my guitar time is limited these days. I need something that I can just plug and play, no muss no fuss.

$500 budget. Used isn't a realistic option for me. I'm 3 hours from the closest music store with any sort of used or decent selection. Also 3 hours from any live music, but that's another issue right?! Craigslist is non-existant here and I'm not risking eBay or Reverb. I need a warranty and a return policy.

Thanks!

dr_tom and savofenno like this.

2. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    Birmingham, WM
    Hi ...

Gotta say ... forget the AC10 ... imo, way too loud for anything punk/high gain/not clean.
    DSL5 sounds the best option for you.
    For me the Bassbreaker trying to be something it can't be, unless it was hand-wired.
    (A bit like Vox and their modelling amps with Fender options ... just not real.)

Without wanting to muddy the water ... can I also also throw in .... Blackstar HT5R. 5w tube/12"/2 ch/FX loop + more ... Blackstar engineers came out of Marshall!
    Or, especially if contolling volume is an issue, better to go ss with an Orange Crush 35RT (some excellent reviews on these)
    Both should be well under US$500.

Good luck ...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    Richie-string and mnutz like this.

3. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I have played a 007 head and thought it sounded very good. I don't have an AC10c1 or DSL5C near enough to try out.

I hate the look of the 007, I like it's simplicity. I do miss that it doesn't have emulated headphone out.

I love the look of the Vox and all the videos sound fantastic. Again I miss the headphone out.

I love the look of the Marshall and the feature set is perfect for me, but all the videos sound like steaming piles of crap. I haven't seen a single video of anyone playing a tele through it.

I mainly play a vintage style tele.

4. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Monoprice Stage Right 15W for under $200. It's Voxy Marshally. Laney in disguise.

[​IMG]

5. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

What's the difference between The Blackstar HT5r and the DSL5c? No reverb, but same tube configuration? Similar tones?

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    dr_tom, Lostinsound and mnutz like this.

7. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Why are you replacing it? Is that the Class 5?

Don't like the sound? or simply to loud at the crunch you like for your current applications?

mnutz likes this.

8. Trying to understand why you are selling your Marshall, assuming it is a Class 5 right? Tell me what you don't like about it? Seems perfect for home playing.

9. Great minds... :)

mnutz likes this.

10. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

It's too loud. I use pedals to get the crunch at lower volume and don't like the sound that results.

11. 41144

41144 Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2017
    Birmingham, WM
    Hi again ...
    DSL5C has gain / ultra gain channels ... and v. diff tube config/electronics to HT5R.
    imho - the DSL5C is a monster Gain animal ... gain or more gain as the options ... no finesse to it.
    HT5R has Clean & EQ/Gain channels.
    Interestingly you also said "I play mainly vintage style Tele" ... so you might like the Clean channel of the HT5R, or a similar amp with a clean channel.
    btw - I scrubbed out the references to Vox as I thought them not helpful in retrospect.
    Best wishes ...

12. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yes it's a Class 5. I like the sound cranked, love the build quality and looks. It's no good for high gain, low volume use.

13. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

By "vintage style tele" I was referring to a 3 barrel telecaster with vintage Blackguard style pickups. I was not referring to my playing style. My playing style is probably best equated with Social Distortion style hard rock.

14. Tried the headphone out?

mnutz likes this.

15. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting that the AC10 may be too much like my Class 5. Too loud at the crunch level I need.

I like that the DSL5c has a 1 watt mode. Even better is that new DSL1 that's coming out!

16. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I thought it was a workaround that did not sound good.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    mnutz likes this.

18. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

That is really awesome news! That 1 watt rig may be the perfect answer for me!

19. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I like the VHT special 6 Ultra because it's handwired, and it has a VVT system that allows you to get breakup at much lower volumes by dialing the plate voltage back. This is in addition to a 'half power switch'

20. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    the monoprice has a 15/1 watt switch for late nights. It gets dirty around 3 and goes into classic rock crunch that is voxy/marshally. And it has a real spring reverb instead of a digital chip. And a Celestion 70/80.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.