Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to start a Bassman Micro build, but I have some general questions

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by tvas22, Dec 6, 2018.

1. tvas22

tvas22 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    UK
    Hi everyone.

I am about to start a bassman micro build. I built a 5f1 last year, but that's all my experience so far (other than a lot of effects pedal building..)

I was wondering if it would be OK to use a generic turret board (just two rows of turrets) rather than creating the specific turret board on the layout? I realise I will have to shift things about a little, and it will be slightly longer, but is there anything else I should be concerned about? I initially thought, well... it's not really much different from using tag board, but then I thought maybe I should check first before moving ahead.

I also fancied having a go at including the HRD spring reverb layout (also from robrob's site). I had a go at making the layout a little smaller as I am used to working on strip board rather than matrix board, which I posted over at the tagboard effects forum and got an even more compact layout in reply (http://guitar-fx-layouts.42897.x6.nabble.com/Hot-Rod-Deluxe-Reverb-Layout-td44932.html). Does this look OK? I was also thinking about using strip board for the power supply for this board, but I thought I should check if strip board will be OK to take the initial 50v bias tap?

I am also a little unsure of the best place to install the reverb circuit. I'm not buying the power transformer until next month, and the choke and output transformer are coming from Finland in "3-5 weeks", so I have a little time to fill planning. On the power transformer, can any one point me in the direction of a UK source for the hammond 370ax? I've been keeping my eye out, and I would ideally rather go for something local (less time waiting and lower shipping).

As it's going in a Princeton reverb chassis, I was thinking of putting the effects loop at the back in place of the foot switch (the chassis is pre-drilled). Are there any concerns re noise doing this?

Thanks for the help!

2. corn husk bag

corn husk bag TDPRI Member

May 18, 2016
    Washington State, the wet side.
    Subscribed
    Thank you kindly!

3. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    If you can fit everything with a generic turret board then you'll be fine.

I would use the AB763 layout for direction on where to put the reverb components (between the power amp and preamp components).

The FX jacks in the rear of the chassis will be ok but you may need to use shielded cable to run across the circuit board. You could try twisting the two FX wires and running them under the board first.

4. tvas22

tvas22 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    UK
    Hey, thank you for the reply. I will try twisting the FX loop wires and see how I get on.

I was planning on taking the dry in for the reverb board from the tip of the FX loop return, then the output from the reverb board to the VB1 coupling cap. Is that right? In terms of actually physically placing the reverb board, would it be better closer to the pot (which I will put after the mid pot) or closer to the pan in/out? Either way I will need to run some wire across the chassis.. would keeping the pot leads short and twisting the pan in/out leads be better than the other way round?

5. tvas22

tvas22 TDPRI Member

Aug 28, 2016
    UK
    Started laying out the components now - does this look OK?

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.