Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to pull the trigger on a 69 Tele - few Q's...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by mattdean4130, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    Glad to hear it worked out well.

2. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Hey Guys, another quick question please (and thank you :) )

Doing an order up at Stewmac for the few bits and pieces i need to get this guitar up and playing and I thought while I was at it, for the extra few bucks I might get a replacement Truss Nut just to have on hand in teh event it's needed.

They list two threads:
    8-32 & 10-32

Anybody know which will suit? I can't find this on google anywhere

Attached Files:

3. 4telecaster4

4telecaster4 Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2011
    Really nice guitar and story behind it

4. mattdean4130

Thanks guys, here's a few more pics for you all. Unravels some more detail about the guitars history...

The story checks out, there is some original paint left in the cavities.

The humbucker is a Schaller.

Pickguard is pearloid on the underside.

My plan is to get an ashtray bridge back on it - I know a lot of you would leave as is but I just don't dig on those flat bridges. It looks as it the body has been re-drilled for the new bridge, i've shown a pic of a Wilkinson plate I had lying around aligned with the string through holes, alignment looks decent to me. I'll have to fill/re-drilled the holes though.

I ordered a set of Rutters saddles for the guitar today. I may use this plate, or buy a stamped fender plate. Will see.

Also mid-way through an order on stewmac for a bone nut, strap pins & maybe an electrosocket (hell it's already modified and I want a player - electrosocket is reasonably nondestructive) as that's what is missing on the guitar.

The switch cuts in and out, I'll try polishing the contacts to save it.

Then a clean up and set up and see how I like it wired as is with the bucket, it does sound pretty cool even with the old rusty strings that were on it. I am a sucker for a traditional spec tele though, so the original neck pickup may go back in with a repro plate. If I do this I may re-wire the whole guitar with new stuff to keep the loom I got the guitar with as-is...

Not much left on the frets, maybe one last crown. Will see how it plays once it's all back together properly and make that call.

So many options. Can't wait to get her playing again! IMG_20170706_191025867.jpg IMG_20170706_191302371.jpg IMG_20170706_191320636.jpg IMG_20170707_122642824.jpg IMG_20170707_123849300.jpg

5. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Tele-Afflicted

Looks like a great old guitar. Congrats!

- D

6. mattdean4130

Tinkering continues.

Somebody thought it a good idea to epoxy the input socket in, I guess the nut fell off haha
    IMG_20170707_185654739.jpg

Managed to get her all cleaned up though, even saved the original retaining clip.

IMG_20170707_192234516.jpg

If you guys are interested I'll keep posting progress here?
    It's a massive privelege to be able to repair a real deal old tele, let alone your own! I'm having a blast!

Stubee likes this.

7. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    I think the body finish is original. Clear poly lacquer of that sort chips like that. They were poly by that time. Also, the only late 60s or later Teles with Ash bodies were blond (like my '78) where you could see grain through the finish and Natural finish - there may be a 'Natural' stamp in the neck pocket or in a pickup route. If it had been painted a solid colour there'd be paint in the routes. Solid colour and sunburst Teles have poplar or alder bodies as good figured ash was in short supply and paint covers a multitude of blemishes.

You can chip it off and peel it in strips if you like but I wouldn't The checking on the body and neck looks exactly like my 78 did. It also reacted with the headstock stickers so the headstock face continued to be finished in nitro until sometime in the eighties.

8. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Angela had a lot of AV Reissue and NOS Tele parts like bridge plates - I fitted one to my '69RI plus threaded bridge saddles.

9. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ah, just read the bit about he refin. Ok, so it was a blonde (would have been nearly white to start with).

10. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    The nut will work out fine the thread is the right size or you could just buy a genuine Fender one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/original-...374444?hash=item3d0d9ca3ec:g:3DIAAOSwFqJWiEtj

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Do consider to put a low output PAF type humbucker back in the neck position. It gives a superb in-between sound and it would look great with the original pickguard. You could use the little switch to activate a high-pass filter for the neck humbucker. Also, you can connect the tone control to the bridge pickup only (and not the neck PU).

If you would refinish that body and replace all the hardware with new parts and put a new pickguard on it it will look like a new 70 reissue. Why would you want that? You already have a 69RI..

A Don Mare Pole-90 in the neck position would also be great. You could embrace those mods as they open up lots of possibilities that you would not have if it were completely original.

BTW if the thread isn't too oxydized and you can get it loose, you can easily polish that original trussrod nut back to a clean shine. No need to replace it if it is just the top that is rusted.

Also, believe it or not, glueing in a piece of wood to fill that humbucker route can ruin the sound of the guitar. I used to fill a couple of those HB routes with CNC cut wooden inserts. I CNC cut the bodies also to get a perfect fit for the wooden insert, down to 1/100 of a mm. Then I rerouted the body again for a SC neck pickup. The sound of those guitars suddenly was much worse than it was.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

12. mattdean4130

No I don't have any plans to refinish the guitar. It was refinished to natural about 40 years ago by the previous owner - I love the way it looks as is. It's part of the guitars soul.
    I'm only replacing hardware that is missing or broken, with the exception of the flat 6 saddle bridge. I just don't like them. I may return it to its stock original neck pickup, but I'll see how I like it once it's all setup and playing again first.

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    You've got most of the important stuff. Lots of oxidation on the components, which should clean-up OK. Late 60s neck pickups are around, if you're thinking about putting it back to the stock configuration. I looked for a 69-70 bridgeplate for my '70 and they're around, but pricey. You have a great looking Tele there. Fender does sell a 60sRI guard, with the truss adjust scoop as an aftermarket part. I have one on my '70 and it fits perfectly and color matches. Twenty-some dollars, if I recall. Good luck with it; it's a beautiful vintage Tele. Just don't sell it!

14. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    Here's the "eggshell" (not quite parchment) late 60s pickguard for your year. It's available from Darren Riley's for $29. It's called a "64 Tele Pickguard." I used it on my '70 and it matches the 47 year-old
    guard perfectly. And, the fit was spot-on.

64-Vintage-Eggshell-Pickguard.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.