Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to pull the trigger on a 69 Tele - few Q's...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by mattdean4130, Jul 4, 2017.

1. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Hey guys,
    It's been a little while since I have been active here - forgive me!
    But I am in need of some real advice...

Have the opportunity to purchase a blonde '69 tele (legit stamps and heel) that has seen some unfortunate mods in its time (6saddle flat bridge, neck bucker, cool tap switch drilled between knobs...)
    So it wll only be a player.
    Which I am more than happy about - plus I don't have a rosewood board tele in my arsenal...

However, it's a legit '69, and likely the only time I'll have the opportunity to own such a vintage instrument without re-mortgaging my home!

Couple quick questions please;
    1) Truss rod adjuster is very corroded - have not attempted to touch it but gave it a small squirt of WD40. What are the options here?

2) Is there any sort of online resource for tracking down/buying original parts?
    Or should I just appreciate it for what it is and throw a good quality Barden (etc) compensated bridge on it and play the thing??

Also curious I cannot see any wood joins or cap veneers, but down under the neck pickup appears to be a join (see pic)?
    Anybody have some insight there?

It comes with original neck pickup, so realistically I'm up for a bridge and scratch plate, needs a nut, strap button and an input cup.

Just after a little general advice etc please gents.

Matt
    IMG_20170627_122923805.jpg IMG_20170627_122831357.jpg IMG_20170627_122839606_HDR.jpg IMG_20170627_122811112.jpg IMG_20170627_122824078.jpg

2. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Looks like a cool axe. I would guess the body is a 3 piece, but it's difficult to tell with all the checking. The headstock looks like it was refinished or something, the way it peeled is unusual. If the action is good now, there's a good chance you wil never need to adjust the truss rod, I'm not sure if it's possible to fix or replace a frozen one. I would give it a little WD-40 to try to loosen it, beware leaving it too "wet"; it can attract dust, which will hold moisture and could make the corrosion worse. Good luck!

3. mipstoo

mipstoo TDPRI Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Rockingham Palace
    Looks like 3 pieces.
    Original bridge (without saddles) I've seen on ebay. I think the seller had more of them.
    Scratchplate would be safest in repro or scan Reverb and eBay for a while.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    You would be surprised at what that brass bridge would sell if you would put it on Ebay with the right description

6. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    Great looking instrument there. I don't consider any period mods as detractors at all, but the bridge is a little late for my taste. I like everything else, but would use something other than WD-40. WD-40 is designed to displace moisture, not so much loosen frozen parts and there isn't much place for water to go inside the truss rod cavity. I think I would drizzle some Kroil in there instead.

Really great instrument, I am jealous.

cactusrob likes this.

7. mattdean4130

Hey Antoon, do you have any info on the bridge, or know where I might find?

Thanks for the replies all, I can't believe I have the opportunity to purchase this. Never thought I'd own a vintage tele.

What is the general consensus on the '69s as far as years go ??
    Any general/useful/tidbit type info ?

Thanks guys

8. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I have a 68, was cut for a humbucker that year and installed the same brass 6 saddle. That looks like a "Badass" brass, out of production now. I still have it but recently put back the original 3 saddle. Highest offer so far was $45 so I never sold it. Looks like the bridge Keith Richards uses on his 5 string. Intonates better for jazz standards and has a warmer sound than the original steel 3 saddle.

Suggest you buy a good aftermarket bridge or new Fender bridge as mentioned, change the control,panel, re-wire it the way it should be. I wouldn't search or pay for original parts - they aren't better IMO just expensive and there's a lot of bs out there. I recently installed a Dimarzio DP211 humbucker to avoid overpowering the bridge p/u. Back to the way it was in 68 but now with an Area T noiseless bridge p/u for recording. Not as much guts as the original but no ice-pick. I also use an Area T neck p/u with a new pickguard as the original neck p/u went south. A common problem from what I've read.

I found a new pickguard that fits, installed noiseless single-coils. Walked into a local music store, he had about 15 pickguards and one of them fit right on, didn't even have to re-drill the screw-holes but had to float the neck p/u. Doesn't look original but gets the job done and I can switch into either configuration with a soldering gun and 1/2 hour of my time.

002.JPG

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Peckhammer likes this.

9. mattdean4130

Do you guys think this is the original body finish?
    Plenty of checking would suggest, the owner has had it since very close to new and did the mods to it himself - didn't mention it as being refinished...

Only seem to see pics of Blondie's floating around, whereas this one seems more natural?

10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Based on the look of that bridge I expect it to be an original old Schecter bridge. These are highly sought after by Keith Richards/Micawber fans. They look specifically for Schecter (not Badass/Gotoh/Kluson, although I cannot tell the difference). If you offer it on Ebay as Schecter with the words Keith Richards Micawber in the description I am sure you will get a good price. This is a completed auction for a NOS original Schecter (sold for $267). Yours has a superior and exactly right patina for a Micawber copy. It will look much more authentic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1970-039-s-1980-039-s-SCHECTER-TELECASTER-GUITAR-BRIDGE-ORIGINAL-BRASS-GOLD-MINT-/371944059392?hash=item569997f200:g:844AAOSw42JZEKBV&nma=true&si=R%2F0YZmURqUZdjNAXtuvVzBOwzRA%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    BTW I love the look of that 69 "as is". That specific 70s modified look is historically significant. It is a look that is as classic as the original look. A prime example of a stripped hippie finished neck humbucker modified Tele! It even has the brass bridge and the phase switch. It inspired Fender to introduce the 'Natural' finish and Tele Custom model in the 70s. They even had their own version of the high mass brass bridge.

Don't 'restore' it!! It is much cooler and interesting as-is.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    kidmo likes this.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Me...

I would put a white buck-to-SC route cover in the neck and stick an SC in there.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    That looks stripped/natural to me.
    That alone cuts the value by half.
    I'd forget buying original parts...the used parts market is sick.
    '69 has an oddball pick guard.
    Probably set you back $600+ for a decent one.

14. rob2

rob2 Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2009
    Cork,Ireland
    .. don't let WD40 near it again....as already pointed out its not really a penetrating oil but a preservative gunk,designed to leave a sticky film on metal that inhibits corrosion.In fact try to avoid petroleum based oils near wood,esp bare wood,at all times.they can cause wood to swell and soften and are almost impossible to remove.
    Leave the rod unless you really need to adjust it.I'd need to see the corrosion to make a proper suggestion but carefully heating the nut is one way to free it....there is another scarier variation but really a stuck truss rod nut on a nice old instrument is an experienced pro job....
    There are plenty of places that will do a custom scratchplate cheaply if you want to replace the pickup...for a '69 you need the pearloid on the bottom,thats if you want authentic!
    If you want it back pretty original,use reliced or age your own modern parts.
    Natural was not a standard finish for these in '69,came in about '72 for solid teles.I'd leave it,grain looks fine and it looks like an old job.You'd spend big money for an authentic refin and most amateur jobs look exatly that,amateur.Really all you need is bridge and scratchplate with the original neck p/u to get it looking classic vintage.

15. mattdean4130

No worries. Value isn't an issue for me really. And when it's a done deal and the guitar is at my house, you'll fall over at the price.

Thanks for the advice! Yep, it only got a tiny squirt. It's very corroded - but I haven't scratched at it to see how deep.

I think the plan is to use good quality modern but period correct parts I guess. No point sourcing real '69 parts when it's been refinished and modified over the years. A nice player will make me happy.

Once i've bolted it all up with the parts I want I plan on having it setup by somebody experienced in vintage tele's, I don't plan on messing with the rod too much.

Thanks all for the advice, appreciate it!

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, back in the day MANY players refinished their Teles in natural wood to the point that Fender made it a stock finish in response I think.

For what it's worth my April 1969 neck date Tele has a serial number of 2447xx.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I think it looks awesome and would not change a thing about it unless it doesn't play well or you hate the tone.

18. mattdean4130

Well it's official, I own the guitar :)

Pretty cool story actually...

The guy I bought it off was the second owner - he bought it from the widow of a man he worked with who was killed in a car accident. This was in Denmark, approximately 45 years ago he says.

He was quite the perfectionist, and was never happy with the original bridge intonation so installed the 6 saddle bridge and humbucker. He refinished himself at the same time, apparently he absolutely hated the original blonde colour! He finished it in lacquer he got from a violin maker, Judging my the checking, timeline and feel i'll assume it's something at least pretty similar to nitro. Told me he did 12 coats and sanded each to a mirror finish - as instructed by the violin maker.

He's played it off and on ever since.

Now how I came to own it...

The man approached a friend of mine who runs a local little recording studio, and asked him to facilitate getting it repaired because he wanted to sell it. Basically he wasn't playing it much anymore and wanted it to go to a good new home (we're all a bit soft and romantic about our guitars aren't we).

My recording friend called me immediately. I talked to the owner, and basically I said to him straight away that I know some of these old guitars go for big money - and I am just not in a position to offer that kind of money. I offered him straight away the highest I could possibly afford to pay for the guitar at this time (I literally just bought a new car last week) and assured him it was a guitar I wanted to own forever and wanted to play, not invest in.

He said he would feel good about that amount, and to him it was fair for both of us and he enjoyed hearing about my tele's i have now, we swapped some gig stories etc and that was that.

Seemed like a really cool guy.

Stubee and Crashbelt like this.

19. itsEdh

itsEdh TDPRI Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Sacramento
    Well, congratulations on a deal well done. That's the best outcome that could be had. I like stories like that.

20. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.