Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to ditch cable - what to do for live news?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    I find that the global international national regional, local news, does not serve me at all.
    I ask myself does this information serve me?
    Is it true?
    Can I do anything to improve these situation by doing something different from the way I live my life.
    Do I live my life in a way that does not compound the problems in the news?
    What does the news actually report that it has not already given me stories about
    People are crazy .
    The world is a dangerous place
    Be afraid.
    The ideal speculation on the details of the activities of others
    Do I need to know who's doing what to whom and ,how where or when.
    I know about a lot of stuff, most of which is not within my sphere of influence.
    Do I need the news.

Average_Joe likes this.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and TheGoodTexan like this.

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My wife watches in my opinion way more news than she needs to. I find that what is being reported today as earthshattering news, drops off the face of the earth usually by the next day. It's interesting, my son the engineer who has a number of people working with him, and is actually the man in charge of his department when asked about a news event will usually reply, you know I've been so busy I'm not really up on the news. I think back to my most productive years, and when I was really doing something of importance, and I don't usually think of a news story that was happening at the time. I spent a lot of years listening to way more country music on the radio, than I did the news, and I never even thought of the news. Now it's like a bowel movement if you don't have it every day, you better start worrying.

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Just remember TGT, no matter where it comes from:

[​IMG]

5. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

I think some of the fire sticks, apple tv, etc, have services that will give you CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc only an hour or so delayed.

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    From the time I started this thread until someone resurrected it today (which is fine) life changed directions on us, and the need to subscribe to a cable service continues. One single service works in two cities for us, which is what we’re doing (Louisville/Nashville), for no extra money. We just log in from the internet and get most of the same channels, including all of the major news sources.

7. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    name the media sources that government security agencies referred to as their favorite sources to diseminate disinformation.
    1.) I love the fact that , they admitted spreading disinformation.
    2.) I do appreciate them naming the most used sources to disseminate disinformation.
    transparency?

telemnemonics likes this.

8. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    I haven't had cable in years. Besides print and Internet reading, I get news from radio, and that's almost exclusively NPR and BBC—mainly because they don't have commercials.

I found I miss very little without pictures/video. But even with audio-only news, I'm still constantly parsing it. Don't fully trust any of 'em.

9. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I'm late to the show, but here's my two cents worth;

I haven't watched television for many years now.
    TV news blaring, even in a doctor's waiting room, is like nails raking down a chalkboard to me.
    I literally cannot abide it.

I get my news strictly from the internet.
    Every morning and every evening, I review the internet news from a great number of news outlets around the world.

The BBC.
    Fox News.
    CNN.
    New Zealand Herald News.
    Haaretz, Israeli news.
    Spiegel, a German news outlet.
    The Japan News.
    The Local ES, a Spanish news website.

Then, knowing what I know about their political leanings and editorial policies, I can compare and contrast how each news story is covered (or not covered at all), and somewhere in there, I can hope to divine the truth.

Same thing driving to and from work in the car.
    I listen to local talk radio, all of it fairly conservative.
    I switch over and I listen to NPR, an extremely liberal radio news resource.
    I compare and contrast, trying to find the truth.

It's not easy anymore.
    Very few outlets choose to report the truth anymore.

Instead, rather, they choose to foment a narrative that is usually many, many miles removed from the truth.

It takes diligence and an objective, analytical mind.
    But it's worth all the work, in the end.
    :(

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    I almost entirely agree and find that watching my wife watching the news it's plain to see that it makes her sick and miserable, so can be viewed as a health hazard.

The small area where I disagree is that i need to keep well enough informed to write my congresspersons when votes that may indeed effect my life (and the next generations whom we have some responsibility for) are coming up.
    One of my congresspersons happens to be a swing voter who hangs on neither side of the aisle, so writing can actually make a difference, at least in theory.
    I always get a reply.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    This is great and "news to me"!

Care to share which sources are guv secs faves?

12. Jim603

Jim603 TDPRI Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Hampshire
    I don't watch TV, but I have cable for my kids. It drives me crazy to have to pay an outrageous cable TV bill, and have to watch commercials too. If I'm paying a premium to watch content, I shouldn't be subjected to ads. I get news from major news websites and podcasts.

13. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Oct 11, 2016

Simple... dont watch it... or listen... lol!!:D

Seriously... don't ;)

TheGoodTexan likes this.

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I’ve not looked at live news for three of four years.. BBC app and Reuters alerts, etc. get me the ‘live’ news and videos quicker than waiting for a scheduled programme.

+1 on Economist.

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess we all have our notion of "flat EQ". Most of the US local talk radio I've listened to was extremely conservative. Your local station may be the exception. I also find NPR slightly liberal. That's my EQ!

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Station(s).
    I get all the Huntsville, Birmingham, and Nashville stations.
    I have never once heard a liberal Talk Radio station or show that made it more than a few months on the air.

Your perception of NPR as 'slightly liberal' is interesting to me.
    I find their direction, motivations, and programming to be only slightly to the left of Vladimir Lenin.
    But then again, I'm a man of science.
    I don't ever care to debate 'politics', since I abhor the very notion of it.

Destructive, messy nonsense it is, surely.

:twisted:

17. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    Likewise. If you know the direction of spin you can often unspin it it.

18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va
    I dont watch any cable news, well the Chinese news every now and then even though I dont understand it. But most cable news seems short on actual news and long on opinion so the only news I watch is my local news.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Maybe more via content other stations just do not have. Liberal and Conservative as most think don't apply to me so if liberal, I really like the way NPR is respectful when they interview a conservative.

One reason I like the Economist, NPR and my New York Times is breadth of content.

20. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 12, 2016
    Virginia Beach, Va

That's exactly what I tell a friend of mine. Shes constantly worked up about a whatever a certain network decides she should be worked up about. Outside of that shes a lovely person. I keep telling her to just turn it all off. Go for a walk, play with her kid, something... but turn it off

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.