Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to ditch cable - what to do for live news?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Hmm

I am surprised this thread is still alive. I thought it was technical aspect of non wire local news.

ps.. I am news junkie too..

getting live feed on hurricane today..

Hard to spin that on left or right .. lol

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

If there ever was a story that was nothing but spin...

darren7, uriah1 and Mike Eskimo like this.
  3. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I was watching some pre-game football talking heads last night and it reminded me of most of the TV news I see: nothing was happening, but they have to talk about SOMETHING, so it ends up being color commentary "what ifs," speculation, and opinion. They have a certain amount of time to fill, so the same NFL talking points and "analysis" get recycled over and over, the same building blocks rearranged on a loop, i.e. "how will it affect this and that," etc. Sports news tickers on the bottom and everything.

Then the actual game happened and none of it mattered.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Here's the silliest about concerns or bother over SPIN. There are good sources of journalism. The technique I described for taking in news is effective. You can follow footnotes and sources when you read. Looking at bias and extremes and how some think or feel is insightful.

Also, it seems a whole lot of times people don't really know our history with how we used to get and now get news. For that I suggest the book Master Switch by Tim Wu. A good description is interesting history, modern context, and very accurate history of real fake news vs fake fake news before fake news was a term. It's really worth knowing the history from town criers to controlled news networks with a lot of consistency and having a modern version of what we used to have. It's one of those books you should read for a good picture of where we've been and where we're at.

telemnemonics and SolidSteak like this.
  5. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I loved that book. It's a good background for the "net neutrality" debate as well.

imwjl likes this.
  6. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    If you really must have TV and have decent broadband, try DirecTV Now.

We cut the cord earlier this year and took their promo a few months ago with free AppleTV promo; $90 for three months of the service with zero commitment past that (but at the same rate if we continue) and they threw in a ~$150 AppleTV.

I'll leave my opinions about the relative worth of "Live News" versus checking the web occasionally alone. I've watched a little cable news over the last week as background noise in my home office. Unreal.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. When people say they haven't watched the news in six years, it goes a long way to explaining how we got to where we are.

uriah1, telemnemonics and imwjl like this.
  8. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    The way I see it is that it is our own fault. No one wants to pay for their news, everyone wants it free, like a handout. If I can’t PAY for my news, I have no right to complain when the news follows whatever agenda whoever is paying for it subscribes to.

Our local papers are closing far too often and it’s our own fault.

Ok, that’s about as riled up as I get anymore :)

Modman68 and imwjl like this.
  9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    The Economist is excellent. The WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch now if I'm not mistaken, so I take whatever I read there with a grain of salt.
    Generally, cable news, regardless of political leaning, is mostly about trying to get ratings, and so to me is generally worthless. There's also only one online source that I really trust, mostly because they don't pretend as though they don't have a slant but rather admit to it and own it.

10. imwjl

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.

Maybe consider re-defining entertainment?

What I mean. I'm always at Wall St. Journal and NY Times news each day and these days it's the app or web. We only get the print version once a week. Beyond news I find tremendous enriching stuff and it does include video and photos. When I'm around a lot of people I know sitting at a TV I kind of think "Why are you wasting your time with that silly and often stupid stuff?".

The other important thing to consider is our cable TV bill was much more than what I get with two newspaper subscriptions and all the superb digital content from our public library system.

I get the riled up part. When some of my silly friends are all riled up about deficits I've thought curiosity and critical thinking are deficit issues!

:)

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Definitely counterclockwise...

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Learning what's actually happening is best done through research, farming out the research to a subcontractor may not be the best approach, but sometimes we cannot go where the news happens.

For news on wars I've been enlightened by returning soldiers.
    Lots and lots of war reality never makes the news.
    For news on science I find scientists are pretty hip.
    Even when they disagree, they closely examine the same reality.
    For politics I write my congresspersons.
    They usually write back, even if in a form letter for their constituents who inquire.
    For health/ diet/ nutrition it's challenging, but I tend to look back at history rather than forward toward the cutting edge.
    Modern medical science is full of snake oil, even your Doctor.
    Grill them on what they really know about a treatment and it can be surprising.
    For weather I ask my wife or wait and see, but generally prepare for the worst because it will come eventually.
    Even as a kid I learned pretty quickly that much of what we are told is simply not true, and we need to look to other sources and gather info perspectives if we want to understand. Understanding is different from knowing though.

News sources are useful too, my Mother was a journalist for decades and I loved hanging around at the office as a kid, or going out to scenes being reported on.
    Delivering information is sort of like doing card tricks.
    You can tell someone three things, but manipulate the feel so that they focus on the unimportant so that you can do due diligence yet withhold essential stuff by upstaging it with fluff.
    I see this more in the long game, because it's hard to know what will end badly at the beginning, when we might be able to take action.
    An example might be a story on a planned harmful solution to an inconvenient problem upstaged by some human interest story or maybe a minor triumph over a similar problem.
    Think Western corporate/ industrial terrorism.

Many times over the decades I've noticed excessive reportage of a minor feel good story while another situation gets little coverage, despite being more important.
    In this way it seems the downward progression of the human condition become the card on the back of the magicians hand, so to speak.

Recently though there is more of a trend to call the previously palmed card fake news, and further, more real fake news is generated to defame the source of info on subjects that are inconvenient for profit and progress.

One eventually finds they know how a given reportage cartel spins stuff, and can then seek info on an emerging story from several sources to get a decent pic of the realities playing out.

Seems like news reportage has a goal of a cutline, which kind of requires an analysis and a somewhat more singular conclusion than complex realities actually contain.

TV news is kind of like throwing a bag of uncooked rice on top of your steak dinner.
    What we get fed fills us up and makes us sick as much as nourishes and informs our intelligence.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  13. imwjl

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    The news and opinion pages are different but I do seek multiple reporters and sources on a same topic. My trying to get through each every day shows me both do good news reporting. With a 10 year anniversary here, yesterday or the day before had a tremendous WSJ article on some not so well known by all or easily forgotten things the past two administrations did. You would not find that in all of the Murdoch products, and especially the truth and respect given to the past leaders from both sides of the aisle. WSJ news is pretty good and not their opinion section.

Modman68 likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    There are generally certain details of a complex situation that are treated differently by reportage coming from opposing views; or omitted by one or the other.
    Spotting those smaller inconsistencies and then going to other sources to try to clarify just the small details can shine a bright light into the biases of the sources and show what they are hiding or manipulating.

Maybe this is stupidly obvious, but doing the research after seeing the inconsistencies is IMO more important than noting that they are there.

15. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Yip ! I’m one of those folks who doesn’t like my news predigested for my entertainment pleasure. Gimme the facts and I will draw my own conclusions. I still like to read my morning papers(paper editions) and do my crossword puzzles. Everything has become too wordy. It’s like I’m not supposed to have my own opinion I’m just supposed to pick a news outlet that represents what I want to hear. And if I ever find one that isn’t one negative diatribe after the other then maybe I will be happy. Until then I just look to foreign news networks and hope I don’t find myself in the obituaries in Oman.

Don’t get me wrong, I love to read the opinion pieces and I am seldom disappointed in the predictable content . But it’s for my entertainment and amusement.

Paul in Colorado and uriah1 like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    If I could actually see the meteor coming at us that would destroy the world, I would not believe a newscast detailing the matter. When so called news outlets started publishing stories from confidential news sources, or fairy tales whichever you prefer, I quite listening, watching, or giving a damn what they have to say. I could have a confidential source supplying me with the very well kept secret that GetBent is actually Dirty Harry. Apparently if I were connected with, or could pass that information along to someone who is in the news business, I could do so with impunity. This is simply not right, anyone accused of anything should be able to face their accuser, to accuse someone from the safety of anonymity is just dishonest, and I will not read what they are saying no matter who reports it.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I was just watching CBS online this morning for Hurricane Flo coverage. You can get it if you need it.

18. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Everything is on the Internet now. News and Entertainment. Most is free except for advertisements. Better than TV broadcasts you can choose what you watch or read and search out the subjects you are interested in. Unless its a family viewing thing you really don't need OTA or Cable. The greatness about the current world of communication is the viewer / reader/ researcher has so many choices with which to be informed or not.

19. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Toronto
    With an antenna, you’ll still be able to pick up your local affiliate, depending on your proximity to their transmitter, of course.

One thing that has shocked me after being cable-free for a few years, is how little patience I now have for commercials!

I don’t know how people can stand watching broadcast/cable TV!

20. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    News TV: PBS
    Even better news: Public Radio at 3:00-7:00

telemnemonics and uriah1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.