Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to ditch cable - what to do for live news?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    I guess I'm at a disadvantage because my view of the world is not edited and spoon fed to me by commercially motivated news sources.

uriah1 and screefer like this.
  2. Georox

Georox Tele-Afflicted

Oct 30, 2014
    The tan house in AZ
    So a non commercially but a self driven motivated news source is the answer? I like NPR for the most part but I catch them spinning issues not by their direct opinion but by the guests they choose to let spin it for them.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

What is your main news source?

4. BigDaddyLH

^^^ I watch InfoWars for entertainment. Are you saying it is actually a news programme?

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    It is for some people...o_O

Tell you what GT, p.m. me and I’ll give you my phone number and you can give me yours.

And if anything really crazy in the world happens I’ll give you a ring and let you know and if you need a quick update just give me a ring . OK ? OK..

6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    No, it’s a platform for the host to shill supplements...

7. BigDaddyLH

"this stuff is only found in comets ... and trace amount in blueberries" :lol::lol::lol:

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    Wow, I'd like to know who put together that chart. I'd say they either ditched cable a long time ago or they are part of the "propaganda" machine that they are warning us about.

Not going to read all the posts here so apologize in advance if this is a duplicate: We have been trying Direct TV Now (streaming version of Direct TV) for about a weekend. I would love to drop cable but would still like to have a way to keep up with news and sports.

It's been pretty good so far. You might try it. With something like Chromecast, you can stream to your TV. It has pretty much all the major networks, ESPN, Fox and CNN.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    ravindave_3600 likes this.
  9. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Holly crap. Just completely ignore live news. I have not watch any sort of news on television in at least a year or more and don't miss it.

I cannot believe that anything that any supposed news source has to offer has any relevance to anything couched in realty.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Unbiased news will now land you in court and possibly get you some prison time these days.
    Life is so much simpler and more enjoyable when you close your ears and eyes to all the manipulations of the MSM.

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    My question exactly, dave, but we must be in the minority here. I need 162 baseball games and some college basketball, but I suppose there's a package for such things.

12. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    By The Levee
    May not be the answer you are looking for, but I get my news fix from aggregation sites - Drudge and Real Clear Politics plus Rough and Tumble for CA specific stories - and free newspaper sites. Also France 24 and Der Spiegel for a Euro view. Personally prefer reading to watching to skip or skim and have to be on another’s time frame. For live, try BBC app.

MrClint likes this.
  13. BigDaddyLH

Sad!

I was just watching the PBS Newshour. I claim it was couched in reality and I am not sending this from jail.

awasson and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.

Mental health is getting worse.
    Food is getting worse.
    Access to clean water is getting worse.
    Health care is getting worse.
    Peoples attitudes are getting worse.
    Suicide is up.
    Consumerism is up.
    Product quality is down.
    Reasons to rejoice are down.
    Paranoia is up.
    Trust is down.
    The most believed concept is that everyone is lying.

There is no govt solution, and no reportage will change that.

There are a few journalists I believe are not lying/ spinning, but no reportable info is simple enough any more to really understand to any useful degree; useful suggesting one can do something with the info to improve things.

...Well, I suppose one could avoid writing stuff like this post, instead extolling the virtues of the latest widely acceptable guitar purchase, like maybe hey! my new CV Squier is the best guitar ever!
    When my AC15 arrives I'm going to take my P&W band on the road!

Really, that's not a bad idea, yeah, we've reached that point I think.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    awasson likes this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2014
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Having internet, TV is over.

I have been 15 years without TV. I was living in the UK for 4 years and had no TV. Now I have a small TV. I have kids and don't want to force them to be isolated (if is not their decision)

Read my signature

16. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    It is sad. watching the garbage they promote as news is just so lame. I find, I just don't need it. I find no reason to be spoon fed garbage "news" in the guise of something I need to know.

I am such a retard that they have to deliver news by way of video. No thank you. Listening to some news anchor tard is not my idea of "getting the news".

Seriously folks. Turn of the tard (boob tube) box. your life will be better for it. I'm going on 2 years without TV and seriously, my life is so much better. I do not want to be one of those folks that end up dying watching a mind suck thing they call television.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  17. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

You could always make yourself live TV news....:D

TDPRITV..we cross now to a developing situation in Nashville...

Hi Bob, things are getting tense here, a man previously known to be a good Texan has left his house, walked across to his neighbors lawn and just stood there....

a crowd is beginning to gather, Bob.. this could get ugly...

Wait, Bob..there seems to be some movement inside the house.. it looks like the neighbor is coming out his front door... yelling loudly..

Get off my lawn! he cries... the crowd has gone silent in anticipation....what will he do?...:eek:

the good texan doesn't move immediately, Bob.. I think we have a stand off ..

could be a good time to cross back to the studio, Bob... for a commercial break....:D

telemnemonics likes this.
  18. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2015
    Liverpool. UK.
    I haven't watched or listened to the so called news for over 6 years now
    and besides not missing it at all my blood pressure is absolutely fine.

19. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    We haven't had cable for a while now and I've not been much of a TV person for years. I get lots of news but most of it is reading text or audio. I do enjoy video segments in my newspaper apps.

I've been a news and fact junkie for a long time and agree with that chart. My habit is stay away from opinion pages and get the same topic covered by two sources. Something important in that is I still catch TV when I travel, in break rooms and when I'm a guest in a home or office. My reading the Wall St. Journal and NY Times pretty much daily and The Economist periodically gets full or detailed coverage many sources do not have. It will dawn on me that many are really getting adulterated news product or an outline at best.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.