Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to ditch cable - what to do for live news?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Does that $15/ month include your cable internet?
    Or do you get netflix without cable internet?

2. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    "News Radio" is just as bad if not worse than most television news. Tons of advertising with "news" as sound bites of "news" the broadcaster decide that you need to hear.

The worst I have heard was when one of our local traffic copters was taking off and although the NTSB claimed hydraulic failure, from what I saw sure looked like the pilot caught the hand rail around the landing pad with his landing gear skid and the copter endo-ed off of the building and straight down to the sidewalk below.

I can't prove it but I really think the public was lied to about the cause, but the worst was that it was the radio staton's "Top Story" for must of been 2 weeks or 3 weeks or more and they just went on and on and on ad nauseum during that time about their 2 departed coworkers like they were some kind of saints or something.

I almost called the station and told them they need to just get back to their regular programing. Sure the pilot Bozoed and paid for it with his life, but so what? Would you report the death of one of my coworkers for 2 or 3 weeks straight? I stop listening to that station for about a month instead.
    NPR is fantastic, I listen to it in the car. Aljazeera and BBC can be great, as well. I watch almost zero TV these days so my news is usually NPR or over the Internet were I can cross check content, sources and accuracy.

bottlenecker likes this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Out here in the middle of nowhere, the local phone company is building up their array of internet support and we don't even need the speeds that they can provide now and we only pay for about 1/4 of that speed. Of course, TDPRI, Amazon, BBC, YouTube and Netflix are about the only things we access.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2015
    Liverpool. UK.
    I totally agree with you but I only stopped watching the "news" about 5 years ago and my blood pressure is now fine.
    Not only did I stop watching the news I also stopped watching most TV programmes as most of them are pure dross.

John Nicholas likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    All the cable all the news all the time. And American pickers science fi etc etc ..

6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    I ditched cable years ago. My experience has been that on the very, very few stories that do merit paying attention to as they unfold, you can get all of the information you need on your smartphone/computer.

If you've watched 24 hour news for any length of time, I'm sure you've already noticed that when news breaks, they spend the next many hours repeatedly regurgitating the same bad/misinformation. You can usually get the same "facts as we know them" in about ten minutes of web browsing.

You'll also find your stress level lowering when you aren't constantly being blasted by bombastic predictions of how this really is the end of the (fill in the blank here).

7. JustStartingOut

JustStartingOut Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

@telemnemonics, Here's what I do and what I pay, it may not be less in the long run but I'm OK with that 'cause it's not cable. Years ago I did have the basic TV package and internet (never had phone service), I bought my own modem/wifi so there were no rental fees and the cable went right to the TV so no box or fees there. When I cancelled it I think it was around $85/month. I've always had Amazon Prime and MLB/NHL so they didn't count in my consideration/calculations at all. I also get Netflix as I said before, but not every month.

Right now I pay $65 for unlimited 100 mbps internet (my equipment, through Spectrum) in NY.
    YouTube TV - $35 (I think it's $40 now though, I was in before the price hike)

I'm paying about $15 more a month than I was and have a lot more TV stations to watch. And I can watch them anywhere, anytime on my phone, a laptop or someone else's Roku/Chromecast etc. That's not truly a consideration but I does come in handy sometimes.

So, to really answer your question, yes you do have to have an internet provider, a modem/wifi and some sort of device (Roku/Chromecast/Apple TV), those are one time expenses but have to be accounted for in the beginning anyway.

8. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Between Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and OTA HD antenna... that gives me 95% of what I want to watch. With the savings by cutting cable I'm really fine missing that 5%. As far as news... I no longer watch national big 24-hour news stations and to me that is a good thing. I'll check news.google when the bug hits me to see current news. It may not be "up to the minute" like the 24-hour news stations, but it's close enough. Otherwise I have FlipBoard on all of my e-devices dialed in to receive what I'm interested in.

9. toomuch

toomuch Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2017
    Chicago
    My current “cable-cutting” setup:

-Internet only with AT&T Fiber ($60/month 100mb down&up). Flat monthly fee includes a wireless gateway. If you have a fiber option near you (Google or AT&T), it’s definitely worth looking into as a cable or DSL internet alternative.

-RCA flat indoor HD antenna (I live 2nd floor of a multi-unit). This gets me all my local networks in HD. Worth mentioning...over-the-air delivers an uncompressed video signal (unlike cable).

-Apple TV: (1080p version that has Siri touch remote and App Store). Very pleasant visual interface. I’ll upgrade to the 4K version when I get a 4K TV (no rush). Also has a YouTube app.

-Netflix: $8/month (I think still?)

-HBO Now: (their internet only service), $15/month

-News: besides over the air, as I posted before...CBSN & Reuters app (free). HBO also has Vice News if you’re into that.

Could I find a “bundle” for cheaper?...perhaps. But I hate clunky cable boxes and their ugly interfaces, and hate bundles in general. This lets me choose only the services I actually need.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    JustStartingOut likes this.
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Holic

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    I gave up Dish last year and have not missed it. I get enough channels OTA to keep me happy and the internet fills the voids. BTW, high speed internet only cost me $5 dollars per month with my phone company.

11. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2004
    Newly Indiana
    I'd cut the cable but no one's showed me how to get my sports. Everything else fits but I need my teams!

codamedia and uriah1 like this.
  12. frankg11

frankg11 Tele-Meister

If all you want live is CBS, NBC, ABC and local news, an HD antenna can service that most likely. Check you local stations on-line and see what they offer, or just pay the $50 for an antenna and check it out.

13. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    Western Canada
    No cable, or satellite TV here. I gave it all up. Killed the fibre optic data race too. Kicked my internet/TV bill down $100 per month. Found another way to get $100 per month off the family shared cell & data plan too. Total savings $200 month! I’m happy. My wife likes Netflix or Kodi for a few programs a week without commercials.

I gave up on the news. Don Henley said it all in his song Dirty Laundry. Too much crap in this world that is sensationalized. So I get my family feed from afar via Facebook updates. News when I rarely think about it via a web site.

I get my entertainment with a guitar or a mandolin around my neck. Or tinkering on my other hobbies. Sometimes people are shocked when I have no idea about the next “big” thing. The most popular song in the world at any given time? I have no idea. I am exposed to some, but little advertising. I’m happier in life. Most times I’m doing my own thing enjoying the ignoance.

14. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    Something a lot of people don't realize that a cable box is one of the biggest electricity hogs in an average household. If you have 3 cable box the cost can be alarming.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...sts-of-your-game-of-thrones-obsession/372950/

I dumped cable TV and phone, kept Internet and so my cable goes directly into my modem and router I purchased at Best Buy, so no equipment rental fees either.

$80 a month for about 150MB down and about 6 MBs up of clean fast Internet. Comcast didn't even blink an eye when I canceled TV, Phone and returned their equipment. They keep sending me offers, so I might see if I can get a cheaper monthly rate on my Internet. I'm out of contract and I have zero intentions of ever signing another contract.

15. TwangyWhammy

TwangyWhammy Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2014
    Under the DownUnder
    My wife and I stopped watching mainstream TV news about 15 years ago now (also stopped our newspaper subscription seeing as I only seem to be reading the cartoon page, haha). My mother-in-law warned me that we would be so out-of-touch that we would not be able to function in society.

Well, I'm glad to report that we're both doing just fine. We glean whatever news we determine we should be mindful of, from various sources seeing as we would get a whiff about it anyway. Whatever items we may have missed are now old news and we never lost any sleep over it. Every now and then (if I chance upon it), I'll watch the 6 o'clock TV news... nothing much has changed. The news reports are exactly the same - just different names and places. Network news is largely a commercial product just like any other, designed for binge consumerism...

Our children were in their mid-teens when we made this decision and they seem to have adopted the same distaste of 'news programming' even though they were free to choose otherwise. Our daughter is married now with two children... they listen to music, read books to their kids, watch movies and keep abreast of domestic and international current affairs - but in their own terms. Network TV news is not part of their culture either...

scrapyardblue likes this.
  16. duzie

duzie TDPRI Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Nw New Jersey
    NPR as a neutral news stream ?
    Ha ha ha !!!
    Only if it fits your view of the world .

Georox and ravindave_3600 like this.
  17. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
  18. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Nov 29, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I kept Verizon FiOS internet and dumped the cable channels, just like many other people here. What I do that's different than the above: I subscribe to a list of carefully-curated RSS news feeds and read them via my web browser with Feedly (you can also add YouTube video feeds). The result is a lot more satisfying and smart to me than watching cable news. The "freemium" Feedly account does this just fine, so a big benefit is that it costs nothing.

https://feedly.com/

I skip CNN and Fox altogether for channels that are more content-rich and less divisive politically.

Another thing I've discovered is that you can "tune" Google News to give you a much better news view than the default settings. You can add or delete channels and categories until you're seeing the sources you want at the top of the page.

Feedly is the main thing, though. I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not having cable TV.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I like their sanity.

screefer likes this.
  20. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    We had a satellite dish at one time, although we had a subscription with a decoder.

Still I enjoyed looking for free uncoded channels that were not in the plan. Found a Slovak channel with shows only on marine themes and a channel owned by a Bulgarian neo-fascist party. Both had news, but I don't think I'd want to rely on either one of those as my only news source.

I think we could also get Chinese CCTV in English.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.