Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

About to ditch cable - what to do for live news?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm probably pretty dumb for thinking that we're capable of keeping this thread open.

I'm about to ditch cable entirely, and just put up an OTA digital antenna and see what happens. We'll still have internet of course, but I can no longer justify the cost-to-use ratio of television watching in our house.

The only caveat is live news. I'm not a news junkie, but there are a few programs on each of "the big three" American 24/7 news outlets that I like to watch here and there, and I feel the need to stay in tune if there is a national or world news event. I care absolutely zero about local news broadcasts.

I like to think I'm astute enough to be able to watch any program and pickup on the slant... and it's there with all of them of course. So that's not a big concern of mine.

Any of you guys who have ditched cable, but still catch live news here and there... where are you going for that?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    This is what I have.

Amazon firestick $40 one time buy (you need a wireless router)
    Sling TV $25 a month live TV streaming (news, sports, most cable channels)
    Netflix $10 a month (what I watch most of the time when I do)

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    I do not have cable. I never have. With a decent antenna I can still get the local affiliates no problem. If that doesn't work for you, I'm sure you can watch the national broadcasts via net. I haven't tried, but it doesn't seem tough.

I even have a couple news apps on my phone that update me on national and international news. It's really all I need.

4. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I don't watch much so I'm not a good judge. We have satellite tv but I watch NCIS and the local news.

For national news I hate to admit it but I have the BBC app on my iPad. It seems to keep me from wrinkling my brow when watching national network news, any network.

cnlbb, telemnemonics, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I don't hardly ever watch sling TV but another family member does.

6. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I haven't had cable for probably 25 years, just OTA.

I live out in the boondocks, but I still get about 15-20 semi-watchable channels (I get quite a few more, but I don't really need 3 shopping channels and a bunch of stuff in languages I don't understand)

For my news I use the internet. Most of the major network web sites keep pretty current (and you're right about recognizing the slant). I use Wundermap for weather, which is decent.

So I basically have about a half dozen web sites I go to, and in about 10 minutes I can get a pretty good news update. I would say just poke around the web and bookmark the ones you like, and then over time you'll filter that down too. Look for some of the news aggregator sites too. Most have a political slant, but you get links to lots of other sites you may not otherwise stumble across.

Cheers,
    Doug

7. brownshoe

brownshoe Tele-Afflicted

Dec 1, 2007
    Sunnyvale, CA
    If you had a roku, I'd maybe recommend the CBSN app and Pluto TV.

8. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Give this a try:
    https://www.mobdro.to/

There are guides on how to install it. A lot of the channels are legal free broadcasts, you may want to avoid the others.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I just go to the well-known news sites like *** and ***. Strictly live? You can find live feeds on YouTube, too, but some "developing story" live feeds are mostly filler as they repeat old stuff and wait for something to happen.

One nice thing about watching a recorded new show on YouTube is that you can set the speed at 1.5 times normal. That soon starts to sound natural so that when you switch to normal speed everyone seems to be talking in a drawl.

10. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I don't see a need for cable news at all; sorry I can't help. There are news outlets I follow on Youtube.

11. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

No cable TV here (100 year round residents doesn't make financial sense to build a substation and an underwater cable would be problematic), but we're within 3 major markets (Cleveland, Toledo and Detroit).

With an antenna (under the roof- Cape Cod house so can't call it an attic) I get plenty of clear HD channels.

I do have Apple TV and subscriptions to HULU and Amazon Prime, which comes in handy when I'm snowed in, and have watched all the DVD's available at the library.

Basically I get my live news from network (CBS to be exact).

TheGoodTexan and daddyplaysbass like this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Check for those news programs online. They seem to pop up on YouTube within hours of airing; that’s how I get mine these days.

Mr Green Genes and TheGoodTexan like this.

13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    I stopped reading/listening and watching news over 20 years ago on the advice of a friend who had done the same, reduced my stress level considerably. I probably find out more than I want to know on here. I have cut way back on FB since they started the news feed on the side bar. I occasionally read the arts section of a few major papers, I figured that for my entire life things have been pretty much the same for me no matter which way the wheel was spinning so why give away that time & energy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

14. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2009
    Hazel Park, MI
    Mobdro is an app that can be side-loaded on the fire tv. It pulls free live streams from all over the net. All the American news stations are included.

telemnemonics and TheGoodTexan like this.

15. daddyplaysbass

daddyplaysbass Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2003
    Chandler Arizona
    I have an antenna and able to get the legacy news channels, ABC, NBC, CBS and local news. One nice feature is that a local affiliate shows news constantly and updates as things happen. Also have 24-hour weather. Plenty of good old family friendly TV shows. "Peter Gunn", "Archie Bunker" etc and game shows I forgot about "Card Sharks". I get about 80- channels, but many are foreign language and the only foreign language I half-way understand is French.

TeleTown, rich815 and TheGoodTexan like this.

16. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2014
    Midwest
    Internet news. I've never paid for cable and I never watch tv news programming, but I'm always equally or more informed than anyone else I talk to when it comes to major news topics. Not bragging or anything dumb, just saying it's possible to be as informed as you want to be without having to listen to ANY slant, let alone try and filter it out.

Of course there's a lot of junk online masquerading as unbiased "news," so a good filter is necessary there as well. But there's just so much more available online, I don't think I could ever go back to watching nightly news programming.

John Nicholas and TheGoodTexan like this.

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    We cut our cable 9 years ago!

We kept internet. Used to be on at&t but now trying xfinity. It comes with HBO online and you can also watch local tv live through their app. We use Roku fir those.

However, I installed an attic antenna pointing towards Chicago. We're 50+ miles away so we got the appropriate antenna. We're getting 40+ channels all in high definition. Stations broadcast in digital high def nowadays. We also subscribed to Netflix. We rent a movie if there's a newer one that we want to watch.

If you have a smart TV, it should be all you need. If its not, we have a Roku that is really really cool!

Good luck! And congrats on your savings!

chris m. and TheGoodTexan like this.

18. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I've tried Sling and PSVue but YouTube TV is way better than both. So much smoother.

TheGoodTexan likes this.

19. stratclub

stratclub Tele-Meister

Mar 15, 2018
    PNW
    About a year ago we cut the cable, kept the Internet and installed an antenna on the roof for local news if we feel like watching it. Having said that, we haven't turn the imbecile box (TV) on in about 6 months and do not miss it.

If you get away from all the adds it's just amazing how stupid and insulting they are if you happen to watch one by accident. Those gas pumps with the built in screens I find to be so annoying now and will go somewhere else for my fuel.

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Right there with you.

dented and TheGoodTexan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.