About an old cat in the Bad Dog...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, May 24, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

I'll give some context momentarily, but to get straight to it, I've got a 9 year old cat that isn't doing well, but her symptomology seems at times conflicting, so I'm stumped. Yeah, I've got a vet I can take her to, but just thought I'd talk about it here, and maybe get some insights.

Symptomology. Maybe some balance issues. Starting a few days ago, she would fall off of her perch on the window sill, several times a day. Not a long drop to the floor, about 20", but still, it was something new. And I don't know if it's continued, because I set up my wooden folding table that I use for gigs in front of the window. It's just barely taller than the window sill, but it lets the cat bask in the sun without fear of falling off.

She's looking thinner, and she's never been a fat cat to begin with. And she's getting the same portions of canned cat food she's always gotten, and lately, even more.

Probably most disconcerting is traces of blood. On that window sill we found traces of blood. More than just specs, but not pools of it, either. Then after setting up the folding table for her, we found blood on that. And early this morning, she threw up, twice, before breakfast. (Her breakfast, not ours. In fact, she did so while we were eating our breakfast. Appetizing. :() And the vomit was tinted with blood.

Conflicting evidence. As to her falling/balance issues, she can scamper across the kitchen to her food bowl at feeding time, and she'll even jump up on the island in the kitchen in anticipation of our opening a can of food. So if that falling thing was balance issues, it doesn't seem to be a constant, debilitating issue.

And while she appears to be losing weight, she has as healthy an appetite as ever.

So, I'm wondering if y'all have any insights about her condition.

Context. Okay, some context of her life for these 9 years. In late May or early June of 2010, my grandchildren and their mom (our youngest daughter) rescued a tiny kitten in San Antonio. But these grandkids have a close friend that's terribly allergic, so their solution was "Let's give her to Paw Paw and Grandma, then we can watch her grow up!" So just like that, we had a third cat. (And also a dog, for that matter.) We named her Little Orphan Annie.

The thing is, May 6, 2010 was when we had a house fire, so we were living out of our garage apartment while the house was being rebuilt. And while the old cat was okay with staying in the apartment, the two kittens, both rescues, were not. So they were outdoor cats until the house was finished. Thankfully, they stuck around. It was harder getting Annie into the house. She always acted like a feral cat: scared of humans, not knowing where her next meal was coming from. But she slowly got used to being fed inside, and then staying inside. So for most of her life with us, Annie has been a strictly indoor cat. The other rescued kitten is Celeste.

Here they are in that first year, while they were outdoor kitties. Annie is the gray that looks like she waded through white paint, Celeste is the tabby/Siamese mix that Annie's resting on...
    11-11-2010 - Annie & Celeste 1.jpg

And here they are as indoor cats... Celeste & Annie - 2011.jpg

Keefsdad likes this.
  2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I saw cats go like this with kidney issues. There is an injection to lower creatine levels

One vet told me he thought it was arthritis and injected for that. It killed my cat as his weak kidneys couldn't process the medicine

3. LGOberean

Kidney issues. Bummer. I was wondering if it was worms or something.

She's a really sweet cat. She's still skittish at times, but other times she'll climb up on my torso and settle down.

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Get her to the vet ! I’m praying for you and her.

5. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

All I can tell you is that in our house, any blood = immediate vet trip. Bright blood could be anything from a mouth wound, bad tooth to stomach cancer. Our cat tends to lick up anything on the floor...and I have to be very careful I haven't left a bit of plastic (like a pick) or he'll chew it up (and hopefully pass the swallowed bits). Saw one cat with a bread-bag clip (those plastic things) stuck in the roof of its mouth.

Behavioral changes + blood = something serious going on.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I wonder if she might have eaten a mouse that had been poisoned?
    My dog ate a rat poison bate years ago and showed similar symptoms, then blood in urine before I worked out what had happened. Heavy doses of vitamin k fixed him up. I would pay a visit to the vet. 9 yrs old is very young for a cat.

7. Jimmy Owen

Jimmy Owen Tele-Holic

Kidney issues may be slowed with special foods. Is she showing signs of dehydration? Pinch a fold of skin on her forehead and see if it stays pinched or if it returns to normal. If it stays pinched, she's dehydrating.

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My oldest cat, Daisy is 14,and experiencing similar issues.
    She “goes” everywhere, and it’s, uh, loose.
    The vet said she’s OK, just old.
    She often misses her mark when jumping.
    Probiotic powder on her food is helping with the losseness, but not, uh, placement.
    Anyways, love em’ all you can, while you can.

9. LGOberean

Okay, maybe vet time. BTW, she's also good with our dog. Not the dog I mentioned earlier from the first year after the fire. That dog was our old coon hound. She had to be put down in 2010. But Annie warmed up first to Bella, our Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix puppy we introduced into the cats' lives (much to their initial consternation) two years ago. Here are Annie and Bella sunbathing together..,.
    03-16-2018 - Bella & Annie hanging out.jpg

Stubee and nojazzhere like this.
  10. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

To the vet. Immediately.
    9 is really not "old" for a cat...my cat lived an active life until he was 20, then mysteriously disappeared.

11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

The vet - and good luck.

catdaddy likes this.
  12. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, sounds like Kidney issues.
    my cat had to be put down by the vet because of that. but then she was 18 years old.

with only 9 years, maybe the vet can get your cat on the mend. sure hope so.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.