Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

able to fit p90 on a squier tele custom (humbucker) version

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by tbdcco, Jul 29, 2017.

1. tbdcco

tbdcco TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2014
    singapore
    Hi all
    Sorry if this topic have been covered.
    Planning to get a squier tele custom with x2 humbuckers.

Assuming if i get the p90 pickguard..will p90 fit into the existing routing slot?

From wat i gathered from pictures online..minor routing will need to be done on the tele customto fit p90s

Any views or confirmation?

2. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I havent seen the way the body is routed, but traditionally, a p90 will not fit in a humbucker route unless the p90 is humbucker sized.

3. tbdcco

tbdcco TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2014
    singapore
    Thanks.
    I reckon squier to cut costs will have one standard routing,in this cae..p90 as itwill then accomodate both sets of config by virtue of the pickguard..

I have seen picture of the squire hum body..the ends of the pickup area were slighty shorter as compared to the p90 .hope it made sense

4. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Australia
    The GFS Mean 90's could be the answer to your problem. I don't have them but they seem to be well regarded.

acrylicsuperman likes this.

5. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    I second that. I had a mean 90 in the neck of a squier HH strat (left the bridge a humbucker) and the mean 90 rocked in that axe.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The routing only needs a little tweak with a wood chisel to fit. The pickguard will need to be custom; wider and narrower than a humbucker.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

teletimetx and Flaneur like this.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I think they used the same body for both types of pickups, however they used a pickguard mounting system for their version of the P90s.

You'll have to add foam to mount from the bottom and drill for screws, you may need longer screws and bigger foam, don't know.

8. YOSTINATOR

YOSTINATOR Tele-Meister

Oct 28, 2016
    Utah
    Yeah man, get a humbucker sized p90

9. TeleOrLes

TeleOrLes Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Oak Creek, WI
    P-94's will fit & are about as close as you'll get for a P-90 tone without routing your guitar.

10. Lead2Fan

Lead2Fan Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    East Coast
    Forget buying a new pickguard or cutting a larger hole, just do what I did, purchase some Kent Armstrong Retrofit P-90s, they are REAL P-90s just "humbucker"-sized. The prices aren't bad and they are excellent pickups, I haven't been disappointed.

link: http://www.wdmusic.com/kent_armstrong_p90_family.html

11. Quinn23

Quinn23 TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Somerset England
    I've just put soapbar p90's in my squier body, I at first thought the rout was for a humbucker, but it easily fits a p90.
    I bought the body as a squier deluxe which usually has humbuckers. Get the guard off and look?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.