Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aaaaagghhh! Did a strap do this to my guitar?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by TigerG, Nov 24, 2017.

1. TigerG

TigerG Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Aug 14, 2015
    Nashville
    Pure as the driven snow she was, then seemingly out of nowhere these three black marks appeared along the upper edges. They're much more obvious in real life than in the picture. In all likelihood, it's dye from a black leather strap that bled into the lacquer while the strap was hanging over the bouts. Either that or unbeknownst to me the guitar did a stint in prison and got a tattoo tear for each of three other prisoners it offed. I gotta admit, it comes as no surprise to me that this thing is a killer.

Any viable strategies short of doing a lot of re-spraying for wiping out these marks? The finish is Minwax clear nitro over Duplicolor acrylic lacquer.

StrapAttack2.jpg

2. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2008
    Sedalia, MO
    Yeah, I had a black vinyl Couch strap do that to a nitro shot MJT body I have. My fault...I simply forgot to take it off. I have since moved to a very soft black leather Jeri Hart strap and have no more issues.

Certain straps react.....

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If that is indeed a stain that has leached in to the lacquer, coating over the top of it with more lacquer probably won't help - it'll bleed back through. With penetrated stains it usually takes sanding the existing finish, applying a stain-resistant, lacquer compatible primer like XIM, and then re-doing the white and clear.

Along with throwing that strap as far as you possibly can....

o_O

Do NOT use vinyl straps. Ever. Or guitar stands with brown surgical tubing for "padding, or cheap ones with black tubing or "sponge" type material. All leach "plasticizers" that are of the same type used to make coatings) pigmented and clear) flexible enough to be practical for application on wood. They react with coatings - and you see the result.

DrASATele, Piggy Stu and TigerG like this.

4. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'd be tempted to try to rub it out with some of the very finest polishing compound you can find, maybe automotive swirl remover. It should be apparent fairly quickly if the blemishes have bled deeply into the finish or not, and you can decide on your next step, if any. If it has bled deeply into the finish, you're looking at some serious paint matching, sanding-down, etc., that would, at least for me, probably end up in a complete strip n sand, and refinish. I know you said it looks worse in person, but I think I'd live with it, expensive lesson and all that. No worse than the first serious belt rash or chip from bumping into a mike stand or something, IMO. YMMV.

TigerG and t guitar floyd like this.

5. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    Agree w/R.Stratenstein. As much wear as your guitar's lower bout has where your arm goes, this will only be adding to the relic factor. :cool:

TigerG likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.