Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A weird NGD: lefty mosrite copy setup righty

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by fjrabon, Aug 4, 2017.

1. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    IMG_8522.JPG Well, I had been looking for a P90 guitar for a while. And had a range of things I'd looked at all the way from $120 ephiphone LP special to an epi wild Kat to the new fender P90 mustang to a Gibson les paul 50s tribute goldtop p90 to a sg special to a vintage es330.

Got a pretty decent quarterly bonus so I decided today was going to be the day. Went to GC with a budget up to $1200 (unless they had a vintage es330, in which case the budget could be stretched to $4000).

First, tried out a 2016 les paul tribute T in a honeyburst. It sounded okay but not mindblowing. The edges of the fretboards were razor sharp. Also, while I like the satin on black and goldtop guitars I didn't like it at all in the honeyburst. It was $200 off, but a big fat nope.

Next an epiphone wildkat. Acoustically it sounded like a cigar box guitar. Plugged in it just sounded dull, lifeless and muddy. Ultra nope. Played well and looked good, but the sound was just dead as a door nail.

Next an epiphone les paul special P90 in satin black. I dug the heck out of this guitar. The price was impossible to beat ($119). I sorta liked the flat black look. It played well. Intonation was a little off and due to the design of the bridge I couldn't dial it in just perfect without throwing something else slightly off. But I could get it very close. Pickups screamed. Those epi p90 soap bars are legit. A million times better than the epi P90s in the wildkat. I could have definitely went home with this guitar and been pretty happy. But something about a bolt neck on a les paul just sorta bothers me. Wasn't a deal breaker, but it definitely stayed as a possibility.

Then I walked by the used section and saw the mosrite. At first I payed it no mind because it was a lefty, but it kind of occurred to me that it wouldn't be the hardest conversion to a righty. It'd be funky. And it was cheap: $150

So I pulled it down. I played it upside down. Seemed a great tone but was in desperate need of a setup. I loved the wood grain of the 3 piece body. The neck was a touch wider than I'd like (I've gotten really used to my SG lately). But something about it just spoke to me.

So, I pulled the trigger.

Took her home flipped the nut without gluing it back and flipped all the saddles, then unslanted the bridge as much as possible. Set the neck relief to almost dead straight. Strung her up and then prayed as I checked the intonation. Amazingly just my eyeball intonation was almost perfect. And the little I was off was fixable. The D string is pretty much maxed out in its adjustment, but luckily that was enough.

The neck is a little wider than I'd like, but otherwise it plays like a dream.

After painstakingly adjusting the pickup height it really growls in the bridge position and howls in the neck position.

So, I'm going to give her a few weeks, and if I still dig it I'm going to get clockwise rotating pots and some lower profile knobs. Also considering moving the knobs. I'll probably get a right handed nut in the next couple of days, although the flipped lefty nut isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Annoying thing is that it won't fit in any of my cases. I have 2 extra gig bags but they're both too short because the headstock is so stupidly long. Also need to order a jazzmaster trem arm.

But she's just got a vibe and funkiness to her that I really dig. And satisfies my P90 itch until I can find the right goldtop and/or es330.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Definitely weird. I love the look. I'd just be worried about my picking hand hitting the knobs.

fjrabon likes this.

3. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I used to have a lefty strat and it wasn't too bad and is kind of fun for volume swells. But definitely need something more low profile than these Gibson top hat style knobs.

4. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Also I'm considering removing the tone knob completely, going to a mud switch with a very mild treble roll off and putting the volume knob up by the pickup selector.

5. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Since when did Jimi H ever play a Mosrite™ (wink,wink)?

fjrabon likes this.

6. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

7. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Well, I wanted to like it, but I took it back last night. The neck was just too wide for me to really bond with and it was heavier than I would put up with long term. Also, the neck joint didn't feel super stable to me, it was probably fine but felt off.

8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas

Yes they are...I had a flat yellow version of that guitar...those were GREAT pickups. I loved the sound and the looks (the bolt-on neck didn't bother me), but...

The narrow neck and the fact that replacing the tuners was going to cost 60-70% of the cost of the guitar, so I traded it in toward another guitar I would suggest to you:

Fender Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe.
    Two P-90s. Thinline. 22 frets. Plays great, fairly reasonable price. I really love mine...

JMHO.

9. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the rec. I ended up getting a P90 Gibson LP goldtop. But I also have the epi special as a knock around guitar.

10. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Anything that Mosrite-ish is very cool. Nice!

11. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    [​IMG]
    You sure are in good company playing Mosrite models upside down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.