Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A walnut/fir Tele and mahogany/maple Wolfgang

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Nov 19, 2014.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    ....As usual, this will be a very slow build.....

Back in summer, after I finished the “4th of July Caster” and my prior Les Paul style build thread, I decided to finally become a good TDPRI citizen and to finally build a Telecaster.

I got 2 cutoffs /shorts of nicely grained fir which were one board initially. Supposedly the fir was old and kiln dried - we’ll see about that .... Impressed by the grain and the “tap tone” this became the body. The planks are only 5.5 inch wide, but long enough to get me some extra wings for the lower bout. For pickups I’ll be using 2 Seymour Duncan that I got from my wife 2 years ago for my birthday – meaning I am way past due to put them to work.

Here the 2 boards with the rough outline placed. Boards are not joint yet.
    [​IMG]

The nice looking end grain.
    [​IMG]

Lower half after an encounter with a Grizzly.
    [​IMG]

and a quick dress rehearsal to check that the wings are really big enough and the end grain is halfway matched, before joining the boards.
    [​IMG]

The body at this point is only 1.5 inch thick and will get a top.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  2. Newbie Brad

Newbie Brad Tele-Meister

Oct 15, 2014
    Nashville
    Jeezy I love that wood. Looking great so far!

3. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    If you had waited much longer to use the pickups they could have been considered vintage.:)

4. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks Brad. I picked it because I liked the straight and relative tight grain.

Thanks OldRebel. Waiting any longer could also undermine the reasoning for other urgently needed items.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  5. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    One more picture of the grain from the front.

[​IMG]

On the upper half I also did the rough cut halfway close to the line so that the left over piece is long enough to provide for the missing piece of the lower bout. I made sure the little wings that go on the lower bout have the same growth direction and same grain orientation.

[​IMG]

6. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Not sure why, but for the first time I didn't cave in too much towards my Clampzilla-OCD. 5 bar clamps for a body seemed OK. That day if was very humid in the garage -> after wiping off the excess glue it enjoined drying time in the A/C climate in the house.

[​IMG]

7. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Here starts the part where I decided it will be a slow build. After a week in the summer heat, the body started to show dark spots which seems to be some sapping. It doesn't seem the wood is as old as it was told to be. On the other side I cannot wait 40 more years for all the sap to crystalize. Have to come up with something...

[​IMG]

8. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Initially I had planned a flamed maple top for the tele but by accident I stumbled on a piece of figured walnut. It was a bit warped and I wasn't sure if it could be used for more than headstock over lays down the road. After cleanup with the router sled it looked like this. [​IMG]

After re-sawing it looked much more promising especially after overlaying the plan, to cover what gets cut off.

[​IMG]

9. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Oh yeah. That looks good.

10. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

That walnut top is very classy.

11. mrz80

mrz80 Tele-Meister

May 1, 2007
    Gainesville,FL
    You had me at "walnut". That's gonna be magnificent!

12. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I hope you're not putting a guard on that.

13. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    That is beautiful. And just think, that's the kind of wood most carpenters throw out!

14. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    Kind of looks like the eye of a storm from above. I love walnut.

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks Nick and Elias!

Thanks, I keep collecting more of it. Already scored a 2nd board - this will not be the last.

Maybe a Stratocaster pick guard, with the USA flag like on my 4th of July Caster :lol: ahh nooooo. All this will get is a chrome plate for the switch and pots. Less is more. Perhaps a chrome pickup ring for the neck pup if the wood fuzzes out where the branch was.

I invite every carpenter to throw this out - the more the merrier :lol:

In the center of the storm is the branch's center where the grain is almost 45 degree, I hope it behaves well when joining the board and routing the pickup cavity.

;)

16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    I'm with Elias, in fact, "Oh, Yeah" is also exactly what I said when I saw your mock-up shot. Gonna be a beauty, Helmut.

17. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is going to be fantastic!!

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Thanks OldRebel and Rick.

After cleaning up the re-saw blade marks and burn on the router sled and scraper, this is how it looks.

I like the black line in the center which is obviously a gap from the un-joined wood and wonder if I should make a clean book-match joint or put in a thin black or flamed maple stripe for contrast. The neck will be my usual 5 piece laminate this time out of walnut and maple, so a maple accent on the top might come in handy.

[​IMG]

19. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Cleaned up, it looks even more so to me. Got a "Stormycaster" build goin here. Serious storm surge headin for the neck pup!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.