Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A true replica of a " slab board " fingerboard for a 1959-60 Tele who makes one??

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rjtwangs, Jun 22, 2017.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Tele-Afflicted

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    That's a good-looking neck. What is the back profile? And the radius?

2. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    It has a 9.5 radius...as far as the profile, Dominick asked that I do a tracing of my right hand, so he could see the size of both my hand and fingers...so I'm not exactly sure how to answer this....perhaps he will offer an explanation....Krunchie where are you???

RJ

El Tele Lobo likes this.

3. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Nice. I'm guessing then it's probably on what most people would consider the bigger side. Most production necks I think, are too small for most people even those with small hands, at least in terms of depth. I play a lot of jazz and it's hard to fret those big jazz chords and Barre chords for me on thinner necks. If I play like a tro fat, which is an inch deep all the way down and has big shoulders, I can seemingly play for hours without fatigue. Maybe take some measurements if you have a tool or measuring device to do so. I'd be interested to know not only the front to back depth at the 1st and 12th frets, but the nut width. I find 1-5/8" production necks to be too narrow at the nut as well.

At any rate, it looks pretty substantial from the pictures. I can't wait to see the finished product.

If you don't mind my asking, in a general sense, how did his pricing compared to other neck manufacturers? I would presume since his stuff is all handmade his prices would be higher, but that isn't always the case.

rjtwangs likes this.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Most builders make intentional changes, pre-cbs guitars make fakes which can find their way to market as the real thing depending on how shady the buyer is.

You can get a musikraft with a '59 style truss nut, clay dots, braz board, etc. Then, if you want the contour, which is just a matter of how they take down the wood, file and sand it...'boom, then change the nut and it's a '59.

Only problem is it will say "musikraft" on the heel and not have the fine pointless markings like "pre-cbs" guitars...which some folks don't like for various reasons, mostly being, again, scammers.

One could also refin/re-dot an MIJ.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

5. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Just in again, wow they just keep on coming....

nut.jpg headstockwramp.jpg backofheadstock1.jpg topofheadstock1.jpg

Well it looks great so far, you can see the measurement at the nut in this first photo.....and look at that lovely ramp on the headstock....beautiful work....my hands are getting itchy....

RJ

6. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    This is the easiest way to make a neck and allows the use of 4/4 maple... "one piece" necks are a lot more work and you have to start with 5/4 or 6/4 maple. Aside from specific dot material (clay, ivorid or shell), what kind of fretboard and I prefer heel adjust truss rods anyway. I make most of mine as "slab board" and have even done maple slab on maple.

birdseye / rosewood / green paua
    20140425_115727.jpg

flame / wenge / white pearl
    17634550_10155042753309651_227806912898949309_n.jpg

maple slab on maple
    IMG_1379.JPG

7. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida

8. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Nice flame....it's coming along quite nicely....and as for the insult that he is building " fakes " fake what?? Such ridiculous and irresponsible statements....

headstockflame.jpg
    flameyneck.jpg
    finalcoatneck.jpg

Well that's the final spray on my neck, and now another 10 days to cure....you can see some other examples of Dominick's wonderful work....

RJ

9. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

It's one thing to build replica's and I have no qualms about that.

It's a whole other ball game to do things like put in "vintage correct" dowel holes UNDER the tuners...did you look at your own photos? When the guitar is one step away from being walked into the vintage dealer as the real thing, which I'm not accusing you of personally, that's worrisome to some folks. I'm not too worried, but like it or not that's what a "fake" is...a guitar 100% attempting to conform in even the most trivial details to the original. Obviously you've made some changes and kudos to you for that! I trust anyone who posts their guitars online for the rest of us to see, it's the one's we don't see that become a problem.

Plenty of respected fellas in the vintage world are aware of this and some decent people have been ripped off by 99% correct fakes with dubious histories that are most certainly built by an expert.

rjtwangs likes this.

10. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    People have been making " fakes " as long as I can remember.....I remember when some of the Tom Murphy Les Pauls were floating around the vintage guitar shows.... I even tore a strat apart with George Gruhn at a show, but some see that obsessive attention to detail as art....are the guitars Nacho Banos makes any more " fake "? My definition of the term " fake " is when it is a DELIBERATE attempt to defraud or rip someone off....I've been attending this rodeo for the better part of 40 years....and have been ripped off myself.....so I do not take terms like " fake " or " scammers " lightly, they have definite connotations....I like neither....there are plenty of people, and I bet there are more than a few of them on this forum that are only too happy to have their partscasters completed by putting Fender decals on their headstocks.....does that make them scammers of fake Fenders...? I just think we should be careful when throwing around derogatory comments like those mentioned, people get angry, then they get pissed off and then they get sued or arrested....I've seen it go both ways.....

RJ

El Tele Lobo and deytookerjaabs like this.

11. deytookerjaabs

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Sorry if my use of the terms comes off so overbearingly, let's put it this way, if I'm the owner or builder of a "fake," or a guitar that's 99% there and something bad happens financially? Don't know, as I haven't been on that fence, but that angel on one shoulder will be having a serious conversation with that fella on the other shoulder putting me real close to "scammer" territory. Nacho's guitars have tell tale changes iirc, so do Gil's etc, partscasters from the big boys should have a giant burn stamp with the neck off, so those aren't as worrisome. But, some of the stuff out there, with "pre-cbs" included, really leaves the owner as the main bearer of honesty, and in the world of rock'n'roll guitar lovers I'm sure you know as well as I a few of the fruits reside on the lowest branches.

rjtwangs likes this.

12. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I don't consider it an attempted fake unless they use a Fender decal or logo on the headstock as an attempt to represent it as bonafide. I realize the headstock shape is trademarked but I draw the counterfeit line at the decal.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    telemnemonics likes this.

13. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    ^^This^^

14. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2003
    Santa Clara
    For a second, I thought I had stumbled onto the wrong website. This is TDPRI and not alt.nerd.obsessive, right? ;)

15. El Tele Lobo

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    I'm pretty sure alt.nerd.obsessive/tele is a backdoor portal into tdpri...

16. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    P9210015.JPG Done! And on it's way!!

P9210016.JPG

RJ

17. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Looks really sweet, loving that dark rich chestnutty board. I can't stand light and reddish rosewood boards. And the Pau Ferro stuff can take a leap from what I've seen of it (though I understand it takes stain and oils well, which it would have to to please me). I'm so glad I've got all the rosewood board guitars I could ever want.

rjtwangs likes this.

18. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I agree! That board is really beautiful, I was given a choice of 4 blanks of Brazilian rosewood and that's the one I picked...can't wait to get my guitar back in action....

RJ

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I'm glad you're happy with your neck and you got the detail and finish you were after

That's my issue, even when the guitar still isn't really close to fender spec I still have my issues with them. Top and bottom of it if you want a guitar that says Fender on the headstock pay for it, Fender earnt their good name so why should anyone be able to slap a fender decal on their guitar while making no contribution to them? And even if you're not ripping others off by selling a guitar with a fake decal you're still deceiving those who look at it. If you can't afford it then that's tough but you don't need to get a fender to have a good guitar and if it's a partscaster be proud, If you have truly interesting partscaster that's a better conversation piece than an off the shelf fender.

20. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    The headstock of my 59' before the accident
    decal orig  59_tele-custom_10.jpg
    The new one from Dominick
    P9240018.JPG
    P9240017.JPG
    Tuning machines from my original 59'

RJ

Asmith likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.