Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A true replica of a " slab board " fingerboard for a 1959-60 Tele who makes one??

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by rjtwangs, Jun 22, 2017.

1. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    I'm having a tele made, a 1959/60 Custom Telecaster, but finding someone that makes a true slab board neck is becoming very difficult. No one, not Warmoth, WD, AllParts, Musikraft....nobody?? Some don't even have clay dots to use?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I check ebay every day....nothing...I may go with a foreign builder called pre cbs guitars....it's an English fellow living in Spain....but nobody here in the USA can make a tru replica of a 1959-60 slab board neck??? WHY???

here's the link to pre cbs guitars....

http://precbsguitars.com/Home_Page.php

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

RJ

2. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Musikraft won't do it? I find that surprising.

3. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    Allparts makes a slab board tele neck in a 7 1/4" radius with vintage frets. They do a tinted nitro finish option too. Is the lack of clay dots the problem? You could probably get a tech to swap dots.

I think Lashing guitars out of Windsor Ontario will make a slab neck for you as well.

MickM likes this.

4. steve v

steve v Tele-Holic

Jun 18, 2009
    Eagle Mills, NY
    My Musikraft neck is pretty "slabby."

Here's a pick from their site, 2 piece Tele neck

[​IMG]

5. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

USACG offerings seem to fit the bill, but then again, I prefer more of a veneer fretboard.

6. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Musikraft does offer clay dots....but where they all fail....is they DO NOT get the strip of rosewood, where the rosewood meets the maple of the headstock....some call it the ramp....where it's fat and slightly curved....none of the big suppliers of necks make it correctly. The necks available from all of the above makers say they do vintage, BUT they do NOT do slab boards correctly....they all look like the laminates of 63 and on.....it's all about the strip of rosewood on the tuning side of the nut( see the photo )....and if you want the correct replacement they DON'T make one...

RJ DSC_0004.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    kidmo likes this.

7. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age: 54) Toronto
    Oh, I see what you mean.
    Doesn't the Fender custom shop slab board re-issues and the old 62 avri necks have that slight curve at the nut end?

rjtwangs likes this.

8. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Yes, the Fender Custom shop DOES make it and the AVRI's called 1960's will have it....but if you look at Nash guitars for example....he is making T63 and S63's while they are rosewood boards, they are NOT slab boards....they are the laminates....I couldn't find a Nash T60....

RJ

9. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    another great shot of a slab board tele...please note the wide and curved strip of rosewood....this is what the current makers of Fender fingerboards do NOT make!! Why the hell not??? 3-1960Telecaster-sn51842-3895.jpg

kidmo likes this.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    It is not hard to do... I make my own that way because it is the easy way for me and I prefer heel adjust.
    Anyone that can make a neck should have no problem doing this.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

11. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    What is going on here? Am I missing something?
    Wouldn't a classic player 60s baja neck suit all your needs?
    [​IMG]

MilwMark likes this.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I am so lost right now.

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Sorry just realised about the clay markers, although you could remove and replace them. I've looked into clay markers before, researching for a guitar I'm planning to build (*spoiler* the build thread should be making a small amount of progress soon if the mods don't lock it for being a revived zombie thread :p). Anyway, someone on the interwebs claimed Fender used a clay paste and it would just be pushed into the dot marker hole where it would dry out (quick and cheap that way, the fender way). The clay was supposedly white when new and turned brown/yellow due to absorbing of the oils in the rosewood fretboard. The story sounds feasible and easily replicable if you can find a good substitute for whatever clay was used on Fenders back in the 1960s or you could just buy premade clay markers that will drop into the marker hole where it can be sanded flush with the fretboard.

14. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    There was a guy on here a while back that made his own clay dots using Sculpey modeling clay by drilling the proper size holes in a piece of metal, mixing the clay to the desired color and baking the clay dots in the oven to set the clay.

15. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    Preeb- AKA Gil Yaron.

16. Mike Simpson

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)

17. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Game: Guess the Fender-made "slab" necks (taken from my own guitar pics)

slab 1:
    slab 1.JPG

Slab 2:
    Slab 3.JPG

Slab 3:
    Slab 4.JPG

Slab 4:
    slab 2.JPG

Slab 5
    slab 9.JPG

Attached Files:

18. rjtwangs

Jan 18, 2010
    Reston, Virginia
    Great photo's guys.....I really hope that the good folks at Musikraft, Warmoth, USAC, Allparts and any others realize that there is a market for doing their necks in the correct manner, for ALL era's at Fender. If it's as easy as it seems to be.....WHY won't the major makers do it the right way?? I don't get it, what am I missing....?? And why are necks more expensive than the bodies???

RJ

19. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK

Answers:

slab 1 = Fender Classic Player '60s MIM, 2010
    slab 2 = Fender '62 Custom, MIJ, 2015
    slab 3 = Fender '62 Custom, MIJ, 1985
    slab 4 = Fender '60s Baja Classic Player, MIM, 2015
    slab 5 = Fender '60s style replacement neck, MIM, 2016

20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

No, not really. It's not cost effective, and they aren't in the market for helping people copy Fender necks. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.