Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

A Trio of Tasty Teles.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tone volume, Jan 15, 2013.

1. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    I've been busy. I ended up with a free tele body from Musikraft, that they sent by mistake & fancied trying a 2 tone 'burst, however I decided that the grain wasn't suitable, so I ordered an alder body here in the UK, but the join (2 piece) was too visible for a sunburst. I complained & they did me another & let me keep the first one, so I had 3 tele bodies, what's a man to do? build 3 teles, that's what. Here's the ash Musikraft body;[​IMG]

2. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    As is my wont, I'm going to relic them. Now I know relicing isn't for everyone so you will just have to bear with me. I'm always trawling ebay for bargains & I picked up a WD maple neck, however, when it arrived it was that awful luminous orange colour. So, out with the stripper & I'll refinish it myself.[​IMG]

3. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    A rub down with mellow pine wood stain & it's looking better already.[​IMG]

6. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    A spray over with clear gloss nitro & here's what we have;[​IMG]

7. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    A '59 esquire custom passed through my hands & I loved the double bound look & fancied having a go. Here it is;[​IMG]It's actually a 3 colour 'burst but the red has faded to almost nothing & I prefer that look.

8. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    I know reproducing a convincing 2 tone 'burst isn't easy so I checked out Clive Brown, the best guy here in the UK. Now I'm sure Clive would do a terrific job & I'm not a cheapskate (Clive isn't cheap) but a 4 month waiting list, yikes Hmmm, could I do it myself? I did a bit of research, which scared me even more, then I thought bugger it, in for a penny as they say, so a phone call to Steve at Manchester Guitar Tech for some advice, then I ordered some tobacco brown & some water based amber stain. After thinking long & hard about the other 2 bodies I added some surf green & some gold.

9. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    Let's get to grips with this binding. I ordered a router bit & some white plastic binding from Stewmac & got stuck in. Here's the router table mounted;[​IMG]

10. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
  11. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
  12. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
  13. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    This is what we're left with;[​IMG]

14. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    The body I ordered from Guitarbuild, I asked for it without the radius rout as I'd be routing it myself, "yes, no problem, that will be only £15 more" er, don't you mean £15 less, as it's less work? I asked. Actually, no, as they have to re-programme the CNC router. Arrggghhh.

15. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    I talked over installing the binding with Bill Puplett, tech to the stars & a good friend. Bill gave me some useful advice, not least scraping the inner corner of the binding so the glue has somewhere to go. I started with the toughest bit around the cutaway. I used a heat gun to soften the plastic binding;[​IMG]

16. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    I used superglue gel.[​IMG]

17. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    Same deal on the front. A little tip, do the back first to get the hang of it before you do the more visible front.[​IMG]

18. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    The neck pocket is tricky, I used a sharp modelling knife to trim it.[​IMG]

19. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    This hacks me off, I was squeezing like a mad thing to get the glue out of this thing. So when I'd finished, I took it apart to see what's going on inside. It's just a bloody tube inside all this plastic crap. Just sell us the tube. Do you think we're too stupid to use a god-damned tube.[​IMG]

20. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    OK, that times three & time for grain filling. I used rustins neutral tint, thinned down with white spirit to a creamy consistency & applied it with an old credit card (bloody Santander, I'm glad I'm not with them anymore)[​IMG]

21. tone volume

tone volume Tele-Holic

Dec 1, 2012
    London UK
    Scrape the excess off while it's still tacky & leave overnight to dry.[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.