Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Tele made specifically to be smashed

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blazer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Well Two Tone was the name of the record label that they were all on, though Madness moved to Stiff after their first single on Two Tone. Funnily enough I was watching a TV programme about Stiff last night. I only ever saw The Specials as a support band, they supported Dave Edmunds band, Rockpile, @ Hammersmith Palais just as Gangsters was released as a single. So the audience there was a Rockpile audience, & they didn't really fit into any particular category.

I only saw The Selector as support for Ian Dury & The Blockheads, but the Blockheads had a fair bit of the support from the Two Tone crowd - the guys & girls who dressed like the bands - pork pie hats, shades, dark suits etc. I saw them as spin-offs from the mods, but it probably wasn't that straightforward. You would get skinheads & mods at the ska gigs in London as well as the pork pie hat bunch. And the cool DJs played Prince Buster records between the bands. :D Apart from that one Madness gig I recall very little trouble - most of us were there to get off on the music - the hard core skins, mods etc were outnumbered by "ordinary people" & we all just got on with enjoying the gig.

Happy days, I always wanted to be in a ska band, but never managed it.

The Fine Young Cannibals were a spin-off from The Beat, IIRC. David Steel on bass, Andy Cox on guitar I think. Good band, I never saw them live though.

I'm getting all nostalgic now.....

2. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    I got to meet Ian Dury when I lived in London in '87. I saw the FYC a couple of times in Philly. I remember, now, that they were a spin-off of the Beat. The (English) Beat was my favorite band in the early '80s. Living in the artsy/bohemian neighborhood (The Fan) in Richmond, VA while in art school at VCU. Talk about nostalgia... Those were the proverbial Halcyon days when everything seemed right and made sense. Beer was cheap, no shortage of girls and no one ever thought or worried about tomorrow.

RD

3. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    vb
    to answer the question: Schecter PT Tele

4. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    True, but we knew that Thatcher was evil - and The Beat voiced that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urLRoVUzg3Q

The Beat were a bit harder to pigeon-hole than the other ska bands - it's like they were "poppier", if that makes sense? I loved the old Jamaican dude, Saxa. I believe he played with Prince Buster in his earlier days.

There is a new version of The Beat gigging around the UK. Rankin' Roger & his son handle vocals, & I think the drummer is the only other original member. I wasn't blown away when I saw them last year...

5. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    Looking back there's no doubt my friends and I all sort of buried our heads in the sand back then. I guess we were basically a bunch of fortunate kids from the suburbs who took it all for granted. We were aware of how things were changing for the worse (the whole "BMW before you're 25" thing was starting to spread), but chose to block it out and put all our energy into music, beer and girls. So, yeah, those days weren't exactly grounded in reality. But, we didn't care (about anything).

RD

6. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Maybe your lot drank even more than my lot did? :lol:

Where in London were you?

7. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    It's funny The Beat weren't the only ska band who had a pop spin off. Because the Specials had a spin off in Fun Boy Three.

Although it has to be said that both FYC and Fun Boy Three stuck fairly true to their ska roots.

FYC - Johnny Come home. The groove of this song is so ska and I love Gift's vocals.

Fun Boy Three - Gangsters. I love this artsy twist they gave this Specials classic

8. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Oh I nearly forgot, here's some footage of Terry Hall slipping. Watch closely when the name of the song goes by, he turn around and smiles.

All hail to Terry Hall, he's such a ray of sunshine.

9. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

Smash hits I gather.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't really like The Specials when I saw them. The Two Tone thing hadn't really taken off yet, I was a hard core rock n' roll fan & I'd never really heard ska before. I was young & I had no idea what to make of it at all. I soon changed my mind though.

Rockpile picked some great support acts. I think the next tour was when they brought The Fabulous Thunderbirds to England for the first time. I didn't know what to make of them the first time either. :lol: That changed even sooner than it did with ska though. ;)

11. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    Well, we definitely put the stuff away. Several of the local clubs would have $2 pitcher nights with a $5 band cover at the door. You could see three or four local bands if you lasted long enough.

My girlfriend and I rented a flat near Lancaster Gate from some wealthy Irish couple that used it for shopping trips a few times a year, later we moved to a place between what they called "Kangaroo Court" and Kensington High St. hard to believe it's been 23 years.

While we're on early '80s British music, who could forget the late, great James Honeyman Scott, especially with a Tele!

RD

Attached Files:

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    Simonon's bass as it err... survives today. No, it doesn't. It's documented, he had two identical basses, was p****d off with the gig and smashed one, the wrong one, i.e.e, the best sounding one.

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    necropost.png.4ab6384147447cb835286e789453098c.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.