Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Tele made specifically to be smashed

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blazer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Indeed they might and I thought that an Affinity owner might have been offended by my post. However I have personally recommended that guitar to a work colleague to buy for her son. A year or so later and he gave up playing as kids do.
    They had a good looking CV on the wall in that store. Maybe a little above the budget of some but maybe a good buy now in comparison.

2. David Collins

David Collins Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2009
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Man, I should have patented the idea - I was selling smash-able guitars 20 years ago.

I had built my first several guitars in high school, and had already collected a large number of junkers that were disassembled and stripped for parts. To clean out the crud from the shop, I took a number of various bodies to the radial arm saw and cut strategic kerfs along the back to help them shatter in a glorious shower of chunks and chips when smashed. Then I bolted on some necks and enough hardware to make them look sort of functional from the front, and sold them as stage props for kids to use in the "Mock Rock" they held at the school.

I can see their use as Hollywood stage props, and it was fun to do with old junkers that were otherwise worthless (bon fires are a good stress relief for disposing of these too), but didn't expect to see a full commercial venture to sell newly made smash-able guitars to the general public.

Looks like I missed out on lucrative licensing deal... :rolleyes:

3. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    We can live in hope, surely?

:lol:

4. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2009
    West Midlands. UK
    I'm not offended, mine was a bargain and it fed my GAS. I doubt I'd have bought a new one.

Like you say, kids give up playing, for all sorts of reasons. That's why I'd be shy of spending more than a couple of hundred pounds on a nipper's first guitar. If he's still playing next year, then it may be time to think about that MIM or Epi ;)

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

Sep 25, 2008
    Berwyn, IL
    I would be happy to do it for them!

6. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

I don't know why you all care so much? Its not as if they're smashing YOUR guitars, is it?

You're acting like they're smashing the Mona Lisa or something.

7. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The Jam were not a Mod group, they were too late for Mods, well into 70s punk era by then, neo-Mod maybe whatever, the haircuts were those skinhead girls had. Nah - Mods and Rockers were early to mid 60s and having knife-fights with motor-bike chains on Brighton prom was more like it. Not me, not my thing and too young besides.

Cars are a lot bigger now. I remember righting an overturned Mini one night and four of us picking it up and carrying off the road. No-one hurt, the car had lost a tyre on a bend and bounced off the scenery.

8. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    They certainly were a mod band, I saw them a few times & they had a strong mod following. The original mods may have been in the 60s but there was a big revival based around bands like The Jam, Secret Affair, The Purple Hearts etc. A few of my mates were mods which is one reason I ended up seeing so many of the mod bands of the time.

Madness were originally known as a mod band up to the time that One Step Beyond hit the charts. I'll never forget the gig at The Electric Ballroom in Camden (1980?) when a huge crowd of skinheads chased a lot of the mods out - Madness were better known as a skinhead band after that, the mods tended to stay away from their gigs. And their support bands changed from bands like The Purple Hearts to bands like Bad Manners.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Who gives a %*&! if they smash the Mona Lisa? Miserable old %*&!

10. mattdean4130

mattdean4130 Tele-Afflicted

Well, i couldn't really care either, but - the Mona Lisa is a hell of a lot more irreplaceable than a mass produced electric guitar. I know that much.

11. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Is it? It hasn't produced a decent tune for decades....

12. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 5, 2008
    Tulsa
    [QUOTE=stratman323;2460296]The Who were sterotypically rock n' roll I guess - almost a real life Spinal Tap. Look at how John Entwhistle died - from a heart attack, in bed with a prostitute & off his face on coke. :eek:

I'm not saying that's good - but it's definitely rock n' roll! :
    wink:[/QUOTE]

"love The Who but ....there's "a line" just like Chris Rock said "that you do not cross."

...or inhale!

13. Nogbad

Nogbad Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2007
    Washington UK
    The first time I saw someone smash up a guitar ( Ritchie Blackmoore) i nearly cried! I was saving up for my first Strat and I was really upset and annoyed. And yes it was a real Fender.

14. maajka

maajka TDPRI Member

May 20, 2008
    Michigan
    Those peace and love preaching hippies stopped that war you moron.

15. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    Do we really want to hijack this thread with a 40 year old political debate and a bunch of back and forth insults? Yeah, his description of hippies was incendiary, and yeah, your evaluation of his intelligence lands you right down on his level. Let it go, let's talk guitars.

16. Memphisbound

Memphisbound Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2009
    Nashville
    >>Smashing guitars doesn't bother me as much as commercial appropriation. A few years back I saw a TV ad for some investment or brokerage firm. They were showing some guy going through an apparent mid-life crisis in a vintage race car (his unfulfilled childhood dream, I guess) with an early, acerbic Dylan song playing in the background. I remember thinking, how in the world can things get so turned upside-down?<<

Smashing guitars is a commercial appropriation. I'd say that nearly every guitar smashed after the first one was a mere attempt to get in on it. Now an entire guitar produced just to smash? Takes the vibe away completely. How 'bout something original or at the very least from your heart?
    Reminds me of cruising around Tokyo watching people drive around with surfboards strapped to the top of their cars so the could look like cool surfer-dudes/chicks. Hollow.

17. Memphisbound

Memphisbound Tele-Meister

Sep 2, 2009
    Nashville
    >>Those peace and love preaching hippies stopped that war you moron.<<
    Tsk, tsk. Name calling negates any point you're trying to make. And your premise is debateable.

18. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    The Beatles and a few other groups brought Mod (and Rocker) style back with them from Germany. The Who were a Mod band, so, strangely, were Status Quo, frilly shirts and all. The second wave of Mods seemed to emerge from the first wave of Skinheads, it was far more working class that the arty and wannabe first wave: The Slade were a Skinhead band, but Skinheads were also into reggae/ska etc (the second wave of skinheads were a bunch of thugs). Nothing wrong with the music but the two Mod cultures were quite different. Paul Weller is slightly younger than me...

19. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    All true. The way I saw it was that the less-than-committed punks tended to break off & become mods or skinheads, but maybe that was just what happened in my part of London at that time. I loved the music but aspects of the "culture" confused me.

I remember seeing Madness at the Lyceum (1980?), and the second support act was Desmond Dekker, who was Jamaican. I saw a skinhead lad a few years younger than me (late teens?) cheering Mr. Dekker very enthusiastically. Then I noticed he was wearing a National Front T-shirt (they were the racist party at the time). I remember thinking that he was being rather hypocritical! I don't approve of racism one little bit, but surely racists can at least be consistent......:confused:

20. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    There were British groups in the late '70s/early '80s that we, here in the US, referred to as "Salt & Pepper" or "Two Tone" bands like The Specials AKA, The (English) Beat, and Fine Young Cannibals, etc. Where did they fit into the Mod vs Skinhead scene in Britain? I always thought they grew out of the Ska movement. Who went to their shows? Mods or Skinheads? BTW, I always loved Andy Cox's rhythm playing.

Thanks,
    RD

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.