Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Tele made specifically to be smashed

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blazer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. floatingscene

floatingscene NEW MEMBER!

Apr 20, 2010
    xijing
    The action of smashing the guitar on stage had become a part of his art no matter how it comes from, some habitual actions of famous person will become the symbol of the person, it often be re-actd when some one want to imitate the famous person.

2. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Look a litte closer, the white tele body has the neckpocket broken out, that's not repairable.

3. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Bet theres someone doing the TDPRI $210 Guitar Build that could take that repair on as a challenge!!

Clever bit of morticing a new piece in there, could still be rescue-able.

Ironically on this body, it has been subjected to so much force as to wreck the neck pocket, yet the ashtray cover is still in place. Either that or someone has gone to the trouble of finding it after the event and replacing it on a knackered body!!

4. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Pete Townsend's first 'smash' was a bad accident on a cherished guitar that must have really pissed him off. Then it became a signature act of destruction that was part of the act. I would guess the band factored this into the fees.

Smashing stuff up is fun but probably best done cheaply with crappy instruments or easily fixed or replaced gear. Maybe the Squier custom vibe stuff is a good candidate.[j/k]

I couldn't glean much from that companies website. Designed to be smashed? How much are they asking for their guitars? Do they easily fall to pieces and then go back together to look relatively unharmed again?

5. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I personally saw Jimi Hendrix smash two Mustangs, both sunbursts at two different performences. I got the feeling he was not really into it the second time. I couldn't tell the first time, I was too young and scared!

Gary

6. LOTF

LOTF Tele-Meister

Mar 25, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    If I smashed guitars, I'd smash Deans, particularly those pointy "Dimebag" thingies. Some of them are sort of pricey (for junk, anyway) but it'd be worth the satisfaction every once in awhile. Maybe I'd use one of my Teles to smash the Deans!

7. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I've smashed a couple of guitars over the years. Nothing I'm proud of. It was outta' pure rage.

Couldn't afford to do it regularly, and besides, doing something that people expect is not very rebellious, is it? Wanna' be a rebel? Then do the opposite of what folks expect.

ricknbaker likes this.

8. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    Do tell.. was it the lead singer or a woman that led you to do it? :p

9. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Which one? The Incredible Hulk! :eek:

I've heard of tipping cows......but cars?

[​IMG]

10. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    The Who were sterotypically rock n' roll I guess - almost a real life Spinal Tap. Look at how John Entwhistle died - from a heart attack, in bed with a prostitute & off his face on coke. :eek:

I'm not saying that's good - but it's definitely rock n' roll! ;)

11. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    I think Townsend did mention Gustav Metzger in an interview. There's definitely a thread running through Auto-Destructive art (Jean Tinguely, Metzger, et. al.), Warhol, the Mod's embrace of Pop art, and a general disdain for mass-produced consumer goods, guitars included. Townsend's guitar smashing may have been perceived by fans as rebellious showmanship, but, nontheless, he was aware of it's reference to the art world.

RD

12. brokenjoe

brokenjoe Friend of Leo's

Mar 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Neither -the first time. It was the drummer of all people. Too long on the road; too long cooped up in a van, and the drummer decided he was going to spice things up a bit by changing tempos! :lol:

It was a strat. Not easy to do!

The next time it was because of the venue/management. Long story which I don't care to reminisce about!

'56 Les Paul Jr. It still hangs on the wall in pieces in the kitchen of a pal of mine. I cringe every time I visit.

Now teles...... I've tossed 'em end over end through the air, and the worst that ever happened was that I had to re-tune.

Long, long time ago. I'm not like that anymore. I'm a nice guy.

Really! :lol:

13. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

A Tele made specifically to be smashed? I thought this thread was going to be about the Affinity --- badda-bing!

15. stinkey

stinkey Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    malmö sweden
    I've never see any electronic musician smash his laptop, yet.

16. bottled

bottled Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Cambridge, UK
    I was in a music store today and a rather worried mother with her young son were speaking with the store manager about buying a guitar. He asked her if the boys school music teacher had recommended any particular guitar. 'No' she replied. The manager then called out to one of his assistants if they had a boxed Affinity in stock.
    I thought to myself.. ' oh nooooooooooooooooo!' and had a strange compulsion to intervene and left the store feeling sorry for the child.

But at the price a 'smashing' guitar for a beginner.

17. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 10, 2003
    White Mountains
    I'm totally against smashing Guitars or ANY OTHER INSTRUMENT.
    Almost a decade ago I got a call from this TWIRP who "claimed" he was associated with "blank inch blank". This geek wanted to buy Instruments from UGBM to destroy. UGBM had a policy of donating Instruments that we repaired to Kids from poor economic situations.
    Anyways I told him "no" and hung up the phone.
    Then I told him what I really wanted to tell him.:twisted:

I love The Who but ....there's "a line" just like Chris Rock said "that you do not cross.":D

18. JPanichella

JPanichella Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I guess I can see that. My image of mod is more The Jam than anything. Bad haircuts and all.

19. rainedave

rainedave Tele-Holic

Jan 3, 2010
    NC, USA
    Smashing guitars doesn't bother me as much as commercial appropriation. A few years back I saw a TV ad for some investment or brokerage firm. They were showing some guy going through an apparent mid-life crisis in a vintage race car (his unfulfilled childhood dream, I guess) with an early, acerbic Dylan song playing in the background. I remember thinking, how in the world can things get so turned upside-down?

RD

20. notdave

notdave Tele-Afflicted

Aug 9, 2009
    West Midlands. UK
    My Affinity Strat (50 quid SH) plays just as well as my MIM one, the frets are finished nicely, and it stays in tune (as long as you don't get too over enthusiastic with the whammy bar). The pickups ain't that great, but a beginner isn't going to be too bothered by that. Or by the elusive, semi-mythical 'tone'. A Yamaha Pacifica might be a slightly better budget buy, but there's not that much in it.

Guitar snobs might put the kid off playing forever though.

As for the thread. At the end of the day it's a few pieces of wood with some metal bits tacked on. Is it a greater act of vandalism than destroying a Stradivarius violin? Or a Picasso?

The Who ripping into the druggie scene is both hypocritical and amusing, seeing as Entwhistle died coked off his **** and Moon was killed by downers. I'd imagine they were all familiar with uppers and downers...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.