Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Tele made specifically to be smashed

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Blazer, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Okay, smashing a guitar on stage used to be an act of rebellion. Pete Townshend did it because of the de-constructive art movement he was a fan of, in that movement the artist would deface his own artworks while it was on display. He also saw it as a way to show those spineless peace and love preaching hippies as a way what war was like.

With bands like Kiss however it is part of the show, the guitars that get smashed there are the cheapest versions of Paul Stanley's Washburn signatures, with their necks cut clean through so it'll snap on impact. With Mötley Crue Epiphone instruments are biting the dust and Yngwie Malmsteen takes a lot of white Squiers on the road for destruction only.

[​IMG]
    Regardless of the reason behind destroying a guitar on stage it did lead to some Iconic rock pictures such as the "This guitar has seconds to live" poster for The Who's "the kids are alright" movie and the cover photo of "London Calling" by The Clash where bass player Paul Simonon broke his Fender Precision bass.
    [​IMG]
    Simonon's bass as it err... survives today.

Now Telecasters have generaly kept a healthy low mortality rate in all of this, Pete Townshend smashed a couple in the old days and Pearl Jam's Mike McCreedy had smashed a couple but in the overall run Teles are of little interrest to people who do these destructive deeds.

Until now, there's a Japanese company called "Smash guitars" that makes guitars specifically to be smashed, guitars that virtually explode on impact and their main model is a Tele.
    http://www.smash-guitar.com/spec.html

Now these guitars are weakened at strategic places, you can also order them to be filled with picks so it has a pick powder effect when you smash it.

It's really perverse if you ask me... :rolleyes:

2. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    No he didn't. According to the story I've heard several times, he changed guitars one night in a small club in London with a low ceiling, & forgot about the ceiling and broke the headstock off his Rickenbacker. He was upset about it, but the audience went wild, so he did it again at another gig, deliberately this time, & got the same audience reaction. So it became part of his stage act after that.

If he ever stated that it was "de-constructive art" in an interview, I suspect he was winding up the interviewer!

Mike

RoyBGood likes this.

3. BritishBluesBoy

BritishBluesBoy Former Member

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Dude, I think you might want to re-word the bit about hippies.

Just sayin'

;)

4. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Townshend said that when being interviewed by Guitar Player on the Monterey pop performance. He said that he didn't like the whole druggy vibe that was going on and that the thing needed a show of anger, masculinity, a display of what war was like.

Let me see if I can find that interview online.

5. BritishBluesBoy

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I know, just that the way you wrote it makes it sound like your point of view... ;)

6. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    He might have said it in an interview - doesn't mean it's true. ;) What he said sounds far more rock n' roll than "Well it all started by accident..."

And even if he did say it, he's being more than a little delusional if he thinks that getting paid a fortune for smashing a guitar on stage is "what war was like".

:lol:

7. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Im pretty sure that back in the sixties he didn't see a dime for it. The band was very deep in dept because of their destructive habit

8. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Meister

There's a nice story about Pete Townsend and Telecasters. As some of you already know, Pete loves Teles. And yes, he tried to do his party piece with a Tele - But! The Tele got a small bruise, the 18 inch concrete pillar suffered less well, so subsiquently he never used them on stage during the destructive period.

RoyBGood likes this.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Banned

Apr 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Probably destructive habits (plural).

;)

10. BritishBluesBoy

Oct 19, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I love Pete Townshend and I love The Who but honestly Pete is almost as famous for his over inflated sense of himself as for his music...

11. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    Some thoughts: The Who were a Mod group. Mods were not peace-loving hippies. The Who were pretty violent: one of them (allegedly) went down the street tipping parked cars over after a gig in Slough.

12. slickschoppers

slickschoppers Tele-Holic

Sep 13, 2008
    Iowa
    he did it for the crowd... regardless of why he FIRST did it,, in the end the crowd expected it.. it was a signature to the band....... smash guitar = crowd goes wild.

same as kiss, no better no worse. they did it for the same reason....

13. Blazer

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Oh really? This site says otherwise.

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/guitar/equip-fendertelecaster.html

[​IMG]

14. china

china TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Cairns, Australia
    My thoughts on smashings guitars...anyguitars.....any artist..............too much money, too little brain cells.

15. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Nov 29, 2008
    Sonoran Desert
    I don't know who they think they are / Smashing a perfectly good guitar...

waymore likes this.

16. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2008
    Trier, Germany
    There's a very foamous scene in Antonioni's movie "Blow Up" where Jeff Beck smashes a guitar. The band are the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page playing a Tele.

17. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

Oct 27, 2007
    Thule, Greenland
    Alright! A company making a guitar that finally fulfills the claim of the kiddies over on Harmony Central claiming the guitar they just bought is made of "balsa". :D

18. TNTales

TNTales Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2010
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    Keith Moon the drummer of The Who liked to put explosives in toilets in all the hotels he stayed in. Even blew up a drum kit on stage once.

That scene for Blow Up was staged by the director and they ended up having to film it SIX times. That's a lot of guitars. Jimmy Page is there too if you look.

19. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I guess I'd rather see a purpose built "smashing" guitar trashed than a real one, I guess there are tribute bands for the likes of Nirvana, The Who, Rainbow, Hendrix etc who could make use of these, and I'd rather they used them than smashed playable instruments.

As for the indestructibility of Teles, from the pics of those of Townshends above, both Teles look pretty much repairable, unlike the Rickenbacker behind them, or the Les Pauls he trashed.

Also Teles have a habit of biting back when abused in this way.

I played a few gigs supporting a punk/goth band ages ago. This bands party piece was for them to do a punk medley as an encore, and for the guitarist (who used an old Tele Deluxe as his main guitar) to change to some cheap copy guitar to smash at the end of the set. This became part of their act, and started to become expected of them.

Guess what? One night he picked up the cheap copy for the finale, plugged it in and.... nothing!!

Fiddled around with the lead, hit the top of the amp. Still, nada.

With a worried look he threw down the cheapy, picked up his Deluxe, and someone shouted "Smash the Fender!"

End of the song, he picked the guitar up by the neck, slammed it into the stage, it bounced back and hit him in the face!!!!

He ended up with a black eye and a bloody noce, the Tele Deluxe gained little more than one largish dent in the side

20. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 21, 2006
    Vienna, Austria

(wait till after 2:03)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.