Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A T-style Guitar Which Will be Partially Hollow Inside

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by BC-Rush, Jan 9, 2018.

1. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    I played a pretty sweet ASAT Special semi-hollow at the Sam Ash in Philadelphia while I was away on a work trip. Kicking myself for not taking it home with me, but I'm gonna try to make my own version of a thinline.

Here's where I'm at:
    IMG_20180109_175113419.jpg
    That's the top and back, it's birch. Using pine as the core.

Here's part of the core I got hollowed out: IMG_20180109_183514389.jpg

For the core I didn't feel like dulling my router bits, so I just drilled a hole and used my jigsaw to cut out some holes. They're 5/8" on the edges, center block is 5" wide because I read that somewhere once and wrote it down.

I'm using two pieces of pine, will do the same to the other piece later on since it's about time for supper.

The G&L I played also had some kind of P90 lookin' pickups in it. I liked the neck position pickup, but the bridge just didn't do it for me. I might hook up a humbucker, but it's too early to say. Still don't even know what kind of bridge I'll be using. I'll probably just slap on a hardtail and call it good.

As for the neck I'll probably just order an el-cheapo and file down the nut some like I normally do. Seems to work.

Piggy Stu, bender66 and 2blue2 like this.

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Off to a good start.

Most folks around here are pretty big fans of P-90's in the neck position. Some, like me, like 'em anywhere on the guitar! :cool: Or you could use a wide range humbucker at the bridge, always a good choice for a Thinline.

3. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    Cool, and Im seeing some red tortoise on the bench Whats your colors going to be?

BC-Rush likes this.

4. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Well I'm thinking a natural finish, might go with a blonde tone stain, still deciding if I'm gonna go sanding sealer and lacquer or Tru oil. I think tortoise shell would look pretty nice on it.

nojazzhere likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Don't forget that if you have two single coil pickups you are only a 4-way switch from having a humbucker ;)

I am playing a humbucker Esquire a lot lately that I split both coils to a 4-way and adjusted screw poles high with the pickup low to separate tones more and it fakes a good neck and bridge single coil 'set' (with some picking location changes) plus gives a native humbucker tone.

Piggy Stu likes this.

6. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    That is interesting, I'm not much for wiring, but I'm intrigued!

Piggy Stu likes this.

7. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Alright, it got cold fast and snowed a good bit yesterday & last night. Roads were so bad I couldn't make it to work today. Was on a job vacuuming water out of fuel tanks at a flooded power plant. Flooding was due to a huge amount of water to put out a fire in one of the stacks. On top of that, a spurt of warm weather melted all the snow in the area. On top of that, it rained heavily. That place is bad luck. Anyhow, since I took today off due to bad snow covered roads, I decided to do a bit of work on this hopeful guitar! Here's where I'm at in my quick and dirty methods. I mean it's straight up nasty. I meeeaaaaannnnn:

IMG_20180113_134528684.jpg

I don't even screw my template to the wood. I use double sided mounting tape, it works great! I don't even use a thinline template since I'm too cheap; I have no idea where I'm going to position the F-hole. I'm not even going to use a thinline lookin' pickguard, I'm just going to use a normal Tele pickguard and cut out the pickup hole for whatever sort of pickup I decide to order. Such a renegade.

IMG_20180113_135247468.jpg

And there's the jigsawed piece from the other day routed out. Now I need to do the same to the other piece of pine wood. Look, I've already got the holes drilled out so I can fit my jigsaw in!

IMG_20180113_140839687_HDR.jpg

And in the time it took to upload that picture, I got half of it cut out already...

1515870780397-2096550688.jpg

And wouldn't you know it, I got the other side cut out too while waiting for the picture above to load.

1515870997589-2103459493.jpg

I work faster than my network!

Next steps will be to glue this piece to the previous piece, flush trim, then glue up the back piece and flush trim, then decide what to do with the top and route the neck pocket.

Piggy Stu and n__B like this.

8. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Alright, I got the core pieces glued together

IMG_20180113_154218581.jpg

I then flush trimmed the outside edges, and then glued on the birchwood back (or top if you're a lefty!).
    IMG_20180113_202327802.jpg

I still can't decide on how to finish the wood. I'm most likely going to paint the sides as this pine is low grade and will need a good bit of filler. I think I'm done using cheap wood as I've made several guitars and feel more confident in body making.

As far as necks go, I've only had two turn out successfully. I don't have a template for making a neck, but that will be a purchase in the near future. But I'm still going to use a purchased neck for this project.

Piggy Stu likes this.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Don't use a conventional thinline pickguard! Consider doing a Rickenbacker-style cat's eye "f" hole and a standard Tele profile pickguard. That would look UNIQUE. Lots of excellent necks available....I really like my Warmoth. GREAT project....can't wait to see the finished guitar. Thanks for sharing!

BC-Rush likes this.

10. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    I do like the cat's eye style, I hadn't considered anything other than the standard F shape. I'm looking at different semihollow guitars online now looking for more ideas!

nojazzhere likes this.

11. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Update on parts ordered: decided to go with humbucker sized P90s (black) and a bridge with a humbucker sized hole in it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to do much work the past several days due to being stuck in bed, sick.

I wonder how ridiculous a crescent moon shaped F hole would look?

12. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2014
    Portlandia
    No hole? Circle hole with a flattened cheese grater screwed to it?

BC-Rush likes this.

13. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Purely out of curiosity..how thick should each piece be? This seems like another project for the future.

14. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    The total thickness of this body will be nearly 2 inches. For the core I'm using two pieces of 3/4" pine (1 1/2") along with 3/16" birch for the top and back (brings total thickness to 1 7/8").
    My original plan was to only have a birch top, and hog out the pine. Obviously I went a different route with this project for a few reasons, mainly to avoid router tear-out (had a bit of tear-out when routing the profile using a template, which is why I'm going to have to paint the sides), but also just to see how this method of a separate top and back would work.

15. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    so the g
    So the body will be made of 4 boards. that's awesome and sounds like something that I can do with just a few tools( jigsaw, sharp chisel, few files and a chisel...).. Is the neck going to be a normal one or is the neck on a thinline in anyway different?
    (been a lespaul guy all my life till my wife very recently gave me a tele kit)

16. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Yes, this will use just a normal neck.

17. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    this is almost too good to be true. Now I need to find a thick board of pine and two with nice patterns... This forum isn't good for my guitar gas... I already have a body I'm planning to mod the heck out of, one I've already carved a couple of contours and now with your idea.. gotsta do it... Oh well... Something else to live for.. Wonderful world this we live in..

Thank you and I'll be paying close attention to this build..

Could one use one of those boards that one finds in a department store(made of several little riga ones) for this purpose?

BC-Rush and src9000 like this.

18. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    @ BC-Rush - great looking build dude. I love the look of that birch. Can't wait to see the finished article. Your work methods here are very similar to a lot of mine - rough and ready! :p Comes out great though.

I've done several builds this way - using different pieces for body shapes, then adding tops and backs. I won't clutter BC's thread with pictures, but will post a link when I finally get around to putting up a build(s) thread. It'll be in Tele Home Depot anyway.

BC-Rush likes this.

19. mangus

mangus Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2016
    Portugal
    Continue the great work!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    BC-Rush likes this.

20. BC-Rush

BC-Rush Tele-Meister

Jan 30, 2017
    West Virginia
    Yes, you can definitely use wood from a store to make a body like this.

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I definitely would like to see that link, I'm always trying to learn new methods of doing things!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.