Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A stupid question ...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Jan 3, 2018.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    I’ve read countless essays about punk rockers being dissatisfied with the state of rock music in the mid 70’s, but I’ve never heard anything about their thoughts on Disco, save the mention of it in the lyrics of Sheena is a punk rocker. So, basically, how did they feel about Disco?. Did they participate in the famous 1979 anti disco event in the baseball stadium?.

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    American punks were a fashion statement. Real punks didn't like anything.
    That doesn't leave much room to grow on, does it?

3. troy2003

troy2003 Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I remember Pete Anderson(guitarist for Dwight Yoakum) saying early on that the punk rockers liked them. I thought that strange but no reason to doubt him.

OlRedNeckHippy and TeleAndSG like this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I believe in general "punks" HATED disco....it was over-produced, over "techno-fied", not socially aggressive, and overall too polished. Disco lacked the testosterone-fueled energy and disdain for all things "normal"....not that disco was ever "normal". Whether the punks participated in any "anti-disco events" I don't know....they may have been too busy at home shredding their clothes and spiking their hair.
    Bonus note....I just demonstrated the old saying "There's no such thing as a stupid question....only stupid answers".

TeleAndSG likes this.

6. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    Would you consider Bad Brains to be a fashion statement? Their lyrics were generally positive, too.

For example Attitude from 1979:

TeleAndSG and BorderRadio like this.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Secretly, Disco was a guilty pleasure of Sid Vicious.

Sorry, but is it really important to know Punk rockers thoughts on Disco?

TeleAndSG and nojazzhere like this.

8. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Positive statements+ three chords ain't punk. Thats what I think.

9. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    Not sure about other folks and this is only vaguely disco related, but here's an excerpt from a 2010 interview with Bad Brains' Daryl Jenifer:

Q: I would think that you'd have an interesting perspective on punk rock. Since you're partly responsible for this album that's a staple of the genre, I'd think that if punk is doing well, you're doing well. In recent years, punk's been a big deal. So, what do you feel has been the best time for punk rock?

A: Well, punk is youth based music, so it's always in motion. It may not have the same sound, the same clothes, the same tempo. But someone is always going to be young somewhere trying to do something different that's radical and with a message. There will always be underground music, it might be different, electronic or whatever, but there will always big some kid in the basement going against something. So, it's always in motion. Whether it's a fuzz guitar or a clean guitar, or it's fast or slow. I started to go really fast because that was the young people of my time saying, "**** disco! Disco sucks!" So maybe people will be like, "**** this hardcore, lets play really slow." At one point the metal image with the Van Halen T-shirt was the corniest thing ever. Then the skate punk image will be considered corny. What's cool now? The Jetsons or some ****? The corniest thing used to be the 80's, then the sound came back. For rappers, the worst possible thing was tight pants, so they'd wear the baggy pants all low. All the sudden they started to tighten up and tighten up. Now I see rappers with the tight pants hanging off they ass.

Linky poo: https://www.punknews.org/article/39041/interviews-daryl-jenifer-bad-brains

TeleAndSG and nojazzhere like this.

10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    How punk! :)

fendertx and TeleAndSG like this.

11. n__B

n__B TDPRI Member

Mar 4, 2017
    Valley Forge
    Noted. Out of curiosity, what would you consider punk?

TeleAndSG likes this.

12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    The heart of RnR is punk in attitude. Yes I have that P.M.A. :D

13. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Anger, angst. Anarchy. Amercians don't truely know that words definition.

14. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Wasn't he originally in a punk band? I thought he was given some advice at one point and changed over to country?

15. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Yeah, Pete learned an extra chord and it was all over....

Mase, troy2003 and TeleAndSG like this.

16. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2017
    The Peach State
    Not really. It’s just a curiosity of mine. The Ramones (perhaps the only Punk band I really enjoy) might have liked anything they wanted, but their Music is terrific by all means anyway:)

17. scottser

scottser Tele-Holic

Mar 6, 2009
    dublin

18. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Some critics have called Chris Wood of the Restraints the original American punk.
    He secretly loved George Jones. And Nazis.

19. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I was young once.
    Yes, really.
    It was in the mid seventies.
    I got dragged to a coupla discos by some persuasive and lovely young ladies.
    One was a punker (she hated that term) who became my first wife.
    She was the only punk I ever saw in a disco.
    She was probably the only one.;)

20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Not to divert this thread to Pete Anderson, but I remember an interview with him years ago in which he indicated he was, at heart, a rocker. But he said he didn't leave Rock (for country) but Rock left HIM.....I really don't remember the music in vogue at the time, but I recall his statement making sense. I also know he brought a real "Rock" attitude and posture to Dwight's music, both as his producer and his live show.

troy2003, ftbtx and TeleAndSG like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.