A step too far.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Flaneur, May 18, 2019.

1. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Is there a type of music that you'd never, ever play? Or an instrument that you'd never own- even if it was offered as a gift?

Maybe you build amps and would never buy a modeller? Or couldn't contemplate adapting to a five-string bass or seven-string guitar?

Too stuck in your ways for new tunings? Appalled by the look of pointy guitars? We all like to think of ourselves as open minded and flexible......but there are limits!

:):cool::D

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've decided I will not play any songs I don't like. If I was given a modeler or guitar I didn't like i'd sell it and put the money towards something I did like.
    Yes i'm becoming more stuck im my ways but i'm ok with that. Others might have issues with it but i'm ok with that too.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

country music & a telecaster in a Blackface fender amp,,

telleutelleme and RoyBGood like this.
  4. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I try to give any new music a shot, just because I've been surprised before, and I don't think I'm so privileged as to know whether I'll like something I'm totally ignorant of. I'm not a saint about it, but I try.

I'll give any instrument (or guitar, or guitar-like instrument, at least) a shot, especially if it fills some gap left by what I already have. Then I like it or I don't.

I'm not normally interested in "metal" guitars, but I'd take one of these in a heartbeat:

[​IMG]

thunderbyrd, OldDude2 and bftfender like this.
  5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Death metal leapt to my mind.
    Nothing life affirming about it.;)
    Moserites leapt to mind, regarding instruments you could not give me.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've played MANY songs I didn't particularly like, but I can find something to like in ALMOST any song.
    I would be willing to try almost any amp, as long as it isn't too big or heavy for me to move it around.
    I would be willing to try ALMOST any guitar, although I reserve the right to pick it up, feel if the neck will work for me, and then put it down immediately if I don't like it.
    I don't see new tunings as being very practical for me. I even use standard tuning when playing a cover of something originally played in an alternate tuning.....I just don't have time to change tuning on the fly.....even something like a dropped D......
    EDIT.....having read brookedale bill's post above, I would have to agree with the "death metal" category.....nothing appealing there. But, I'd consider a Mosrite if given the chance. ;)

7. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

A guy at work offered me an MIA Strat in excellent shape for $300 but it had three strikes against it:

Big headstock
    3 color burst
    Humbucker

ReverendRevolver and verb boten like this.
  8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

Songs:
    Corporate country in any way other than ironically (my punk band, and the alt rock band before it flirted with this idea as we already did more fun versions of pop songs) but couldn't do it and feel serious.

Ditto with rap songs that suck. Having said that, I've covered Colt 45 by Afro Man at live gigs, crowd loved it. The punk band before that band was doing Just a Friend by Biz Marquis, but never did it live.

Anything be Nickleback. Ever.

Amps:

I'll never buy a modeler, or a SS anything, but if it's free it can get sold or given to my kids or something.
    Buying one of those fiberglass kits to make a Fierro look like a vet doesn't make it a vet......

Tunings:
    Standard got used less than half step down for years, and fat E down to D was common. Experimented with open stuff and Keef tunings, but really, I'm just too lazy to play with tunings right now because im coming out of a time of playing very little into playing a bit more, and dont have that sort of time anymore.

Guitars/instruments:
    I would sell or give to the kids some stuff, several things I wouldn't buy. Before I could play good I had a major guitard-on for a BC rich, and I'm glad I didn't buy one then. My dad got one years later for $35 from a pawn shop because it had fallen off the wall 20 minutes before he walked in, and the pots were bad before that. I'd own a Jackson RR shaped thing for fun if it was free, and have owned an ESP V100, but the necks dont agree with me. Too broad and buttery. I'm just at a point where I know certain things are or are not something I'm actively pursuing, and dont need to own what I dont want. Duolian resonator: need one. Square neck Dobro: dont need. I don't feel a need to own a clarinet. I'd take a flute for free because I can play that, and dont have to buy reeds to teach one of my kids how to.
    Extra string guitars and basses are hard no. Don't care enough to bother. Fretless bass I wouldn't buy, but for free I'd try it.
    I'd like to own an upright bass, wouldn't buy one unless it was way cheaper than normal. I'm not a bass player though. I'd like to own a drum set, for leaving in practice spaces when I get a band together again, but I'm not looking for one.

Effects:
    Never going to spend money on multi effect box. I'd buy certain stuff for the right price, even effects I already have (delay, chorus, phase, etc) but my list of wants are basically clones of other distortion pedals now.
    I'll never use a full rack of stuff. Even if I were rich and touring, just not a fan. 1-2 things if I won lottery and toured, but not a fan. I'd own an echoplex if it was free, but never gig with the unreliable things.

Genres:
    I hate math metal. I define this as most metal that is an elaborate overlay of shred runs and that's how every song is.
    Randy Rhodes solos I can hum. I like those, even though I'm not into metal. Theres decent newer metal, but alot of it I'd never play, it's not my idea of fun.

Now, that stuff isn't a very lucrative thing in Ohio anyway.

Jazz and Cheese Country, that's where the money is. I dont like these things, but will play it for money.
    To provide contrast, I'd pay money to listen to delta blues, I'd stand in a band doing Cash, Hank sr. and Conway for free probably, but the cheese country and jazz carry a need to shower and dealing with pretentious gits (respectively) and if I gotta do it, it's not just community service, I need paid for being there.

Cant do techno. Tried, wanted to help a friend, just couldn't. I helped him with some writing but couldn't do it for real. MSI amuses me, but I couldn't play that and like it.

When I was in high school Hardcore was the scene. I can do that, but what I wrote was inevitably a through back to hardcore with more punk less thrash than what was popular in ohio at the time. I don't mind the "shred your vocal chords on purpose " style vocals. The dancing was fun and the pits reminded me of the sense of unity in punk pits more than the trying to stomp on kids thing in metal pits.

9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Well worth the money but i see your point. And speaking of points; a HB in a strat, i just can't see the point.
    Amps: Pignose. Got one that's old, dusty and lonely.

10. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I woulda not made it past the big headstock ona tele and offered $150 for the parts.......

11. Cheap guitar guy

Cheap guitar guy Tele-Meister

Not a fan of Jazz.

Steve 78 likes this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

No pointy guitars. I didn’t like them when they were in, and I still don’t. I will never waste my money one one. If someone gave me one I would take a few FB pics of me playing one in spandex with salami in my pants. Then I would trade it at GC.

Death metal? I would consider playing it only as a joke, ‘cuz that’s what it is to me.

I would say the same for new country. But I seriously can’t even see the opportunity ever presenting itself, anyway, even as a joke. I’m so far removed from that scene. And given our current political climate, it’s such low hanging fruit on the ridiculousness scale that there’s nothing left to make fun of. Not even on my radar, nowadays. Like daytime talkshows and house hunter reality series. Parallel universe.

13. bbetancourt

bbetancourt TDPRI Member

"Country Roads"

Harry Styron likes this.
  14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Celtic. I think I’ve played about everything else except ‘death metal’ or whatever and I’d play that if called upon to.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

If the Money is Right, I will play any form of Meoldy, Harmony and, Rhythm.

16. sardinista

sardinista TDPRI Member

No pointy guitars, no modelers/profilers, no pop-punk, no nu-metal, no ska, no top-40, no Dead/Phish...

As I'm thinking about it, actually, my guitar and music interests are fairly narrow in scope. I like classic rock, 50s/60s jazz, black metal and doom metal. And that's what I play, with vintage-inspired guitars and tube amps. Everything else can get off my lawn.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have no limits, just my limited attention span and my ability as a player :)

18. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

RAP.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I would never play traditional Chinese or Indian music. I would never own a sousaphone or bagpipes.

bbetancourt likes this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I would NEVER play any Beatles song, better be dead

I would never ever play, even touch, a Stratocaster

That's all

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.