Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A question for folks with collector grade vintage gear...

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by hellopike, Feb 11, 2017.

1. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Nice handle.

2. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2014
    Sydney, Australia
    All of mine are played in rotation.

Primarily they are instruments. They should be played. Otherwise the people who own them are investors, not musicians.

CP.

3. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    I play mine but they are player guitars if vintage. Had a couple of pristine vintage guitars that I did take out and play on stage (these were old Gibson flattops) but I sold 'em because they were just too damned 'clean'. I probably woulda kept on playing them everywhere if they were guitars I just couldn't live without.

I've never really felt the same way about any electric guitar or amp.

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I play everything I own when I want to. I did stop taking as much valuable stuff to gigs after my car was broken into before a gig. I take whatever does the job and I don't get paid any more or less if I take a 62 ES335 or a Tele I made and I still sound like me.

Omiewise65 likes this.

5. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Thanks for the responses, I do appreciate it. I suppose the more I think about it, if I had something truly historic and in pristine condition I could see keeping it under lock and key only to be brought out maybe a few times a year... But it'd have to be something special.

I'm going to bring this back to comics for a moment; because it's an area I am more experienced with than guitars or cars, and it's what sparked this conversation.

I can "almost" understand having a copy of say 'action comics #1" professionally graded and sealed- it is the very first Superman comic. It is the debut of one of the most recognizable and enduring fictional characters in the world. It was published in 1938, in a time when things weren't saved for future value. There are less than 10 copies known to exist in high grade collectable condition. A copy of which sold for nearly $4million dollars. Ok. I could almost see keeping that sealed for historical reasons. Superman is part of American culture and is coming up on 100 years, and I'm willing to bet that if humanity lasts another 100 years we'll still have Superman stories. It could be argued that a copy should be on display in a museum of modern art given its significance.

So I can understand if you've got a closet kept broadcaster or nocaster or something, that you wouldn't want to damage it, but I would hope that it gets played (wether you're a good or bad musician. So long as you're enjoying yourself and trying) because at the end of the day that was what it was meant for.

If you had an original snakehead prototype, though I could see THAT being kept sealed on display in a museum- based on its part in the culture of America and the world it could be considered a modern day treasure if you will.

But I guess I say unless it's something as rare or significant as a snakehead or the first superman, Take it out and use it as it was meant to be used!

6. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2003
    NY
    I have 2 vintage telecasters, all original, in very good condition. I don't play them as often as I should. When I do I am very careful with them.

7. fiestared69

fiestared69 TDPRI Member

Jan 7, 2008
    The Ozarks
    I own several vintage instruments ....I play them all in rotation at gigs. I believe instruments were made to be played !!
    [​IMG]

8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm not a comic guy, but I love books...I have a hard time seeing the parallel.
    I had an old friend who had the world's largest collection of James Joyce 1st editions.
    It never occurred to me to ask him to read one.
    I would be just as happy with a Penguin copy of Ulysses.
    I would love to SEE a real Shakespeare First Folio, but don't need to read it.

9. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Well, I became an accidental collector when I bought my brother's Rickenbacker 1997 and saw the value go up as all of my stocks went into a nose dive in the 90s.
    Since that time I've bought a couple of instruments as investments.
    If everything goes belly up I can still trade them for bread instead of worthless stocks that I can't eat.

I take them out a couple of times a year when friends come over and we enjoy the **** out of them...

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    Yes, but that Shakespeare folio- it'd be neat to see it behind glass, but you wouldn't want to have the opportunity to open it if it were yours? Did you friend never open those James Joyce first editions? That's I guess what I mean.

If a painting is stored away where no one can see it, is art anymore? If a book (comic or otherwise) is sealed in a plastic box unable to be opened, is it still a book? If an
    Instrument is stored away and never played is it still considered a musical instrument?

Rich B in Tempe likes this.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I may not understand the magic of books but, to me, the art is in the words and/or pictures and this can be eadily reproduced.
    I think what you lose by reading a reproduction comic book is much less than what you lose by playing a reproduction guitar.

Antoon and thegeezer like this.

12. stretford

stretford TDPRI Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Florida
    It just depends on the guitar and the person. I have some clean vintage stuff that's more in the Sunday driver category, and some more beat up stuff that I don't have to stress about putting some extra miles on.

Once you get into vintage guitars you usually end up with more than one, a range of stuff in all different conditions. It's not by design, it's just luck of the draw. You can only get what is available to you. I say try a range of stuff and find what suits you best. The money angle stops being so important when you get into the real value of these instruments: history, craftsmanship, design, Americana, and musical inspiration.

thegeezer and Antoon like this.

13. Telekaster

Telekaster TDPRI Member

May 10, 2004
    I own several vintage guitars which are in collector grade. I play them all on a regular basis.

thegeezer likes this.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    It's a double edged sword. It's nice to think some examples of things will be preserved in excellent condition for future admirers to look in awe at, but at the same time with something like a guitar it's sad to think it's not made much if any music, which is what it was intended for and in many cases I'm of the opinion an unplayed guitar,especially an acoustic never reaches its full potential never really being played past break in.

I got my 1939 Gibson L50 in 1975 and it had obviously been a player, I've continued to play the hell out of it for the last 40+ years, no it's not a big bucks guitar and never will be, but if it was an L5 I'd still play the hell out of it.

hellopike and CharlotteTele like this.

15. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    It takes all kinds, and some of them have the kind of money where it seems normal to have the best of something, even if for no reason.

I just bought an 8 year old Harley last fall with 122 miles on it. I gotta thank the guy for taking such good care of it, and the substantial hit in depreciation. He had 5 more.

hellopike likes this.

16. Tedzo

Tedzo TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Georgetown, Ca
    Git 'em out and play 'em......they have feelings too.
    '53 custom

Willy.jpg

CharlotteTele likes this.

17. Guitaficio

Guitaficio NEW MEMBER!

Feb 18, 2017
    Houston tx
    I play all my vintage gear at shows. 66 Tele, 66 DR, 51 Fender Tweed etc. I keep good insurance. :)

18. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    There have been several things that I had, that I sold because they needed some mod or repair ( for my tastes) to play better, but I knew that doing it would decrease the vintage value, so I just moved them. The whole thing makes me sick.

19. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Maybe a slightly controversial opinion but I think if people are lucky/fortunate enough to own a vintage 'collector grade' instrument then they can do what they want. I don't care if they're playing it or not and to be honest if I owned a few vintage instruments I'd probably consider keeping a few as an investment.... as long as I could play my favourite. :)

El Tele Lobo likes this.

20. jimash

jimash Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2013
    NJ
    For me, buying a guitar as an investment would guarantee that either they'd start making them again and the price would dip ( double cut 6120) or they would just fall apart in the case.

hellopike likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.