A question about Smart Phone Photography from an aging fart.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Nov 27, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Why do some people only shoot pictures and video while holding their phone upright? Another way of asking is why do some people never tip the phone 45 degrees into a "letterbox" style format?

I have a left and right eyeball that are formatted this way and my TV and laptop are formatted this way....

[​IMG]

I do not have one eyeball above the other eyeball. I don't see like this....

[​IMG]

I can appreciate both formats but I don't understand taking every photo and video vertically.

I keep seeing news video on my TV that is formatted the way the green field is formatted above and the TV station fuzzes out the left and right side of the screen. I think "why?".

There was a high speed chase in Milwaukee captured on a smart phone and the person held the phone upright. The left and ride side of my big flatscreen were fuzzed out and you see this car shoot across the middle in milliseconds and you have no clue what was happening around it. Hmmm.

I was at a restaurant this weekend and a lady was trying to take a picture of a large group and she was holding her phone upright while griping because all of he friends wouldn't fit in the photo. My mother in law does this when she takes family photos. She holds the phone upright and lectures all of us to squish in together really tight...."You guys don't all fit - C'mon squish together!" Hmmmm.

Do you notice this? Is this weird or am I just ancient?

????????

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

huh?

studio1087 likes this.
  3. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

I like the way you think.

Doctorx33, DrPepper, parademe and 3 others like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Tele-Meister

I don't see it.

What I see is the now tendency to go square.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

People film like that because they're idiots.
    [​IMG]

A photo is a different story. Sometimes the image calls for that? I'll shoot both ways & see if I can get either to work better with the subject.

imwjl, darren7, teletimetx and 3 others like this.
  6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That was because the guy filming the speed chase had already filled up his depends and he was running on overtime!

kuvash and studio1087 like this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I find it even more perplexing when people watch video on their phones that was shot horizontal, but they hold the phone vertical so the screen is cropped top and bottom.
    I've even asked to hold it to see closer, and when I hand it back they turn it to cropped again.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

Photographers call upright photos "Portrait" mode. Portrait mode art often looks more sophisticated than regular Landscape shaped art. Some photos have a lot less boring background if shot in Portrait mode. Portraits of people are a good example of that. Video shot portrait mode would only be usefull if replayed on a phone.

Most people using their phones for photography haven't studied photography and for many, the camera in the phone is more of a toy than a tool. It sure is convenient either way.

Doctorx33 and studio1087 like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It's the same idiots who text and drive.

El Tele Lobo and studio1087 like this.
  10. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

Maybe people have their TVs and computer screens in the wrong orientation.

Doctorx33 and studio1087 like this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

We're only partially thru our metamorphosis...

studio1087 likes this.
  12. GTG_Gopher

GTG_Gopher Tele-Meister

The phone is designed to fit the hand in the portrait orientation, and most apps are designed to be used in portrait, so that’s how most people are used to holding them.

They’re taking pics and video that way out of habit and comfort, not stupidity or malice...

Agreed that portrait is much more pleasing for video but less comfortable way to hold the phone.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

The phone is smart, that doesn't necessarily apply to the person holding it.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They have no sense of aesthetics.

Having a camera does not make you a photographer.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  15. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My sister did that Sunday. I took a family pic in landscape mode, hand her the phone, and she turns it vertical to look at it. Have to admit when I first got a smart phone I only took pics vertical as well. Not sure why.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    studio1087 likes this.
  16. Solrac Kai

Solrac Kai Tele-Holic

Don’t stop at 45, kick it over an additional 45 to go from portrait to landscape view.

middy, Hop2it and Boubou like this.
  17. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Might wanna rethink that :D

Wallo Tweed and studio1087 like this.
  18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Instamatic demographic... no one turned a 126 camera to another orientation as it was a square format, if you grew up w/that its a ingrained behavior..

Now that I have explained that, I'm back to the paint color=tone thread

19. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

when shooting video with the iphone, it assumes you want it formatted in the position the camera was held in when the record button was pressed. even if you rotate the camera while filming it will stay in landscape or portrait mode (whichever was the format you began recording in) so if you are taking a picture of something, and you decide to start recording a video, it will stay whichever way the camera/phone was held. so most of this is by default, not on purpose.

when discreeting filming flying saucers or giant dragons or other humans, it is far easier to do it with the camera held as if you were talking on your phone (portrait position) then if the phone is turned sideways, which just says "i'm filming you blasting tokyo with your fire breath and will use it as evidence in court against you" at which point most giant lizards just kill you.

so its not all "artistic aesthetics" there is a host of factors at play in the random fuzzy crappy photos and videos thaty have permeated your reality.

smart phones are crappy phones and crappy cameras and crappy computers combined in a small form factor meant to allow you to be constantly distracted and have your brain fried by microwaves all day long. This explains a lot of the vacant stares from anyone under 40. if you really want to P*ss them off say "hello" and make eye contact, it totatlly creeps them out that you would do such a thing.

when I retire I'm going to smash my work phone with a sledge hammer for a couple days just to wind down. then I'll mail the pieces back to apple and ask them if its still under warranty....

El Tele Lobo and DougM like this.
  20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Flipping from portrait to landscape mode is 90 degrees not 45. 45 would be a diagonal half way in between the two.

DonM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.