Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Peavey Envoy?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jbnaxx, Jun 5, 2018.

1. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I am considering trying a used Envoy for home and occasional church band use. I am looking for a great clean, don't need a huge amount of volume and these things can be found for a hundred bucks. There are a lot of the current one-eyed models and I still see several red stripe models.
    Is there enough difference in sound to seek out the red stripe over the current models?

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    IMO, all Peavey amps are decent workhorse amps capable of getting the job done. A lot of people believe the USA Made "Red Stripe" is the coveted era but IMO this has more to do with the last of "USA Made" label than anything else. They are all good and they are all reliable.

I'm a cheap bugger... I would just look for the one in the best working condition at the lowest price. I wouldn't care if it's a teal stripe, silver stripe, red stripe (MIA), red stripe (MIC), or cyclopes.

3. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    See my recent NAD thread on my $50 Red stripe Envoy

It is mind blowingly killer!

Put my trusty old BD2 and DD3 in front of clean channel the other nite at local blues jam....wow

Went toe to toe with house 50w Marshall and Rocker 30

Just amazing. $50 ! Crazy!

drlucky likes this.

4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Codamedia has said it all, so all I'm doing is seconding. But Envoy are louder than you might think . . .

5. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I had a Bandit for a while. I liked it but it was way more amp than I needed. I understand that the Envoy may be very loud as well. If I run across a Rage in my travels, I might give that shot. I have always liked 10 inch speakers, but have found that at lower volumes 8 inches get the job done....... and you can pick up a Rage for less than 50 bucks!

6. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

May 14, 2008
    Marion, NC
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

7. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    This thread is what made me start shopping for the Envoy. One poster stated that the clean channel had a very neutral sound. That is exactly what I am looking for. So much gear has a mid-focus. I have a Fender Super Champ XD that has no mid EQ. It sounds great, but sometimes I would like to dial back the mids a bit.

hrstrat57 likes this.

8. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Good versatile amp I have had three of the US RS models and have never been disappointed, (one had no "verb and thus was quite reasonable..a connector was loose on the board)

They tend to move on when students move into playing w/ others and need a bit "more". The independent channels are nice in 1x 10 and there is sufficient power to cover small gigs. I have not played the earlier or later models although I would not avoid them if the price was right.

Another option would be a older Audition Plus or 110, 1x10 20- 25 watts, shared eq but they do have a mid control, alas these did not continue in to the RS series.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I doubt there is much difference in the sound (especially clean) but the red stripes have a spring reverb and the newer ones have a digital reverb FWIW.

10. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks for that. I do love reverb.

11. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Reverb in mine is fabulous/ fully expected MOD or a vintage tank replacement would be necessary

Nope, glorious but if some of what I’ve read is true some red stripes can have quirky reverb?

Mine needs nothing other than a decent guitar plugged into it.

Your thread reminds me I need to do my due diligence and update my NAD thread to debunk the rumors that Lil Envoy won’t like overdrive pedals....

If the BD2 is an overdrive pedal = couldn’t be more wrong.

12. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I am a big fan of practice with just a guitar- cord- amp. I think it makes me concentrate on my technique more than tweeking knobs. For that reason, I am not big on the modeling amps. I have an older Vox tonelab and I just spend too much time bent over turning knobs. It actually has some good sounds in it. I like simple.......and cheap.

daddyplaysbass likes this.

13. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I got chance to test drive a Rage this week. They did not have an Envoy in stock. Plugged in a new Tele and turned some knobs and I was fairly impressed at sound from the clean channel. It was quite strong on the treble side. I turned the treble control all the way down and it sounded pretty good but was still not something I could fall in love with. Still holding out for that big find on an Envoy.

14. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I purchased mine new in 1990; still going strong. Not my only amp, but often used.
    I wouldn't part with it.

15. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    I think my ideal find would be a US made Red Stripe...... but I will probably grab the first one I run across, including buying a new one. You know how that works......you buy the new one and then you start tripping over them for 50 bucks a piece.

Crafty Fox likes this.

16. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Patience always required in gear quest....

The Red Stripe Envoy will appear!

17. TimmyV

TimmyV Tele-Meister

Aug 11, 2014
    Ohio
    The red stripe can easily be modded to have an fx loop. I have one I modded:)

SolidSteak likes this.

18. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    The OP [loose quote] asked if the Red Stripe was worth the difference.
    I like all the U.S. models equally in their own way... I think I prefer the R.S. simply because it is newer.
    I currently have a R.S. Envoy and a Silver Stripe Special 212.
    I can... and have bought expensive amps, but, to let the cheap gals sing is a thing of beauty, trust and mystery.

My opinion is yes... the Red Stripe is the one... Silver Stripe series close behind.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    hrstrat57 likes this.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I have several bandits, got them cheap before the YouTube channels found them. Solo 70s through Red and Cyclops -- I agree with previous poster that any of them are good. Don't feel out of sorts if you get your deal on a non-RS bandit/other.

Peavey should really take advantage of the market and sell a Red Stripe reissue USA assembled model. Maybe hand out intheblues stickers for a 'signature' option buyers can put on.

Tele-beeb likes this.

20. Jbnaxx

Jbnaxx Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2011
    Arkansas
    When the UPS truck arrives this evening, it will be NAD! Found a teal stripe envoy that looks like new and has the footswitch with it. Got it for 89.00. Not a great deal, but a good deal I think. Looking forward to the test drive.

Tele-beeb and TimmyV like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.