Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A pair of '60 Strats

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tigger, Sep 13, 2018.

1. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

So it starts again. I really don't need another guitar, but I decided a friend needs one. And since building one would be silly, I'll build two.

I have decided to fully address two complaints and suggestions from other thread:

1) A build should take forever. Indeed, the plan for this is just what Shackleton told the Ross Sea party: It'll be done this winter, or the next.
    2) Work on Tigger Jr. version 2. This work is done and that should result in a few months off work and maybe a little more time for projects...

So the plan is there will be two roughly 1960's strats, and I'll try to get them as accurate as possible. Problem #1: I don't actually have a 1960's strat to copy. I'm still working this out and searching for someone willing to let me trace one locally. A backup solution is modifying one of the existing '62 RI drawings. I've already done this for the routes as I found good measurements, but the full body outline is giving me issues. Necks on the other hand seem to be fine in the drawings with both earlier and later curves.

So far I'm missing neck blanks. I do have a large piece of maple but it's from a hardware store so I'll make some test blanks out of it and compare with something sourced for the purpose.

I did get 3x2 pieces of Alder from alaskawoods.com. 4 newer lighter younger growth and 2 heavier old growth pieces, good for 3 body blanks. The old growth is really beautiful with mineral streaks, but it will be a touch heavier at around 2.5-2.6 #bft.

And I have 2 Madagascar and 1 Brazilian boards from, supposedly, a very old stash. The board on the left is the BRW, the right is Madagascar. They smell amazingly nice. The BRW board is quite dried out though.

[​IMG]

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    This sounds like a couple of great builds. After seeing the attention you paid to the SG, I’m excited to see you tackle these.

tigger likes this.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Tigger,

This Strat plan started as the '62 RI but was modified by Gil Yaron (preeb) to reflect a 'real 62. It's more accurate than what it started out as. If you have access to a '62 maybe you can compare the plan to it.

Attached Files:

tigger likes this.

4. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    For a little inspiration here is one of his '62s. I snagged the picture from one of his build threads because I had a '62 AVRI that looked exactly the same that got stolen. I miss it a lot. Tobacco sunburst.

GilYaron_62TSB_Strat.jpg

Chunkocaster and tigger like this.

5. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks Richard!
    I did find that. I believe I swept the internet clean for all sorts of strat plans. I even emailed Gil if he didn't end up scanning his templates by any chance (he hasn't). I even checked if Sonoran desert isn't reasonably close to Denver and LA where I both have to go in October, but it isn't really :(

I found this to be a pretty good resource: http://precbsguitars.com/ (it's someone in Spain AFAICS making very accurate copies with a lot of photos and measurements of originals). I did try mailing them if I cannot buy plans/template off them but I didn't get a response. I could try again but I wouldn't be surprised if they were worried to let them go.

6. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Did you ask him about the plan and what changes he made to it? IIRC, he compared it to his templates - which are accurate - and made the changes. His '61 Strat might be what he made his templates from.

7. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I did not. Someone here made comparison of the different outlines and I think I've seen a post by him saying it is still not accurate (even the corrected version). I have a '07 highway one to compare the outlines with and they are rather different. Of course it could be that the hwy one is off but AFAIK fender moved back to more vintage accurate body shapes in early 2000's.

8. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Hi Tigger,
    I have a copy of a 57 with some of the deepest belly and arm cuts I’ve ever seen. Pure beautiful curves! I’d be happy to send you any dimensions you’d like if it would help.
    Rob

9. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    tigger likes this.

10. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Thanks! I've never seen that neck one which has great stuff (like the cuts of the necks!).

John Nicholas likes this.

11. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

That would be awesome! Do you happen to have a scanner by any chance? If you could trace the two horns on a letter and scan them, that would really help. I would try to put it together then and clean up and publish the svgs.

Barncaster likes this.

12. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I sent Gil a PM to settle once and for all if the fixed plan is correct. I'll let you know when I get a reply. I'd sure like to know because I've built quite a few Strats from that plan.

tigger likes this.

13. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'm glad that something was helpful. Can't wait to see your build!!

14. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

I'm starting to wonder if I have the right file. I have something called Strat Body Blueprint Fixed http://100acrewood.org/stuff/strats/Strat Body Blueprint Fixed.pdf and I thought this was the one Gil fixed, but now I'm not sure if there are differences between it and the other blueprints. There is also this one that someone from here has made, which shows outlines from three different blueprints: http://100acrewood.org/stuff/strats/Strat body shapes.pdf

I took the '62 RI blueprint and modified the pickup and cavity routes by fixing the pickup routes to have ~1" width in the center and changing the cavity route edges to match photos. (I would take a photograph, align the perspective to match the cavity sides and then use it to fix what didn't fully match.)
    But I cannot do the body outline that way..

15. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I think the 2nd one might be taken from reissues. The first one looks the same as I have and posted above. I didn't hear back from Gil yet so it's hard to say how accurate it is.

16. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Gil did pop in here few days back though! I do imagine his PM box is quite full. I of course took most of the inspiration from his strat build threads, just as I did for the SG rebuild from his '59 LP thread.

There is a lot of things I did not decide yet, but as I'm waiting for neck maple blanks (and, in fact, for the workshop I plan to use to become operational), I'm weighing my options of radiusing the fretboard. In general I see three ways:
    1) Make a router radius jig.
    2) Make a belt-sander radius jig.
    3) Use a 20 inch (so longer than fretboard) radius block like this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=401097438698

With 1) I'm worried about tear-out, and I also have to make the jig and not all are equal.
    2) is almost right out, because I don't believe the belt sander will be sufficiently rigid and I'd have to build the arm.
    3) looks the easiest, but the trick is to make sure you are sanding even and not pushing down more on one side or corner. I imagine I could do that but I'm not sure.

Should I go for the jig instead of the sanding block?

17. RickyRicardo

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    My fretboard radius jig isn't quite right. I do a partial cut then finish off with the beam.

If you are in Europe then take a look at this radius beam from Guitars and Woods. I've purchased from them before and in my case they do ship to Canada. I find their products top notch and they were able to come in cheaper even with exchange and shipping.
    https://guitarsandwoods.com/sanding/10-aluminum-radius-sanding-beam-for-fingerboard-fretboard.html

There is also this:
    https://www.philadelphialuthiertool...uminum-radius-sanding-beam-20-5-520mm-length/

awasson and John Nicholas like this.

18. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Oh cool. The philadelphia luthier one ends up being about $18 cheaper, thanks! The G&W one is shorter than the fretboard so there I'm worried that I'll sand the middle more than the edges.

A '58 strat popped up for sale nearby, but I'm not a sufficiently outgoing person to write them an email saying, hey, I don't want to buy your $16k guitar, but can I come and make a template out of it?!

19. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I use Philadelphia Luthier quite often. But they are very close to me (NY) so I get shipments in two days! It's where I got my radius sanding beam.

As an alternative to asking the seller for you to make a template drawing, maybe you could ask them to make it! You will bring all the supplies. Tell him your writing a book on Stratocasters and are comparing all the Stratocasters to discover the variations from one to the next!! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.