Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A nice guitar.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Mar 7, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I disagree completely. My own opinion is that this design could have been a Gibson offering and probably could have been offered for more than this one (based on the name) if it had a traditional Gibson headstock. I would at least give it a play...whereas I simply do not like the feel and necks on most Gibsons. I don't really care for most of the Ibanez necks I've played either...maybe this one would be the one to change my mind.

Regardless, the argument is superfluous and moot. This is not a Gibson and no one can say what would have happened if it were...

studio1087 likes this.

2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I only had one SG, and maybe they are not all like that but the neck on it even though it was pretty full was soft as a rubber band. It was kind of cool in that it didn't weigh very much, and sounded good, but man, if you put ANY pressure on that neck, it sounded like you were using a tremolo. Probably just needed some pressure on the neck rod, but I'm sure I tried that, 'cause I always do. It was a pretty cool guitar in spite of that, you just had to be mindful of its shortcomings. But, aren't they all like that in some respects?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    studio1087 and william tele like this.

3. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 14, 2011
    Annapolis, MD
    It looks good but I think it might be too cheap. Pine fretboard? That's a new one on me. I like the PRS version of SG the Mira.

But if I found this one at a reasonable price I might buy it. SGSP6WWCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

Geo, Bruxist and studio1087 like this.

4. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    $349 with "Bigsby" vibrato, three HB's and sparkle green on top? Who cares what you think, it's mine.

orangeblossom and Jakedog like this.

5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I like it.

Traditional, but still funky.

Best of both worlds - and it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock, so that's neither here nor there...

6. mfromb

mfromb TDPRI Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Boston, MA
    I'll say one thing about Ibanez; They've proven (to me, anyways) that a Made in China instrument can roll off the lines with build quality and consistency of quality control that should make certain other US-makers slink away in shame.

Fred.T likes this.

7. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    ibanez-ar420-vls-violin-sunburst-312628.jpg
    This is the one I bought few years ago. For a roughly $500 new. You'll have a hard time finding a better guitar for that money. A really hard time.

src9000, Chud, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I have one of these. GAX75 with drop-d switch.

[​IMG]

It has issues. It doesn't stay in tune very well, and the tuning keys aren't very smooth. The treble rolls off really fast and the knobs have gotten kind of stiff over time. The pickups are a bit muddy for me, perhaps because I do prefer a single-coil. It feels okay, but not as good as my more expensive guitars. Overall, it feels cheap, but it only cost me $120 used, so it is indeed cheap. My Korean PRS SE Korina is a MUCH better guitar, but it was $400.

As for cheap Gibsons, isn't that what Epiphone is for?

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    What do the membership think of this? Yamaha Revstar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Definitely their own shapes. Great build quality. Range of prices and features. What's not to like?

src9000, Jakedog, Chip and 1 other person like this.

10. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

P-90s available on that Ibanez?

11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2006
    Singapore
    The Revstars are great guitars as a whole, but the hardware leaves a lot to be desired; brand new in the shop, they show so many signs of use already. This would irk many of us, unless you’re REALLY into the relic look, and only just for the hardware.

Sound wise, the humbuckers are clear but somehow lacking character? Trying too hard to please everybody. The tone push-pull Switch really makes no real practical difference.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 21, 2007
    My mom's basement.
    Yes, it's a nice design. More and more I just don't care about Gibson except for the well being of staff outside of the circle of execs who seemed to have made and/or repeated bad decisions for a long time.

That it is a nice design and a nice price is all the more reason I'm fine if Gibson dies. It's some more support for how good the market is. Just look at all the choices we have.

Honestly, I only think reasons to be sad or bothered beyond the fate of some Gibson staff is if your love of the the Gibson logo weighs more than about anything else.

13. AbisFjord

AbisFjord Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2017
    Texas
    Guitar that makes hot sandwiches? Now you're talkin', boy!

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I love the Ibanez Artist series guitars. That is my idea of a classic design and I’d put that up beside the Les Paul, SG, Tele & Strat as far as balance and aesthetics are concerned. I’ve got a couple of 1981 Artist Series guitars. They sound as good as they look too.

15. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    They made a bunch of models like that and they're uniformly damn good, from the cheapest to the most expensive. As is true with the AS and AM line of semi-hollows. Ibanez has always been an incredible value and is probably making better stuff today than ever. Amazingly, there's even a bit of a "vintage" market for '70s and early '80s Japanese made Ibanez models. I had one of their Les Paul knockoffs (with a very slightly altered body shape because of lawsuits) with an Ebony fretboard back in about 1979 - it was one of the nicest playing guitars I've ever had. Weighed about 40 pounds and is no doubt still sustaining some of the notes I played on it back then. I didn't know what I had and let it go waaaay too soon, but I still have great memories of that guitar. And went through a few others before I found something else I liked as much. The one you show here is basically the newer version of the guitars Bob Weir was playing with the Dead in the late '70s. He even had a signature model up until a year or two ago.

-Ray

imwjl and awasson like this.

16. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    We’ll see how a $200 Ibanez holds up once it arrives, but I’m thinking these:

View attachment 500658 IMG_0032.JPG IMG_0033.JPG

Will look great on this:

second_5c020140-cf29-431f-88ba-6bc6fe9cb53b_grande.JPG Ibanezax120metalliclightblue_grande.JPG

Attached Files:

Zepfan, awasson and src9000 like this.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Chud likes this.

18. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City

19. Chud

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Wow, so I finally got notice today that the Ibanez came in and shipped out. Should be here Monday. I almost forgot about this one, hopefully it's worth the wait. Lol

20. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Me too—twice...

Chud likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.