Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A nice guitar.....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Mar 7, 2018.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I saw an email from Ibanez and after looking at it I started to get upset with Henry at Gibson.

This is the ad. The AX120.

[​IMG]

I looked at the ad and I thought "that's a nice looking guitar". It has some style but it's kind of traditional. The shape and fret markers and head stock are cool and stylish without overdoing it and making the guitar look goofy.

I started to wonder why Gibson can't come up with something stylish (but not nutty). With all the designers and engineers and artists in a big guitar company, why can't a company come up with a couple of things that are new and not bat sh*t crazy?

I have more Fender guitars than Gibson models. I'm gigging a Thinline Tele in the new band this Friday and I'm very excited. I am very disappointed that Gibson is in such dire straights. I stick up for Gibson at times but I'm truly disappointed that a domestic iconic guitar brand is failing. I'm proud of cool things that are made here. It's very sad that Gibson has been poorly managed.

No one needs robot tuners or Firebird X's or the space tech Flying V (or whatever they call it) or the Les Paul-ish cheapies that sell on Amazon for $299. We don't need guitars with built in effects or dingle berries or studio monitors that have flame maple Les Paul caps glued to the fronts.

So many silly marketing schemes. How about designing a guitar that is a slight variation on a popular theme and focus on quality instead of robot mechanized bleeping blooping mini switches and an interior oven that heats a sandwich when you play near lunch time. Yay sandwich lifestyle. They've focused on some silly stuff.

I've said this way too many times but Les is buried about 20 miles away from my house. I do have a lot of respect for Les and Leo.

So back to that nice Ibanez guitar.....isn't it great that a company can keep introducing attractive guitars that don't have goofy gimmicks and irrelevant dip sh*ttery?

It's sad. I'm started to feel very disappointed and resentful of Henry.

Man that turned into a rant. Sorry.

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    It needs bird inlays on the fretboard.

3. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    By the way, the Ibanez guitar is $199.

Piggy Stu, richiek65 and Deeve like this.

4. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Holic

Sep 21, 2017
    Georgia
    I'd give em at least tree fiddy

Anode100 likes this.

5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Gibson DID that--when it made the SG. Now people just want an SG, not a slight variation on an SG. People who are going to pay the premium for having "Gibson" on the headstock want those "iconic" designs, which are pretty much locked in.

I really like that Ibby up there, but you don't really think people want one of those from Gibson, do you? Ibanez has the freedom that comes from not having an image that's immured in amber.

Gibson's strength is also its greatest weakness.

[insert "Any Day Now" graphic here]

6. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I'm no fan of SG's but thats a really nice SG-ish type guitar that I wont hesitate to buy if Im gas'ing over an SG.

Geo, william tele and studio1087 like this.

7. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    How are they going to sell any of those at $199 when the market is clamoring for $5000 guitars painted like custom vans?

Fiesta Red, Picton, craigs63 and 5 others like this.

8. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Dangit, I REALLY like that guitar...

hey John, can you send me that link? I can't seem to find these in Japan...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018

9. 3fngrs

3fngrs Friend of Leo's

Oct 30, 2017
    Ohio
    My niece had one of those. It's a really nice axe for the price.

10. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    reminds me a little of the yamaha sg

11. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois
    The AX 120 looks pretty cool to me.

12. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    SacDAve likes this.

13. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

14. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    You're right, John. I look at that guitar and really see a Gibson. I really like it! If it has anything in the way of a beefy neck I'd love to try it! Thanks!

studio1087 likes this.

15. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Wow, that’s just stupid cool for $199

studio1087 likes this.

16. Fred.T

Fred.T Tele-Meister

Sep 29, 2009
    Zagreb, Croatia
    AX230.png Or this AX230. Yikes! GAS

17. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Damn this place. Just reserved a light blue one for when they arrive in April. :lol::lol::lol:

18. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If that said Gibson on the headstock there would be 6 threads flaming the company for daring to make something so hideous. Gibson (and to a lesser extent, Fender) can't really win.

SacDAve, Geo, Jakedog and 2 others like this.

19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'll step up and endorse it if they will raise the price to 2,299.00 and give me the difference.

Jakedog, Mjark and Piggy Stu like this.

20. studio1087

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    You both make valid points. When I looked at the guitar I thought that it was a good marketing effort - made sense - looked like something that people would want to buy. I thought of all the name brand recognition that Gibson has and I started to question all the goofy roads that Henry has gone down. What if the SG just stayed the SG and what if Gibson focused on quality and a couple of new color offerings every two years? I come up with these crazy ideas. Instead they've focused on Gibson Les Paul Studio Monitors at $1000 each.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Nuttier than a fruitcake. Three bricks shy of a load. Loading up on too much fruitcake? I digress.

Jakedog likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.