Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A New Voice... Synthesizer

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tele-beeb, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Sharing some joy.
    For months I have wanted to play some classic synth parts.
    I am not a keys player, just some basics.
    Long story of trying and buying and returning hardware led me to an unexpected world...
    ios Synth apps.
    I have a midi keyboard hooked to my ipad that employs access to different synth apps.
    I am emulating Kraftwerk and other 70’s and 80’s songs/bands.
    I plan to do some intros, pads and background chords for my group.
    Actually having a blast.

Skully likes this.
  2. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    A few years ago, I bought a bunch of iOS synth apps and attempted to play them with a MIDI controller, and it was a very frustrating experience -- a lot of special adapters that only worked sometimes and time lags. After that, I decided to stick to my PC-based MIDI plug-ins. Hopefully, your experience is better.

I love playing with '70s-'80s-style synth sounds. They're so rich and thick.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Tele-beeb likes this.
  3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Welcome to a whole new rabbit-hole. It is scary how good some of the soft-synths out there can be. All the sounds of the best 70's modulars, but in-tune, light-weight, cheap, and instantly accessible.

Peregrino69 and Tele-beeb like this.
  4. Tele-beeb

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Yes, thanks.
    I realize this may be a gateway to a bigger thing.
    I have experienced the connectivity problem.
    Encased the adapter in a “foam case.”
    It helps.
    I do have one app that sometimes lags, but, I think it’s the attack controls.
    Haven’t went live yet.
    More to come :)

5. Tele-beeb

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    Thanks.
    I am in the rabbit hole...
    I think my controller and four apps are still under a hundred dollars... for hundreds or even thousands of dollars of synth power.

6. Tele-beeb

Apr 2, 2012
    The Bluegrass
    I may not be using this new (to me) quote system correctly?

7. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Haha, indeed :D How nice of you to help a fella not dig himself deeper into the hole by for example posting a link to VSTPlanet... :p

Tele-beeb and 24 track like this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I have about 200 soft synths that i use ,arturia , moogs , mini moogs, Arp 2600's , Putney VCS3 , Rob Patton, Korg collection ,Spectrasonics, PPG waveterm , Sfring synths, Mellotrons, sample tank, Native instruments , it just goes on and on this by no means to close to what i run with , I can trigger them with my GR55 guitar synth , my Kurzwiel K2000 keyboard , My Yamaha WX 7 midi saxiphone and a ton of controlers its a blast !

this is no where near all of it ( this is what happens when some flushes the rabbit hole )

IMG_0021.JPG P1011811.JPG

9. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    I have loads of synth gears as well as my guitar stuff

I have found over the years it best to play either only synths or only guitars in a band sense just down to stage space

However with a helix floor its entirely possibly to trigger a synth module or ipad/phone app and play guitar

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    I have a bunch of great synth iOS apps that I midi control. Not seen connectivity problems but I am using a 2018 iPad now. Korg ones are very nice and Audiokit SynthOne and FM Player are latest I’ve installed.

I always get a pleasant surprise plugging my GT100 multifix in which has a ‘pitch to midi’ feature (single notes only) that tracks very well with relatively insignificant latency.

Not used it much live as it can get cheesy but easy enough to set up. Midi to iPad, iPad to desk via volume pedal.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    If you've been following the chatter around the Helix... polyphonic pitch shifting/tracking and synth capabilities (multi oscillators, envelopes, LFO's) may be reality in one of the upcoming updates. There may not be a need to trigger anything.

12. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Really? The Helix does pitch-to-MIDI ? This unit is becoming a lot more interesting...

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I've been getting into them recently as well. I recently bought a M-Audio Oxygen 25 controller to have some more fun.

14. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2018
    vallejo ca
    I jumped down the guitar synth rabbit hole years ago. Latest acquisition being the Fishman Triple play on board my Godin Session Custom. Not quite as many whistles and buzzers as the GR-55 and being PC based not as portable but so far I give it 4 stars.

24 track likes this.
  15. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    The helix can send midi note formation - and patch/controller messages - per button press - take the synth audio into helix for processing and you can get some fantastic sounds

16. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Meister

Jun 5, 2014
    london
    yes I understand this is the case, I'll wait for the implementation before commenting further

codamedia likes this.
  17. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I had a little alesis box I fed from computer by midi..It had a couple great ones.

I really wish I had a real DX7 at times..that was the cats meow...

18. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Not yet, but I believe it will happen in the near future. Currently you can trigger notes with the footswitches, and you can do simple mono synth lines through the Helix itself with a guitar. However, Polyphonic tracking/pitch shifting is on the horizon which will open the doors for "pitch to midi". This is likely to happen sooner than later.

Following that, there is a lot of talk about adding full synth capabilities to the Helix (LFO's, Multi oscilators, multi envelopes, etc...) which would turn it into a full blown synth. This is more of a dream that is gaining traction. The other feature is 99.9% likely to happen within a couple updates, this one still sits in the 50/50 category.

That is a very good point. I shouldn't get too excited about it until I see it ;)... but I am optimistic.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    The Audiokit FM Player nails all the DX7 sounds in an app. Free too.

uriah1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.