Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A New Pickup Winder Scratch Build!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Barncaster, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Hey All,

I said I'd do this during this year's challenge so here it is, my new pickup winder scratch build! The premise was to use a solid design from Herb with a few twists. First thing to find was an enclosure. I thought about my old Star Trek lunch box but that was too small. One of the issues Herb had with his last winder was that the shaft pulley was too small @ 2" resulting in shaft speeds that were not usable. With a bigger enclosure I could fit a 3" or larger shaft pulley and at the local salvage yard, I found this! The guy behind the counter said "Gonna go home and fill er up?" I said "yep" but not with what he was thinking.

Rob

Attached Files:

2. Barncaster

Hey All,

So with helper Luke, we set off on this grand adventure today. I have a Sears sewing machine motor off eBay, a 3" pulley from Home Depot, a Harbor Freight router speed controller, bearings, set screw collars, screws, 3/8" steel rod and other assorted stuff stuff from the local hardware store. The motor is a tight fit. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the can and mocked up the motor. The larger pulley should give a more usable range of winding speeds, at least for the novice. And yes, the very next thing Luke did was to put on his safety glasses and bring his iPod down so we could blast some Pepe Romero flamenco for the build! Yes, I have a 7 year old who want to play flamenco.......... He thinks it will be easy to learn as they just strum really fast........ Some of life's musical bumps just must be hit I guess. :rolleyes:

Rob

Attached Files:

3. Barncaster

Onward!

Hey All,

Soooo, how to mount the shaft bearings. I cut up some poplar into squares and forstnered recepticles for the bearings. Spritzed a little Behlen's amber on them for effect and was good to go. The original thought was to mount the bearing blocks on the inside of the can but with the motor width and pulled real estate requirements, at least the left one would have to be outside.

Rob

Attached Files:

4. Barncaster

Drilling the Can....

Hey All,

I have to say that working in wood for this project probably would have been easier. Drilling flexible tin does not make for accurate hole locations. In retrospect, I should have filled the can with wood solidly so the sides wouldn't deflect. A little grinding with the Dremel rotary file for things usable but one note of caution here, this creates very painful metal slivers that are everywhere and hard to see. Even using a collecton magnet inside was of little help. Holes drilled were for the main shaft, the guide shaft and for the bearing block holding screws. Tomorrow I will drill for the power cord. rubber feet screw holes and the counter hole. The leather mechanic's gloves really helped. Safety glasses will help you avoid a trip to the ER to get metal sliver removed from your eyes.......

Rob

Attached Files:

5. Barncaster

Onto the Mock-Up!

Hey All,

Used a template to drill the bearing block screw holes. Ended up with both blocks on the outside. The original concept was to have the winder can big enough to carry all my winding supplies in it as well; a spool or two of wire, eyelets, magnets, etc. I'm trying to get organized here! :rolleyes: A version 3 may happen if I still think the original concept has merit. The last picture shows the pulley mock-up. The shaft spins and the pulley fits! The pulley will be cyanoacrylated to the shaft. The assymetrical design will allow for future belt changes if needed. It looks like both shaft set screw collars will be on the right side or I may just slip a teflon washer between the pulley and side and use an internal set screw collar on the right. Back to the hardware store tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can transfer the guts of the Harbor Freight router speed controller to the can so the speed control knob can be surface mounted next to the counter. We will see. I don't want to get to cavallier with my modest fab skills and temp fate! :mad:

Rob

Attached Files:

6. Barncaster

Thanks Robbie!

7. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2011
    Claremont, CA
    That ammo can looks cool and isn't that really what it's all about? No way that thing's not going to add a little mojo to each pickup. Can't wait to see it done.

8. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Mar 9, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, very cool though until I googled 7.62mm I had no idea it originally carried ammo - nice to see something in metric I guess:rolleyes:

If I had more mechanical aptitude I'd be stealing some ideas for sure. Who knows what the future may bring ... thanks for sharing.

9. Barncaster

Hey Matt and Mod,

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm doing this not only because I want a better winder but also to help anyone out there who is considering the Challenge next year. Home brew pups will probably be mandatory so why not get equipment together and practice now? It's not rocket science and it's fun! My 2 cents.

Rob

10. Barncaster

Hey Mod,

7.62mm, speaking strictly in terms of diameter, is .308" to me! :twisted:

Rob

11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    An ammo can , that is cool !

12. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
    Instead of drilling thin metal, I find those punches that you tighten with a wrench a great clean way of putting holes in sheet. Don't know what they are called...

13. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    This is a good idea for a thread.

14. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Jan 6, 2008
    Franklin, TN
    Great idea to to re-purpose. I will be watching, 'cause somewhere down the timeline I'll be making pickups too.

15. milkshape

milkshape Tele-Holic

Nov 16, 2006
    New England
    great Idea, I've never been happy with my attempts. Truing the faceplate that the bobbin mounts to has been my nemesis. Looking forward to your solution. Keep it going!

Thought on more space in the box...and old tower PC chassis? May be too flexible, but you never know.

16. Barncaster

Thanks Herb! Well, it came with a handle and was the right size and price. My original thought was a mannequin head with the shafts coming out the ears and the speed control knob on her nose. Add a bouffant wig and I bet it would wind some serious 60's pups. That will be version 3. :)

Rob

17. Barncaster

Thanks Robbie, I always could use more tools!

Rob

18. Barncaster

Thanks Guit, MG and Milk,

More garage time today hopefully. I've got a set of Firebird pickups to wind for a future build as well as a home brew Tele humbucker to design and wind. This should be fun!

Rob

19. junk mutt

junk mutt Tele-Meister

May 12, 2008
    Englandland
    Hi Rob, This is a great idea for a thread. I'm going to be attempting to build my own winder in the not too distant future and I'm sure these pages will be visited by me and other wannabe pickup makers as a great point of reference.
    Now, where did I put that dummies head?:lol:
    Thanks again mate.:cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.