Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A long, strange Partscaster journey ...

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by BubbaTheHutt, Aug 28, 2017.

1. BubbaTheHutt

BubbaTheHutt TDPRI Member

Aug 18, 2017
    US
    So a few years ago (maybe 10), I picked up a partscaster off the FleaBay ... semi-hollow body with an all rosewood neck (didn't figure I'd ever drop the coin on a full rosewood/Harrison CS tele ...). But, the kid who I bought it from had routed the body out for 2 buckers ... poorly (it appears he tried to use a hand drill). And then, having buggered the job, he slapped in a cheap Gibson bucker in the bridge, and jammed a Hot Rails into the ugly gash at the neck.

So, I had seen a custom comic book covered guitar done by a luthier in CA. I looked him up, and made a deal to send him the body and an extra copy of West Coast Avengers #43 (from John Byrne's run on WCA, for any of you Marvel fans). He did his best to properly finish and shield the routs, and did a great collage job with the comic under vintage tinted nitro.

When I got it back, I put in some underwound Reverend PAFs, 5 way Big Apple switching, and 2 push-pull pots for in/out phase and series/parallel. Lots of options ... and only 2-3 sounded good to my ears. Only played it on a couple of live gigs, and never in the studio. Then I bought a Les Paul and later a semi-hollow (Godin Flat Five), so I had the HH vibe covered in spades. The "Wacko"caster (fans/haters refer to the WCAs as the Wackos) sat in its case ...

Last week I decided to give it a new life, but went the cheap & easy route (I shudder to add up what I have spent on this guitar over the years only to not play it): GFS Goldfoil single-coil alnico in the neck, GFS Surf 90 (Dynasonic clone) in the bridge, and one of their Kwickplug harnesses so I don't have to embarrass myself soldering. I had two goals: make it feel like a tele again with the humbucker-sized single coils, and chase a little of that Coodercaster mojo (really into Blake Mills and Joey Landreth lately).

Best $100 I have ever spent on a guitar! The Surf 90 is all twang, the Goldfoil is warm and bluesy, and the middle (hum canceled because the neck is RW) is a great balance. Sounds great through my Fender, even better through my Vox rig. Plus, I dig the ugly duckling aesthetic.

The Wackocaster rides again! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2012
    USA
    Definately a one of a kind. :)

I'll bet it plays and sounds great though.

Guitarfetish has some intersting takes on his pick-ups. I played a few of his gretsch clones... pretty decent, very usable.

3. BubbaTheHutt

Aug 18, 2017
    US
    I almost went with the Retro-trons in the bridge, but then they brought out the Surf 90. Still a Gretsch vibe, but different than the cabronita sound.

MahoganyStratDZ likes this.

4. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Holic

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Good job BubbaTheHutt !

It seems that some of us are free to go wherever our imagination takes us. Your imagination, my soldering skills and a few old Beanos could take us places!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
    BubbaTheHutt likes this.

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Holy Cow! Bet that bad boy can pick up radio stations! I like...............

BubbaTheHutt likes this.

7. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    uuuuuu naaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

liking it really a lot !

BubbaTheHutt likes this.

8. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher TDPRI Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Houston
    That's really interesting. Not my cup of tea aesthetically, but I can't help but love it.

BubbaTheHutt likes this.

9. BubbaTheHutt

Aug 18, 2017
    US
    Surprisingly little 60 cycle hum, and I only got the local radio coming through with a massive amount of gain (boost > OD > boost > dirty amp).

10. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Are you shielded?
    I am a big fan of the GFS gold foils. I want to try the Dearmond in an Artcore I have that just wants to jangle. Love the look.

BubbaTheHutt likes this.

11. BubbaTheHutt

Aug 18, 2017
    US
    Yes, the cavities were completely covered in shielding film, and the GFS website often brags about potting their pickups with "more wax than a crayon" ... not sure it that is true (or useful), but I was more than pleasantly surprised by the low noise floor.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.