Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A long day:

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Thursday, I had a dental appointment, then after that a doctors appointment, then after that, a trip to pick up my Honda where I had taken it in for repairs. I had given up finding an electrical problem and thought to enlist the aid of a professional who not only didn't fix the problem, but seemed unable to comprehend the problem. By the time I waded through that day, in days long past I would have had to have visited with Mr. Daniels before and after dinner.

The next day though, seem to be going okay though. Then I took my old buddy into the vets office to have a nail tune up, I take him to the vet because he has a nail that was torn a long time ago, and needs special care in trimming, and they don't charge me much to do it.

While I was in the little room waiting for them to come get Toto, a friendly looking old black lab stuck his head around the corner as they were bringing him in and looked to be saying how you doin' buddy. Toto greeted him, and the lab was taken into a room that I had not noticed before. They took Toto away to do his nail trim, and the vet came in and went in the back room, and was only there a minute, he came out looking a little stressed. It suddenly dawned on me, I had never seen any dog come in through the back door, and I realized that this was most likely the portal to the last roundup!

As we checked out, I asked Brenda at the desk if that back door led to the last roundup and she confirmed that it did and the doc had done five of them that day before old Blackie came in. I kept seeing that friendly old face, and wondering about him for a long while after we left. He sure didn't look like he was on his last leg, but I reckon I'll never know.

Later, my wife said, you know what I found a gift card that I had misplaced lets go eat somewhere. We decided on an Italian place since it was on the list of places honoring the car. As we turned onto the road that leads across town to the restaurant, we encountered a horrific wreck. Some sort of small car, and a pickup truck. The car was so badly damaged it looked like one of those cars you see on a truck along with a dozen others that have been squashed for recycling. To boot it was up against a telephone pole.

When we returned from dinner, the road was still closed. I'm pretty sure some of or perhaps all of the folks involved might have been heading for the last round up too. Today, I'm gonna watch the U.S. Open, and try not to think about the last couple of days.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    That’s a lot to carry around for such a short period of time, TD.

Mr Green Genes and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    The vet visit would have done me in. Tomorrow will be better.

Mr Green Genes and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    My days usually go a lot better than the last couple have. I should have thought a little about scheduling a little better. I only had about an hour between the dentist and the doctors office. When you're old they ask you some pretty silly questions, have you hop around, take your BP and THEN give you a cardiogram! All of my stuff, was good though, and the doc is gambling I'll live another six months because he made an appointment to do the whole thing all over again in six months! :D

That car wreck, and that old Lab with those big old brown eyes are still lingering in my mind this morning.

5. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I find euthanasia even for the best of reasons something that would be impossible to deal with.
    It disturbs me just hearing about the black lab.
    Dogs hit me right in the heart for some reason.

6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    That reminds me of the guy who went to the doctor and he gave him six months to live. The guy didn’t have enough money to pay him, so the doctor gave him another six months!

7. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    In life there are a lot of happy days :) ... and then a sad day :(

8. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I know there are many who feel euthanasia is a good thing, I'm not going to argue that, but the old guy came in under his own power, and seemed in good spirits, one of those big old smiley labs. It also looked to me like that the owner was not present, because the lady who brought the dog in I'm sure is an employee of the animal hospital. She was wearing a shirt with the Vet's name on it. I'm sure it was all over before I finished mulling it over in my mind and reached the conclusion he was a goner. Besides that, I don't know what I could have done about it, his fate seemed to have been sealed when he was brought into the place.

I did find out from the local news, as bad as the wreck was, that both people involved are at present still alive, with only one being in critical condition. The driver, who was on the wrong side of the road that caused the accident was taken to the hospital with minor injuries. There is no other info available at this time. I'm thankful that they both survived the wreck.

9. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2018
    U.S.
    I went with my dog to the last roundup. I looked her in the eye the whole time and told her everything was ok. One of the hardest things I've ever done.

10. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I've had to take two of my best friends to that portal. I told Mrs injax that the next time she may as well send me through, too.

11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have had way worse days, but I usually go sailing along in life so unperturbed, that a bad day seems to have more impact on my now than it once did. In general I'm like that old lab, I just go around grinning at everyone and enjoying the days I have left, hoping someone doesn't sneak up on me with a hypo in his hand.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Thanks for sharing all that, it serves to remind me that most of the "stuff" I have to deal with is pretty inconsequential.
    And....you've got to tell yourself that the black lab had some serious issue that wasn't apparent....maybe he was in terrible pain, and like most dogs, just sucked it up and got on with what he had to do.....and NOW, he's running in a green meadow, chasing rabbits he'll never catch, but there'll be a big ole bowl of Alpo waiting for him whenever he wants it.
    ......you've just GOT to tell yourself......

Tele1966, Toto'sDad and boredguy6060 like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I try to do just that. I do think old Hank Jr. got it right though when he penned.

If they don't have a Grand Ole Opry
    Like they do in Tennessee
    Just send me to Hell or New York City
    It would be about the same to me

william tele and tery like this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    A couple we know (she’s a vet/he’s in IT) recently relocated to New Orleans. I noticed a stringy skinny stripe-faced curly haired cat at their going away party & kept remarking how cool it looked and the next day got a text that they wanted to give it to my wife and I cuz the move was going to stress it too much.

We’ve had it a couple months and our big black Tom cat Notch loves it . He’s the black lab of the cat world so it didn’t surprise me.

Anyway, the vet part of that couple started out at a shelter where her speciality was sending dogs and cats on their final journey. She could handle it while others just couldn’t . I asked her one time how she could do hundreds and hundreds and did it ever bother her ?

She said some did but usually she was there to do a job as quickly and professionally as possible and help both the animal and the human by preparing them (telling them whT will happen) , then the injection, then leaving them alone together .

She has done her own animals as well and is glad it’s not a stranger but said of course, those are the hardest.

8barlouie, Toto'sDad and boredguy6060 like this.
  15. boredguy6060

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    She sounds wonderful, but I wouldn’t give her medical Power of Attorney! :lol:

16. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I guess it's all about mind set. I used to play golf many years ago with an old guy that was a bomber pilot in World War II. He had shot a guy to death during a hold up at a grocery store he managed quite a while before I met him, but I remembered his name from an article I'd read in the papers about the incident. Finally when the course was backed up on seventeen one day, I asked him if it bothered him shooting that guy. He said not a bit. He further related that when he was ferrying bombs to Berlin, he probably had been responsible for hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths. He said if I'm gonna have to pay for that one day, one more isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference. His first name was John, and he had one of those little tiny Cadillac Cimarron's when they came out in the early 80s. I can't for the life of me remember his last name, and I played golf with him a lot.

8barlouie likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Yeah, come in to see her because you've got a headache, and she'd probably say. Just lay down on this table right here big boy, and I'll fix that for GOOD!

boredguy6060 likes this.
  18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Old Toto is coming up on his fifteenth birthday. We lost Bella in early March at a little over fourteen years of age. I know he can't be too far behind. I can't tell you what a friend he has been to me, he came along at a perfect time since I was nearing retirement, and for the last seven years since I've bene retired, he's been my constant companion. Even if (I) were going to live a long time, I know there is NO (ZERO) chance I'd ever have another buddy like him. I'm not even gonna try. When he's gone, he's the caboose.

19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    If he gets to the pearly gates, God and/or St Peter might judge him more harshly on the "little Cadillac" than on his responsibility for deaths .

"Why can't I come in - I've been good - people love me !"

"It's that damn car - now get outta here ! I'm not gonna tell ya again !"

God & St Pete,spitting into the dirt - "Cimarron ? Was he serious ? I'm embarrassed for him !"

Toto'sDad and boredguy6060 like this.
  20. boredguy6060

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    Yeah, my advise to Mike Eskimo would be, I wouldn’t complain much when you get old about all the pain you’re having, she may want to “help you out”.
    I’m just kidding, no offense intended.

Mike Eskimo and Toto'sDad like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.