Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

a little progress today and more questions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by PonyExpress, Oct 2, 2017.

1. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    well I ordered the maple neck wood blank today from bell forest products. Also bought a piece of alder for the body. Decided to get a 5 inch x 8/4 10 foot long. Going to make a 3 piece body . will make 2 blanks. it will be glued up and thickness planed to 1 3/4 inches

I still can not find a free pdf of a dimensioned tele neck drawing. Templates are ordered and on the way need additional info/dimensions like start and stop points of the truss rod route and the depth/width. Stuff that isn't gotten from a template.

Is there in existence a manual so to speak with an approximate step sequence and tech specs/ dimensions?

Im have a pretty good feel for the steps and such with having watched endless hours of youtube videos, but when you get to a point where you need a measurement that you don't have where do you go? Here?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2017

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

3. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    ya'll keep posting that german web page. I cant find anything there. There is one neck drawing but no dimensions. How about the specific link to the actual drawing? that would help me since I don't speak/read german.

i have followed many many links only to find nothing due maybe to photo blackmail or the like.

It would be so much better if you would just give the link to the actual drawing instead of the thread page. The hours I have spent looking on google looking is staggering.

Not complaining just frustrated.

here's an example
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/full-scale-tele-style-plans.483205/

there's a link to a page. lots of plans listed there. but nothing you can click on to get anything. What am I doing wrong?

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas

5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    pdf.png The dimensions are the fret spacing for a fender scale...25.5". You can calculate the stewmac fret spacing calculator to get the fret spacing for your number of frets.

https://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

You need to open the PDF for the neck on the German site. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat Reader on my computer for the task.
    True..there are no dimensions.... so you go to the box at the top which is at 21% and click on 100%. Then print it out.

If you have a CAD program, you can open the DXF too, and dimension with the drawing tools.

Really you only need the peghead shape, the fret spacing, and the nut width and neck width to make a drawing or pattern with a simple long straight edge and ruler. The end of the neck radii are .25". The two lines for the nut are .125" apart.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

6. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas

Ok. I get it now. Thank you guitarbuilder. sometimes I don't see the forest because of the trees.

7. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Most of us have made our own templates from that same drawing so you don't really need the dimensions. The Terry Downs body drawing matches perfectly with it. Both are accurate.

8. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    seems like there should be a place on here where the drawings we need live and are easily accessed

9. brownale99

brownale99 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2017
    Newcastle, UK
    This is about as comprehensive a set of diagrams as I've found from Jmo426 and there's a load more on here too.

Full Tele Plans

The website is www.julimorcreations.com just click on guitars in the menu then scroll down to tele plans at the bottom of the page. You've linked the page above and said you couldn't get anything but I've just tried it and barring one pdf everything works.

10. PonyExpress

PonyExpress Tele-Meister

Sep 28, 2017
    Texas
    now there's some drawings I haven't seen yet Brownale. Thanks

11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Keep in mind that neck drawing is not vintage. Also, I'm not sure what changes were made to the T Downs body drawing but his initials are in the rev section. The original T Downs drawing is much clearer and the lines much smoother. This other one is jagged. I've attached a neck plan from the same guy that is probably closer to vintage and cleaner.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.