Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A Literal "Carved Top"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by skipjackrc4, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada

2. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Yeah, what he said^^^^
    I just read the WHOLE thread, but it's not finished ::eek::
    I turned the page expecting it to continue and, and, and...

Has anyone told you how cool this is? wait, I might have read that somewhere...
    Fantastic! Beautiful! Amazing!
    waiting, waiting, waiting . . . still waiting ;)

3. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    Thanks guys. I definitely will finish it, and hopefully fairly soon. I've just been really busy with other things and other projects. I have vowed to not start another woodworking project until this one is done.

Thanks!

4. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    OK, let's work on that neck!

Before finishing up the floor of the pegbox and adding the spiral bushings, I decided to play around with the end and try a new "scroll" of sorts. Traditionally, violins have this on the end of the pegbox:

[​IMG]

While these are actually really neat looking, they are on almost every violin ever made, and I like to use different designs.

I started by drilling a hole at a sharp angle using a brad point bit. This took over a minute, as I drilled REALLY slowly to avoid tear out.

[​IMG]

The result, after cutting a small slit with a coping saw:

[​IMG]

After some time on a belt grinder (1") and some filing/chiseling:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is it for tonight. I need to pick up a new #9 gouge to carve out the scoop that transitions to the hole. I was using a really small one, but that turned out to be too uneven. The local Woodcraft carries Pfiel chisels, so hopefully tomorrow I will be able to continue.

I'm liking this design. I think it looks better that the pictures indicate, but maybe that's just me. I'll post some better angles after getting it more complete.

5. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Glad to see more progress on this one!

6. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    Me too :D

7. darren7

darren7 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2009
    Greater Toronto Area
    I just found this thread, and i have to say this is one of the more beautiful electric violins i've ever seen. Just stunning work!

8. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    OK, time to finish this thing!

I've spent the last two weeks or so cleaning up the tooling marks in the transitions. It's slow going, as there are a lot of pretty tight corners. I've got the top done and started on the bottom last night. Pics to come later today.

9. nofrets

nofrets Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    West Virginia
    Great! I just read through the whole thread for the first time today - glad to hear there's more coming - this is really beautiful work!

10. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    One of the things that was preventing me from finishing this thing was my lack of good chisels. The cheapo Stanleys I had just wouldn't hold an edge and were way too thick to get into some of the tight spots that this violin has. I've been wanting to get a full set of half-way decent chisels for a while, so I finally bit the bullet recently.

Of course, buying 10 new chisels means sharpening 10 new chisels (and lapping their backs), so I got a Work Sharp 3000 electric sharpener as well. I set it up in my living room on the coffee table because it's way too cold out in the garage right now.

[​IMG]

The chisels all waiting their turn:
    [​IMG]

Another problem I had last time I was working on this was that of inadequate lighting. I set up a fiber optic microscope light to be able to get good lighting without shadows anywhere I need it.

[​IMG]

This is a "before" picture of one of the transitions:
    [​IMG]

It doesn't look so bad in the pic, but you can see that's it's not all that smooth and there's some roughness in the corner.

For the topside of the violin, that has all been taken care of now:

[​IMG]

Most of the "roughness" you see here is just sawdust wedged in the corner. Now I just need to do the same thing to the back side.

Captain Nutslot likes this.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan

12. barbrainy

barbrainy RIP

Mar 2, 2012
    Northampton, UK
    I think you need more chisels.

Really cool looking body, makes me hungry cos it looks a bit like one of those plaited loaves.

13. paulmarr

paulmarr Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Adelaide, Australia
    LOL - I was thinking the same thing ... Easter buns of some sort? Some glaze on that body and it looks good enough to eat!

14. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    I agree!

I could post pictures of chisel backs that are slightly flatter than they were yesterday, but I don't think anyone would find it all that interesting...

15. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    I've had a few concerns with this build that have kind of discouraged me from continuing with it. I wasn't terribly pleased with the way the maple fittings contrasted with the cherry body--they were too close in color. I was also worried about using friction pegs in a cherry pegbox--the cherry is too soft and would soon go out of round, rendering the pegs useless. Maple bushings in the peg holes could help with this, but even then, the wood could still be crushed.

I'm replacing the friction pegs with planetary geared pegs, which should arrive next week. That will solve the tuning problem. As for the maple fittings, well, they're being replaced with bocote.

I started with piece of bocote:
    [​IMG]

And resawed it to be closer to the correct thickness:
    [​IMG]

Not bad for a $200 Craftsman bandsaw. It took about 5 seconds to cut:
    [​IMG]

Bandsawn to the line and template:
    [​IMG]

Sanding the bottom to remove the resaw marks:
    [​IMG]

The sander didn't do a perfect job, but it's pretty flat on the granite reference plate. Close enough for something that is fully suspended by string tension above the instrument body.
    [​IMG]

Using a contour gauge to make sure that the two sides are symmetrical:
    [​IMG]

The scoop in the underside of the tailpiece is made using a spindle sander:
    [​IMG]

Like this:
    [​IMG]

The wide end of the tailpiece was then rounded to match the curvature of the bridge. I didn't get any pics of this, but I used a belt sander to rough it out.

Violin tailpieces have a hollow cut into the non-string end so that a nylon string can be installed to suspend the tailpiece at the end of the instrument. I cut that using a fortsner bit and this setup:
    [​IMG]

Halfway there:
    [​IMG]

Done with hollowing the end:
    [​IMG]

A similar hollow has to be cut in the underside of the tailpiece to allow the nylon tailgut to be tied off. This is done at a 20 degree angle, and trig told me where to begin the cut.

The jig looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And it turned out like this:
    [​IMG]

That's all I've got for now. It was too hot in the garage to do any more today.

16. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

Apr 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    All I can say is… WOW! I wish I had the talent you do my friend!

I_build_my_own likes this.

17. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I'd given up on this build. Really glad to see it's back on the rails.

I_build_my_own likes this.

18. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    Yeah I'd given up as well for a while. But no longer!

It was cool enough in the garage today to get some more done on the tail piece. There are four holes that anchor the strings. Because of the curvature of the tailpiece, each hole has to be drilled at an angle. The angle was measured using one of those sliding bevel things:
    [​IMG]

I cut a 2x4 to the correct angle and drilled like this:
    [​IMG]

The tailpiece was clamped to the jig using a band clamp. It worked pretty well.
    [​IMG]

All done:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nylon tailgut runs through the back of the tailpiece to be strapped to the back of the instrument. Two 1/8" holes work for that:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tailgut installed:
    [​IMG]

19. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    The bocote is a bit light in color for my tastes. A single coat of Candlelight stain from General Finishes gets it right where I want it:
    [​IMG]

I_build_my_own and kwerk like this.

20. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.