Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by skipjackrc4, Jan 6, 2013.
I suppose I should have mentioned this in the previous post. Because of where the jack is located, I can't drill any straight holes without going through the side of the instrument. I have enough room to tap something in, like a brad, but I can't really drill anything. Unless somebody knows of a tiny right angle drill attachment. I'd love to use screws if I can.
This may seem like a bizarre suggestion, but have you visited your dentist lately?
Hmm.. that's a game changer.. How about really thin Velcro?
I think I may have found something that will work. I'll have to measure to make sure that this will fit, but it just might.
Or just some of this. It's paper thin and has tons of holding power.
That is absolutely amazing. Great work.
Well, I just measured, and the drill attachment won't fit. I have 2.3" clearance inside, and the adapter is 2" by itself.
Rich Rice, how thin is that velcro, do you know? It doesn't seem to specify on the Sear's website.
RogerC, do you think that tape would be able to hold up to getting yanked on like cables tend to be? I've never used the StewMac tape, though I've heard good things about it.
I plan on running by the hardware store tomorrow to try to find a hex shank bit for standard jack plate screws. I'm thinking about drilling it by hand. A 3/32" hole 1/2" deep shouldn't be too hard, right?...
No, I just Googled Ultra Thin Velcro, and picked one. Seems like it's worth a look anyhow, it's not expensive.
I haven't used the Stewmac tape they sell now, the stuff they used to sell was "Venture Tape", which is strong, but very thin. I'm not sure of the 3M stuff.
I just got some of the 3M stuff a few weeks ago because I finally ran out of the Venture. It seems to feel and hold exactly like the Venture. Unless you look at the printing on the inside of the roll, you can't tell a difference.
As for holding through repeated pulling of the plug, I'd think there would be a lot less force exerted on the jack since you're using the smaller version.
Well, I was able to drill a hole today by hand in a test piece. It took a while, but is straight and not too out-of-round. I think that's what I'll do.
I got the jack plate installed last night. There is a small bit of reshaping I'm going to do, but it fits pretty well.
I'm worried that 2 screws will not hold up very well, so I might wind up using a few dabs of hide glue to keep it from flexing. Just a couple diluted drops should be easy enough to remove when necessary.
Well, I moved last week, and was home for a little while. While I was there, I decided to remake the neck because I wound up cutting the pegbox floor a little too thin (1mm instead of 3mm).
So, lots of power tool pics!
Violin necks are angled at about 4 degrees, so the first step is to cut that angle with the table saw.
The assistant was sleeping on the job...
Next, I set up my dovetail jig that uses a custom laser-cut acrylic template. Alignment is the key here. I need a better jig.
Underneath the jig:
Well, the cut was pretty good. I'm going to have to do a small bit of adjustment to the body side of the joint, but I'm pleased with it.
I bandsaw out the neck profile and then sand to shape.
I don't have a brad point bit that is the right diameter for the tuning pegs. I like them to be accurate, though, so I drill a pilot hole with a small bradpoint:
And then use that to align a DeWalt bit:
Next, I draw the neck taper and leave the pegbox walls parallel to each other.
Fresh off the bandsaw:
I don't have a picture of this process, but I use a 1x42 belt grinder to cut the angle on the heal of the neck.
I rough out the radius using a sanding belt.
And rough out the transitions using a ROSS:
I still need to carve out the peg box. Hopefully that will happen this weekend.
That's looking fantastic. So much patience and talent on display here.
I like the sanding belt idea, Ièll have to try that.
Yeah, I use a 50 grit to start, then a quick 120. The final work is all done with files, of course, but this only takes about 10 minutes on a violin neck. It's pretty hard to mess up too badly unless you try to take too much off.
This build is on a whole other level. Way too cool man!