Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

A Literal "Carved Top"

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by skipjackrc4, Jan 6, 2013.

1. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    So first off, this is not a tele, or even a guitar. It's an electric violin. I'm posting it here because I think some people will find it interesting, and hopefully someone will be inspired to do something similar. I plan on doing a guitar version of this someday, but thought I'd start with a smaller instrument.

I'm living in an apartment for the next several months, away from my power tools. To fight off boredom, I rough cut this thing back home and brought it and my hand tools with me.

[​IMG]

The body is solid cherry, as is the neck. The idea is to carve the body into a 3D celtic knot. There are lines penciled in, but they hardly show up in the picture.

[​IMG]

The neck joint that I use for electric violins is a tapered dovetail. This will be glued in right after carving.

I've done a few celtic knot carves before, but nothing this big. Hopefully I don't screw it up... We'll see.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Wow! That's exquisite. I'm anxious to see it progress.

3. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2012
    Kelowna B.C, Canada
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2010
    New Zealand
    That's fantastic! This is going to be great fun to watch, what a terrific idea.

6. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    Thanks guys! I was going to start cutting down the outer edges, but I need a new coping saw blade. Hopefully Lowe's will have them and I can start tomorrow.

7. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Mind.............Blowing! :D, I can't wait for next post ;)

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Oh yes, really interesting concept!

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    That is awesome! Carving it looks like fun. Can't wait to see.

10. Moldy Oldy

Moldy Oldy Tele-Meister

Jun 25, 2012
    Mission Viejo, CA
    This is gonna be cool.

11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Very unique! Congratulations

12. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

13. adirondak5

adirondak5 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    WOW , I'll be watching this ;)

14. fretman_2

fretman_2 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2011
    Mobile, AL
  15. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Fantastic:eek: subscribed.

16. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Get carving already, will ya? We're dying here!

17. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Cool - I like that!

18. skipjackrc4

skipjackrc4 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    USA
    I got the saw blades today. The plan is to use the coping saw to cut down the external edges and clean them up with a chisel. After getting all the 3D heights set, I will go through and start rounding things over and cleaning up chiseling marks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here I chiseled about half of the length. You can see the block on the end where I stopped with the coping saw. That will be chiseled out as well.

[​IMG]

This is that side done for now. Everything is pretty smooth (except for the end, which will be rounded over anyway). This cherry is a almost effortless to carve. Which is good, because it gets a lot harder from here.

You may have noticed the grooves in the side. Those are routed in using a drawer bottom bit and are there to hold a shoulder rest. I'll post a picture of this later, for those who are not familiar with violins. Unfortunately, I have to work around these grooves, so the symmetry will be off a little. Oh well. No real way around that.

I plan on doing several more sections today, while relaxing my hand in between. I tend to hold chisels too tightly and can get cramps if I'm not careful. Also, I need to adjust the white balance on the Nikon. The cherry is not actually bright yellow :rolleyes:

19. buckallred

buckallred Tele-Meister

Mar 3, 2008
    Sacramento
  20. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 23, 2010
    East Tennessee
    What he said :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.