Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

A just-curious question about my AC15

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by RoscoeElegante, Aug 13, 2017.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Had a fine Magellan moment: plugged straight in to the AC15C1 yesterday for a glorious time-don't-matter session. Fiddled with the dials as never before. Found that with the guitar plugged into the Top Boost (vol. about halfway), if I turned the Normal volume all the way up, the TB sounded sweeter and smoother than with the Normal vol. halfway up or, as I had been playing it for years, all the way down. It seemed particularly touch-sensitive this way, too. Really lovely.

Just curious why this is so. How, electro-guts-wise, do the TB and Normal channels (right term?) interact to cause this?

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've got an AC15C1. I know the knobs are supposed to be "interactive" compared to other amps. I always play on the Normal channel. Maybe I'll mess around with it like you did.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

3. igor5

igor5 TDPRI Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Brazil
    I'm always on normal channel too.

4. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    The Tweed Deluxe is the same, altering the volume on the unused channel changes the input impedance - lowers the initial gain which can tend to harshness.

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    Nice find. This is why I prefer normal amps to modelling ones. Even with a lot less options there's still a stack of tones hidden away all based on a vibe you love. On mine though if you go the other way, normal channel with TB all the way up it causes a horrible hiss. Not so good.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    While strictly speaking, you are indeed correct, but...... There is a plethora of different tonal subtleties to be coaxed out of a "GOOD" Tweed Deluxe at particular "Sweet Spots" of those interactive volume controls. One of the first things to learn is that you "rarely" want either channel's volume turned up all the way to 12. A sweet spot for either individual channel is between 5 & 9 1/2 or 10. Then blend in the other channel gently to help create a sweet, airy, almost out of phase type of sound, kinda like when using two out of phase pickups in parallel, but achieved on just a single pickup. Now, if you happen to crank the amp up all the way, you CAN get some great lower pickup volume tones, but as soon as you crank the guitar up also, the amp goes into fairly severe compression, almost making you think the amp broken, but an interesting tone & effect with only limited usefulness. Some folks like to ride the line between the compression and no compression, but I prefer a more normal dynamic response.

Sorry to Roscoe for hijacking this thread with talk of Tweeds, but the example adds validity to the amazing subtleties that can be "discovered" through careful adjusting & tweaking of amps that have interactive channel capabilities! While I've never had the pleasure of being able to be a "VOX GUY," as a life long, touring sound engineer I've certainly heard some amazing tones coming from Vox AC15s & AC30s, without any foot/stomp/floor/pedal thingies involved!:cool: The key seems to be to get your best single channel "CORE" sound (with either channel) and then use the other channel to gently modify and color that core sound. Then try the other channel to get as close to your "CORE" sound as possible and again, gently add the other channel. Just because one channel "affects" the other does not mean that plugging into each channel is the same. Also, bear in mind that while some of those "airy" tones can be very cool for quieter passages in some songs, those sounds don't always "cut through the mix" when the band is crankin' so you need to figure how to effectively "leave" those sounds when done using them, usually by just barely utilizing their affect in the first place. Play around. You ain't gonna break it!:eek::p Understand that I'm a "Straight into the amp kinda guy" and always have been, so this all makes perfect sense to me, as the volume control on my guitar tends to be my main tone and distortion/overdrive modifier, but if you're a pedal aficionado this may be a bit foreign to you. Try packin' your pedals (except wah-wah, of course) away in the closet for a week or two and let me know how it works out for ya! My bet is that you'll be sharing recordings of "new found" toenzz! Then try adding them pedals, only to find that they're only needed in limited quantities. My best tip is to NOT let pedals be the core of your tone/sound, but instead play the bejeezus outa that amp! :D And, as mentioned to you before, great pic in your avatar! :) What a lovely land barge! Wish it were mine or yours.:cry:

Just My $.02,
    Gene

Richie-string and RoscoeElegante like this.

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Listen to Ballzz, he knows of what he speaks and I agree with all his comments. I keep my Deluxe on 7 and dial it back on the guitar. There is a lot of tonal range just it subtle moves of the guitar volume knob with this approach.

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I've noticed this with my AC15 too. I think the channels bleed through into each other a little. For example, if you plug into the top boost and leave the volume all the way down, but then crank the normal channel volume, you'll hear the guitar.

9. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Someday I need an ABY switch so I can blend both channels together

10. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    that's exactly what i do and it sounds great. don't even need a pedal.

play music!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.